1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Furnace and water heater questions

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by kingston73, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Aug 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    The wife and I need a new furnace and water heater, our house was built in 79 and it still has the original heaters!:eek: We have oil heat plus a wood stove that we use as our primary source of heat so we don't go through much oil at all each year. I think last year we may have used 500 gallons for the year?

With that back ground, I wanted to know if any of you have any opinions on water and furnace brands. I've had 3 companies come out and give things a look but only 1 has sent me back an estimate. For that 1 estimate they're offering a John Wood direct fired water heater, a williamson thb 105 furnace and a carlin oil fired burner for $5950 total price. That includes taking the old stuff out and getting rid of it.

I know natural gas is the cheapest but that's not available, and like I said we keep the upstairs warm for most of the winter with wood, so does anybody see anything wrong with this estimate or any of the components? This will be the first major "upgrade" for our house so we are both a little nervous about making a bad decision but at the same time we need something before next winter.

2. Aug 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    ziggynagy

ziggynagy All Glory To The Hypnotoad

Member:
    Stoughton, MA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport AC 4x4 V6 Auto Tow
    Westin step bars, led dome & map lights, tailgate hoseclamp, BluLogic, MetalMiller emblem, 35 tinted front windows, extra OEM d-rings, WeatherTech front/rear
    For the water heater, do you not want to go tankless? You would see a pretty decent drop in oil usage. I'm on gas so I haven't looked much into the oil options.

3. Aug 25, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    I would think that whether a tankless water heater is practical or not would depend on how hard your water is. Some folks have complained about build up in the heat exchanger, requiring extra maintenance. Other people seem to be happy with them.

They sound like a good idea, basically.

Products Discussed in

To Top