LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Surface Rust Fix? (Estwing hammer / hatchet)

Old 10-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Student / Vol. FF
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Surface Rust Fix? (Estwing hammer / hatchet)

All, I am looking for some advice on what to do with some surface rust on my Estwing hammer and hatchet. They have not been exposed to any water, etc, and have only sat in the storage compartments in my truck. Haven't even got the chance to use the hammer and only used the hatchet once. Just not sure on what the best plan of action is to help refurb these things.

Matt
Old 10-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I've used fine sandpaper for that type of thing before
Old 10-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
Student / Vol. FF
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I've used fine sandpaper for that type of thing before
Then spray some clear coat or something on it? It would just continue to rust after though, correct?

Matt
Old 10-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Then spray some clear coat or something on it? It would just continue to rust after though, correct?

Matt
Yeah if you're worried about it you could spray them with some type of rust inhibitor
Old 10-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Student / Vol. FF

Quote:
Yeah if you're worried about it you could spray them with some type of rust inhibitor
Ok thanks. Do you think it would be better to just use like 120 grain sandpaper or start around there and go progressively higher?

Matt
Old 10-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #6

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok thanks. Do you think it would be better to just use like 120 grain sandpaper or start around there and go progressively higher?

Matt
Yeah , it won't take too much effort to remove that rust , it looks pretty minor

Are those tools usually in the cab ?
Old 10-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Student / Vol. FF

Quote:
Yeah , it won't take too much effort to remove that rust , it looks pretty minor

Are those tools usually in the cab ?
Yes, I keep them behind my passenger rear seat. Like I said, I haven't even used the hammer and only used the hatchet once. I'm a little confused as to how they got the rust.

Matt
Old 10-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
deog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud of
Name: snicklefritz
deog's Tacoma Gallery
2 things to stop rusting.

1 wipe down with penetrol, can be had at home depot.

2 mist with simply green, let dry, repeat, do this 4 or 5 times. when done and dry the simply green forms a small layer of dried soap on the bare steel, protecting it. Does not last forever, but it works and is not a oily mess.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: E-4
Name: Tom
tomwilson74's Tacoma Gallery
I have to fight the rust on my woodworking tools a couple times a year. It's humidity that gets mine. Here in West Virginia we have high humidity. I always use WD-40 and a scotch pad. It takes it off really well. After the rust is gone, try using a little 3 in 1 oil on a rag and wipe a light coat on them. This works well on my lathe chisels, just keep the oil off the handle area.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Wipe them doewn and then soak them in engine oil
Old 10-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, I keep them behind my passenger rear seat. Like I said, I haven't even used the hammer and only used the hatchet once. I'm a little confused as to how they got the rust.

Matt
That's suprising that they are rusting , that finish on the Estwing tools is usually pretty good unless they are left out in the rain
Old 10-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
Wipe them doewn and then soak them in engine oil
That will be enjoyable to use and smell in the cab
Old 10-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #13
Student / Vol. FF

I picked up some 100 and 150 grit paper today and hopefully will get around to sanding them soon. I think I will try sanding first and see how much rust is really on there just spray some clear coat on it. May not be a permanent fix, but then again, these tools are not for a job or anything, I just like having basic hand tools in the truck at all times. (screwdrivers, vise grips, allen keys, hammer, etc)

Matt
Old 10-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe it's the low humidity in this area or my tolerance of rust, but I don't worry about it. I have a 50-60 year old Estwing hand axe that has no more shine, but holds a good edge and does the job. Bought an axe like the one in the picture about 25-30 years ago and it is on the way to looking like the old one. Still serves the purpose.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
llibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
llibrm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwilson74 View Post
I have to fight the rust on my woodworking tools a couple times a year. It's humidity that gets mine. Here in West Virginia we have high humidity. I always use WD-40 and a scotch pad. It takes it off really well. After the rust is gone, try using a little 3 in 1 oil on a rag and wipe a light coat on them. This works well on my lathe chisels, just keep the oil off the handle area.
This works very well.
or using them...
Old 10-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: E-4
Name: Tom
tomwilson74's Tacoma Gallery
I made the mistake of leaving a piece of treated lumber on my table saw one evening. Went back out to the shop the next day and the cast iron top had a slight coating of rust on it after only one day. Keeping a coat of wax helps with the woodworking tools that have cast iron tops on them. (table saw, planer, jointer, lathe and band saw)
Old 10-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Always had problems with my Kliens in the cross-bed toolbox in my Tundra. It gets pretty damp in there.
Just a light wipe-down with Mobil-1 kept them clean.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #19
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That will be enjoyable to use and smell in the cab
No need for a soak.
I would just dip a finger in the bottle, wipe it on the tool and rub it in, then wrap the tool in a paper towel for a couple of days.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Fine sand paper or even steel wool to remove the rust, then you can clear coat it if you feel the need, or paint it. Either that or keep it oiled but I wouldn't use engine oil as mentioned above (although it will work). I'd use something like a 3 in 1 oil or gun oil if you have that.