Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

What do you know about Bandsaws?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
What do you know about Bandsaws?

So I have been looking into buying a bandsaw for awhile now. Majority of it would be for wood cutting, and maybe occasionally I would cut one thing that's metal, maybe. I have been checking craigslist off and on for months and can never find what I'm looking for, figured I mihgt as well just buy one new. I have a sears giftcard laying around I need to use up, so I been looking at the small craftsman ones. I don't need a big free standing 12+ inch saw, just like a 9" or 10" (although I wouldn't mind one bigger if the price was the same). I'm more focused on the depth of cut (I think it's called the throat?). This saw is the more expensive one, and has 4 5/8" max depth. I would love bigger, but I don't want to spend anymore on a tool I won't use enough.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-3-h...1&blockType=G1

I also was looking at this one, it has less depth at 3 5/8", and is only a 9" saw.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2.5-a...5&blockType=G5

What are your opinions on craftsman saws? All my hand tools are craftsman, and I have had a few power tools that seemed to hold up great. Never had any problems with the brand. Should I just splurge on one of these saw, or should I keep scouring craigslist for a cheapo? The only ones I can find on there normally are the older style craftsman 10 or 12" saws, with a very small depth of cut. Or some other brand that is way bigger then I need and $400+

What kind of saws do you guys have? Should I just get the bigger one? Should I look somewhere else or at different brands? Keep scouring craigslist?

I am also looking to get a router next. Something simple, just for cutting grooves and doing edgework. Any reccomendations there would be great as well. They seem to be easier to find on CL, I just don't want an old beat up one.

Any help appreciated!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
...don't know much about band saws.. (other than, i'd really like to have one ), ...that said, if it's something you're going to use a lot, i'd probably start looking w/ some of the top names; delta, jet, etc...
Old 10-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I know bandsaws are what butchers and meat cutters use and that thought keeps me pretty aware whenever I use one
Old 10-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
here's a 10" jet for less than $400... http://www.woodcraft.com/product/206...-jwbs10os.aspx
Old 10-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
deog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud of
Name: snicklefritz
deog's Tacoma Gallery
I will chime in.
first, sears craftsman stuff is all junk { chincom }

search craigslist for a Delta 28-348. wood/metal band saw, not made any more, but can be had. great saw.

I have a old Powermatic 141 from the late 60's, still runs great.

14" is a perfect size band saw.

anything old and made in the USA will treat you right.
Walker turner
Delta
rockwell
powermatic
craigslist is your friend.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Interesting... I have never been very sure as to the quality of craftsman power tools. I have a dremel made by them but everything else is hand tools. I have been checking craigslist very frequently for months now, there just isn't much popping up in my area. I really don't want to spend over 200, only because I know I won't use it enough. If I was into woodworking and would use it a lot I would splurge on a better one.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Check Grizzly tools in Bellingham. Have a jointer and drill press from them, great tools good price
Old 10-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
POINT ONE %ER
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deog View Post
I will chime in.
first, sears craftsman stuff is all junk { chincom }

search craigslist for a Delta 28-348. wood/metal band saw, not made any more, but can be had. great saw.

I have a old Powermatic 141 from the late 60's, still runs great.

14" is a perfect size band saw.

anything old and made in the USA will treat you right.
Walker turner
Delta
rockwell
powermatic
craigslist is your friend.
X2
Any thing less than a 14" will likely disappoint if you are making anything larger than bird houses. If the $s are tight go for a used one. Frankly, older is better.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
I use to use the weighted metal cutting band saws in shop/machining classes and they were superb compared to an abrasive wheel. Cut 1" steel like butter. And my dad had an older wood craftsman band saw which was useful. But thats about all I know.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
Wood bandsaws travel at higher speeds. Metal bandsaws turn much slower. Pretty much two different machines. I'm sure there were/are some machines that claim to be able to do both, but that would require changing the blade and adjusting the belts to run faster/slower on the pulleys. If you're using it to cut metal, look at the horizontal bandsaws, I've seen some for pretty cheap, I think I paid $300 for a working horizontal bandsaw with water pump (to keep blade lubed and cool). Can't beat the horizontal for perfect, clean cuts, but you're limited to basically cutting straight cuts. If you're using it to create designs in the metal, you'll need a vertical bandsaw, the cheapest one I've found are in the $1000 range used. I picked up a used wood bandsaw for $250. So I guess there are 3 different kinds of bandsaws.

I think craftsman would be fine for wood hobby use, not good enough for everyday use. You could always buy one used, use it till you're ready for an upgrade, then sell it for what you paid for it.

Products Discussed in this Thread