Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Tool brands

Old 09-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Tool brands

What are you're favorite tool brands?

I recently was able to work in a auto body shop for 3 weeks that was stocked almost exclusively with snap on tools, and I really liked them.

My dad was a big fan of craftsman, but there quality seems to be dropping pretty bad.

Anyone have any experience with kobalt hand tools? From what I've been reading the warranty they have is awesome, and some people on the tool forums say it's like snap on quality without the price.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
I just go for whatever is on sale and if it breaks I hope it has a warranty
Old 09-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #3
PCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
PCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Kobalt are Lowes brand tools. The quality is not in fact great, but for a lot of times it hits the "good enough" point where the tool works like it's supposed to and when you break it doing pretty much anything, they'll replace it. Lowes will warranty pretty much anything.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
MGM, i would do that, but i need to be able to trust them to work every time i need them.

Thanks for the info adam
Old 09-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Depends . Most hand tools are cheap stuff . Power tools good stuff . Need a good torque wrench .
Old 09-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I use a lot of snap on but I buy sk when I can it's just as good and cheaper
Old 09-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
MikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeCB600F's Tacoma Gallery
Wrenches and sockets - mostly Craftsman with some ACE brand.
Screwdrivers and nut drivers - Craftsman for most of the time. Insulated Kliens for electrical work.
Pliers - Ace brand with a couple Channel Locks.
Volt meter - Ideal
Old 09-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
If I'm paying, craftsman.

In a professional shop I haven't used any hand tools nicer than Snap-On.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
Faster than a speeding ticket
Watari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Watari06V6's Tacoma Gallery
gawd i have a smorgasboard of brands, huskys, craftmans, some are from the swap meet stuff and the 99c store LOL
Old 09-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick54 View Post
Harbor Freight Pittsburgh are warranted for life, maybe not the best tools but if you break it they replace it - not a bad deal. About 15 years ago I purchased a Metwrench 62 piece combo wrench and socket set. I believe I paid something in the neighborhood of $150.00, still have every piece and wouldn't give them up for anything. Looked up cost today $220.00
I broke a couple HF breaker bars doing my timing belt. Granted they were 3/8" drive and I was using a cheater bar, it was annoying.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
This is all just my opinion but...

Craftsman is mostly junk, they're old stuff was decent, real old... and some of their stuff is okay.

Some of their professional line is okay, but some of Harbor Freights stuff is better TBH.

I would spend the money on Snap-on for dual 80 ratchets. The rest you can mix and match with quality brands.

Check out estate sales around you too and if you know what you're looking for you can pick up a lot of OLD tool brands that were made in the USA and very high quality but bought out by the large tool companies and no longer in production, cheap.

For sockets I think Crafstman probably matches Kobalt's quality and I believe they're cheaper. Never get the laser etched bullshit, though, some of the new craftsman sockets are that way. Fuck that, they better have lines and be stamped or I won't buy em.

Gear Wrench is probably a better option all around though, and much nicer ratchets. Still I'd spend money on Snap-on ratchets.

For pliers... Channel Lock or Klein or a tool truck brand...

Don't be afraid to look into Williams, Blue Point, Proto, SK, Armstrong, Matco, Cornwell

Spend some time researching each purchase on GarageJournal

I am a believer in saving money where applicable and avoiding shitty tools when possible.

If you're a made in the USA guy you may want to research that too, but be ready to pay.

Oh and Grey Pneumatic or Harbor Freight is the place to go for impact sockets, minus the wobbly impacts -- don't get HF ones.

And IR is the way to go for air tools.

Oh and the craftsman professional prybars are decent...

Snap-on is the only way to go for heel bars though.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Lot's more info flying at me then i expected, thanks for all the experience and opinions.

I have mostly craftsman right now, my air tool (3/8ths air impact) is a blue point.

When i worked at the shop i really liked the snap on sockets (never had a issue with bolts rounding or stripping, even if they'd been stuck on the car for years), but i never got to use the ratchets, we either used air or battery powered ratchets.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
deog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud of
Name: snicklefritz
deog's Tacoma Gallery
I was bitten by the tool bug long ago, and have learned a lot from this journey. I have purchased a fair amount of used stuff and on occasion step onto the tool truck. My first words of advice to any young guys out there starting to collect tools, DO NOT GO INTO DEBT WITH THE SNAP ON MAN. Or any other mobile tool distributor.
I have some snapon, matco, mac, cornwell, sk, proto and armstrong stuff, as well as a lot of older Craftsman =v= series and industrial stuff.

Sure nice shinny chrome is nice, but does a nut know the difference ?

Now, there are still a lot of quality made in the USA tools that can be had without breaking the bank.
Just so everyone knows, Craftsman is not what it ounce was, and just about all of there tools are farmed out over seas. Take a trip to sears and look at the packages

I use a fair amount of SK, PROTO AND ARMSTRONG STUFF, and am very happy with all of it.

Here is a great place to purchase USA made tools and support a small 3rd generation tool reseller. Not many stores like this left around any more.

http://store.harryepstein.com/c/Catalog.html

Here is a Armstong ratchet that is my go to ratchet, made in the usa
http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/Ratchets/11-992.html
made in the USA, 88 tooth, comfortable handle and under $40.

http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/Ratchets/11-994.html Same thing, quality for under $60

Just an FYI, The guts of those really expensive SNAP ON RATCHETS, are from CHINA.

Buy what you can afford, do not go into debt, search craigslist, lots of deals to be found there.

Good luck
Old 09-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #16
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
No.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=90744
Old 09-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #17
Fish On !!!
SH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
In my 25 plus years experience doing carpentry and home repair there is only one hammer Estwing. I have used others and broken them, I have never broken an Estwing. I had a company give me a Stiletto titananium a few years back ( 220.00 hammer) it broke in under a years use.
Electrical tools, Klien never fails. Channel Lock are weak and chip, I am not a fan.
Sockets, I use sparingly and have no preference. I have mostly Craftsman and never an issue although I do not patron Sears any longer. The tape measures (years ago)were never an issue replacing but now Sears will give you a new blade to fix yourself, unless the issue is the spring inside in which case they will give a new tape.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #18
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Klien!

And stanley ... sponsored by walmart!
Old 09-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #19
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
That's a cool forum, thanks for the link.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
That's a cool forum, thanks for the link.
Be careful. That forum is more of a money pit then here And this is coming from a guy with a full LT truck. haha