Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Bathroom Project of Doom

Old 02-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #81
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
cdikkers's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
Also, I used the fiberglass tape because that was what was rated for the moisture areas and mold resistance. Videos I've been watching and stuff I have read are recommending the paper tape for corners. Should I use paper for where the wall meets the ceiling?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #82
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Never seen a Robertson drywall screw
I bought a bucket of them when I redid my kitchen. They are the balls when you're hanging drywall on the ceiling by yourself!
Old 02-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #83
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdikkers View Post
(side story, when I was driving home with it the sky looked like it was going to rain. This prompted my highly educated, hard working, extremely intelligent wife to say "Well, what if it gets wet?")

"oh this was ready weeks ago. Those shitheads never emailed you!"

Yes...the shitheads never emailed me...

So NOW...NOW...I have my tub surround.
Quote:
Had to stop and share this one. My wife (previously mentioned, afraid of what to do if the bathtub got wet in the rain) came home from work last night as I was finishing up the greenboard. As soon as she made eye contact with the bathroom she froze. The words out of her mouth were "Woah, this is NOT THE COLOR WE AGREED ON!!!" I guess she thought I was further along...
Quote:
And yet another gem...in reference to the drywall mud...

"Is that the right stuff to get?" -Wife
"Yes, that's what I need." -Me
"Are you sure? That's not what they told you to get." -Wife
"Trust me this is what I'm supposed to get."
"That says Mold Resistant, they said Mould, is there a difference?" -Wife
"Only in Canada..." -Me

I think I'm sleeping on the couch...
Fuckin' A

I don't have any advice at the moment, but good luck with the surgery.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #84
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
If the mud is too thick you'll get cracks as it cures.
The mud should be almost not there.

I would use paper tape.. it is just as water-resistant as the mud (not)... primer and paint will seal it.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #85
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
If the mud is too thick you'll get cracks as it cures.
The mud should be almost not there.

I would use paper tape.. it is just as water-resistant as the mud (not)... primer and paint will seal it.
Thank you sir.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #86
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Come on man, not even some teaser pics. You got to give us something to look at.

I hate drywallin, never got good at it and now just choose to avoid it when I can.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #87
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
Come on man, not even some teaser pics. You got to give us something to look at.

I hate drywallin, never got good at it and now just choose to avoid it when I can.
Ditto.

My drywall and concrete work looks like shit... so I cover it with tile
Old 02-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #88
Minimum Wage!

I survived the surgery just fine, but I am on a lifting restriction...not happy about that. I'll put up a few pictures of the second attempt at drywall tomorrow. Hopefully in a week I'll be healed enough I can start working on it again.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #89
Minimum Wage!

Okay I lied. I figured out how to do it from my phone.

Where as it looks like a gap, that's painter's tape masking off the edge of the tub. It needs another layer and then some sanding and hopefully it's ready for prime and paint.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #90
Minimum Wage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEhb...6D5F910F11A363

When it comes to educational material on home improvement, the northern accent tends to be right up there with what a southern accent is to down-home cooking. It just conveys confidence for some reason...
Old 03-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #91
Minimum Wage!

<bump>

I'm still working on the drywall but I'm almost ready to paint. I'm cleaning and patching some dings mostly. I've noticed that a few of them are things that were from original construction, so I hope that is a good sign lol....
Old 03-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #92
Minimum Wage!

If I didn't know better I'd swear that was a wall.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #93
Minimum Wage!

Here is my question of the day. I actually had to have my neighbor (who is a plumber) do an emergency install of shut off valves. He put the cold water one in upside down for whatever reason. Can I losen it and turn it to hook up the vanity or will that blow it out?
Old 03-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #94

I wouldn't mess with it.

You might be able to rotate it, but compression fittings were designed for one-shot use.
Once you loosen the nut, and especially change the orientation of a sealing surface, you're at risk for leaks.

I suspect he oriented it that way due to the proximity of the drain pipe and the wall. There's not a lot of room to turn a wrench in that area.
Just use a longer flex line and route it down with the hot.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #95
Minimum Wage!

I'll do that then. I have good water pressure so it should flow okay. I bought paint last night which was kind of exciting. I made sure to get bathroom semi gloss and a good primer rated for what I need. I've vacuumed up pretty good, but is there any extra prep anyone recommends before I paint?
Old 05-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #96
Minimum Wage!

I guess I will go ahead and finish off with a final update. Things have been busy and progress has been slow, but I forged onward...

I got two good coats of primer on the wall. Funny how you think you get good coverage the first coat and then it dries...

New floor went in. Linoleum, but nice linoleum...

New trim. I applied the knowledge (and the leftovers) learned from Oz-T during last year's laminate flooring project regarding coping an inside corner.

My dad explained the simple yet valuable skill of using masking tape when laying a caulk bead where the vanity meets the wall.

I felt a draft coming in from between the tub surround and the tub itself. I didn't want to take any chances so I sealed it with silicone. The tape may have not been needed, but given my skills with a caulk gun around the tub and the wall, I used it.

Getting this hooked up and working without leaks had me filled with the sin of pride. (I also replaced a shut off valve on my toilet all by myself, including turning the water off at the main this time)

And here we are. Previous toilet cleaned an reused, trim was leftovers from laminate project, existing light fixtures were cleaned and reused (although now off-center a wee bit) Tub and surround are new, tub fixtures were a gift, professional only called twice so I did most of the work myself, and more importantly everything works. So what started as hairline cracks and a leaky tub, ended in a whole bathroom remodel for about the same price as ReBath wanted to charge me for tub replacement. Now...time to take a shower...

PS: I'm still pissed at Menards...
Old 05-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #98
Minimum Wage!

Thankyou sir. As my wife put it, I never give up even well after the point when I should have.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #99
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Congrats on seeing it through
Just when I think I'm done my p-trap is dripping...I guess that's an easy fix comparatively...