Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

How to fix this house door?

Old 09-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation How to fix this house door?

I guess from repeated attempts to open door when it was locked and cheap wood caused this to happen. Not a break in or anything like that. So how would you go about repairing this? I have a little bit of knowledge on how a frame house is built but was not a construction science major and don't have many non-mechanics tools.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
deog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud of
Name: snicklefritz
deog's Tacoma Gallery
Replace the one jamb side. or clamp it all back in place, counter sink and screw it back together to the stud behind it, bondo and paint.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
There are jamb reinforcers that can be purchased at any Lowe's/Home Depot etc. But it would be best (especially with the leg damn near split all the way) to replace the jamb leg and then add the jamb reinforcement. Single jamb legs can be had for $20 or so.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Fish On !!!
SH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
I would buy an entire new jamb for that size door and replace. Take door off hinges, remove hinges from existing jamb and save or replace with new, then rehang door. That jamb is in disrepair. (in this carpenters opinion)
Old 09-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
You might be able to glue and clamp it back together but whatever you do , replace the deadbolt with one that has a security plate that is secured to the framing with large screws behind the decorative top plate
Old 09-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ok thanks guys. you've got me started.

my plan is either:

replace the striker side door jamb, install striker plate preferably with a box and 3" screws to dig into 2x4s

or glue up existing broken striker jamb best I can and install fix/repair metal jamb around glued/broken original.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Unprofessional Driver

so i went ahead and replaced the entire leg jamb and put new striker plates with 3" screws.

I broke the outer trim so I need to get a new piece and put some foam or other kind of insulation in the gap btwn the jamb and stud, but other than that i'm good and will post a pic

now I need help with the following for a friend (the door was for my mother). I'm too helpful.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gen...vibration.html