1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

any hvac guys on here?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Greensystemsgo, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Oct 23, 2013 at 10:42 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo [OP] 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    Have hopefully an easy problem.

Bought house and had ac tuned up, low on coolant but overall units good shape minus secondary overflow being utilized.

Replaced thermostat with programmable unit and came home to ac off and heater on full blast.

Called home warranty people, they replaced thermostat. Worked fine for two months.

Lately we only run ac during day. 80f. At night not a dipping into 60s, but the outside compressor is always running. Sounds like unit in attic is off though.

Even with no thermostat it keeps running. I throw breakers and it kills it.

Today one of the valves is frozen. Wtf is going on?

[​IMG]

2. Oct 23, 2013 at 10:53 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I wouldn't worry so much about the valve having a little frost on it as much as I would be concerned about the compressor constantly running. Seems you have an instrumentation problem. Could be something wired wrong,a stuck solenoid, or a bad control panel. Either way, if it is under warranty, or you have a contract with an HVAC company, it will be an easy fix for them. The frost on the valve is just the freon going through the expansion valve and getting cold, and then the moisture collects on it and then frosts over, this is normal.

3. Oct 23, 2013 at 10:56 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo [OP] 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    It was at least a 1/4 frost but OK.

We will call company, but as far as warranty, they've been out a lot to fix simple problems. I'm not a big fan but we will see.

Wish me luck!

4. Nov 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    Any amount of ice build up on the suction line is NOT normal. It's likely freezing due to the compressor running continuosly and the indoor unit not.

5. Nov 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Had a similar problem with the unit for our tent in Afghanistan. TXV was stuck. Definitely get it checked out.

6. Nov 16, 2013 at 10:21 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Does the compressor constantly run ? Or is it short cycling ?? If short cycling could be heat anticipator in T stat, if constantly running ya might want to clean the "A" coil inside your S/A plenum, probably 80%-85% of failures are due to dirty coils, which of course if coils are dirty they'll ice over like a skating rink, the T stat call for cool will never be more than warm air & your compressor will beat itself until dead trying to satisfy that calling for cool...

Regardless of whats causing it, try cleaning entire system first (which is usual maintenance anyway) before going broke throwing parts at it...;)

7. Nov 17, 2013 at 3:01 AM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    The "HEAT" anticipator coil has nothing to do with the cooling cycle. Chances are he doesn't even have that as that is very outdated technology. Also, it's more likely that a dirty filter would be causing the air flow issue than a dirty a coil. Unless OP has been dry walling his entire house or using a saw building bird houses right next to his furnace, or if he has 8 dogs and cats with the filter pulled.

8. Nov 17, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

out dated or not & probably doesn't have anticipator short cycling can still be related to either heat or cool & the highlighted above is a myth, you think a filter is going to catch everything ? Go look inside a duct at the register & comments like dry walling his entire house, or sawing bird houses next to furnace is nonsense, I could show you coils that are little more than blocks of ice & why ?? dirty coils my friend

9. Nov 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    Or, you don't actually know how to read a set of gauges and charge a system correctly. Or, you don't know how to charge a system based on the type of metering device. Or, well, there are many other "or's"
    I'm not here trying to get into a pissing match. Does it happen sure, I'm not gonna say it doesn't. It does NOT however, happen as much as apparently you seem to think it does. Are ducts dirty? Yup! That's why you, and every other "entrepreneur" (if you are) out there with a slightly higher than avg, technical IQ try to sell retarded "duct cleaning" services. Do coils get dirty over time? Yup! I get that, and I have seen it also. Almost always in a commercial or industrial atmosphere. My point was that unless the OP, in a residential setting, has some extraordinary, or heavily soiled environment inside his home (cats, dogs, drywall, lives in an actual dust cloud...whatever) it's more likely the air filter is what would be causing an airflow issue. If there is one (an airflow issue). I'm not throwing out a diagnosis here, simply stating a factual discrepancy in yours. And now I know you are gonna tell us all how you have years of experience and blah blah blah....sure...ok. If that's true...whatever, I'm glad you aren't in a position to attempt to sell anyone I know any of your snake oil. If you don't have any actual HVAC experience, stop trying to google the answer.

Edit: If the AC is short cycling......any good technician would NOT think a "heat anticipator" had anything to do with it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  10. Dec 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    xxOkieTacoxx

xxOkieTacoxx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Texarkana, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 3.4L 4x4/ 16’ DCLB TSS
    3.4L V-6 W/ custom intake,Flomaster super 44 dumped, 15" Incubus Alloy Wheels W/33x12.50 Yokohama Geolander MT'S, Bilstein 5100 Adj W/ OME 881coils, Pro Comp rear leafs W/ Bilstein 5100 shocks, Manual Hubs, Diff. Drop,Custom front bumper w/ winch W/ keyed disconnect and 2 250,000CP running lights, relocated blinkers, front bumper removed, radiator guards, custom skid plates, Rhinolined interior,
    This is easy. I can almost guarantee that the contactor on the outside unit is "stuck" ( welded from arcing when the contactor is energized) , causing the compressor to constantly run even when the thermostat isn't calling for the unit to be running. That is why your suction line is freezing because your not getting any heat exchange through your indoor coil because the fan is off. I'm an industrial refrigeration technician for Tyson foods. I have over 7 years of experience in the refrigeration and HVAC field.

11. Dec 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    xxOkieTacoxx

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Texarkana, TX
    Vehicle:
    3.4L V-6 W/ custom intake,Flomaster super 44 dumped, 15" Incubus Alloy Wheels W/33x12.50 Yokohama Geolander MT'S, Bilstein 5100 Adj W/ OME 881coils, Pro Comp rear leafs W/ Bilstein 5100 shocks, Manual Hubs, Diff. Drop,Custom front bumper w/ winch W/ keyed disconnect and 2 250,000CP running lights, relocated blinkers, front bumper removed, radiator guards, custom skid plates, Rhinolined interior,
    Also he has a digital stat which does not have a heat anticipator. And frost on the lines is never normal. Frost means liquid is sitting in the suction line which is bad. Your compressor is designed to compress vapor not liqud. This can happen when your coil is dirty as stated above, an expansion device that is either clogged or stuck, the unit not charged correctly. And with people who have a heat pump at your house, you will probably see the outdoor coil frost up especially on cold nights. This is due to not enough heat exchange through the outdoor coil. If its under 36°f outside your heat pump is pretty much useless.

12. Dec 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    xxOkieTacoxx

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Texarkana, TX
    Vehicle:
    Every one who was talking about the filters is right. Unless your filter is directly on the unit. Dust will find a way in, your indoor coil makes water, water+dust=mud. I have cleaned plenty in my time. And the only way to truly get one clean is to pump the system down, cut or desolder your lines connected to the coil, pull the coil out, clean it with acid, wash it out really good and put it back in, then pull a vaccum on the coil and lines until you have 1000 microns (30inhg) so no air or non condensables in the lines, recharge your unit, check pressures, done.

13. Dec 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    69 Jim

69 Jim 4-word Jimmy

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Standard Cab 4x4
    Been in the HVAC trade for 25 years and I can tell you xxOkieTacoxx knows his stuff. We know there could be several different causes, but a fried contactor is the most common. I also agree sucking back liquid is hard on the compressor. Good luck...

14. Jun 27, 2014 at 9:47 PM
    traplord

traplord Member

Member:
    Black Hills
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR DCSB QUICKSAND
    I know I'm a litte late on this one. Wtf is a secondary overflow? are you referring to a receiver?? I hear so many stories of HVAC guys just saying a system is low on refrigerant and then charging some in and calling it good. Well there is probably a reason that its low on refrigerant IE a leak somewhere. Refrigerant just dosent disappear. I'd be willing to bet that your suction line was frosting heavily because the refrigerant that your guy charged in leaked out and its low on charge again. Alls I'm sayin is simply charging a system back up with a few pounds or whatever is not necessarily the best answer. Hopefully they leak checked before doing so.

15. Jun 28, 2014 at 6:09 PM
    69 Jim

69 Jim 4-word Jimmy

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Standard Cab 4x4
    Secondary overflow probably on condensate drain, primary blocked.

Products Discussed in

To Top