Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

first welder?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #41
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Working on the same general thread discussion here, I already have a welder that I got years ago. It is a 110V model, and is a 135A unit. Question is, would that be sufficient to weld together the plate bumper kit. I'm not concerned about speed of welding, or single pass. I just am curious if it will get the job done. I'd love to get a new welder, but why spend the money at all if I don't have to, ya know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CohbsTaco View Post
x2 i feel the same way if i can get by with a 130a welder just to do the extremely basic stuff i plan to do with it anyways, would it work?
if i were you id just take it to a welding shop and have them throw it together for you youll still come out cheaper then buying one pre built, for me i guess i wouldnt want to ruin my new bumper but thats just me and im not a very good welder haha

Yes, a quality 110 welder will have no issue doing quarter inch plate with a single pass weld.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #42
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CohbsTaco View Post
x2 i feel the same way if i can get by with a 130a welder just to do the extremely basic stuff i plan to do with it anyways, would it work?
if i were you id just take it to a welding shop and have them throw it together for you youll still come out cheaper then buying one pre built, for me i guess i wouldnt want to ruin my new bumper but thats just me and im not a very good welder haha
It's not a matter of "ruining" a bumper. It is a personal challenge. I have welded many times before, but it has been either arc for heavy work, or light MIG for light work. Nothing bigger than basic sheet metal. So this will be the thickest I will have welded in MIG. If I make a mistake, I can simply spend the hours grinding it down and fixing it! And hours, and hours, and hours....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dammit View Post
Yes, a quality 110 welder will have no issue doing quarter inch plate with a single pass weld.
I appreciate the input. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #43
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If you are worried that it wont get hot enough, through flux in it and strap on a tank of pure C02 to getter nice en hot.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #44
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Run CO2 with Flux?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #45
Peanut butter mini time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Run CO2 with Flux?
FCAW-G gas shielded flux, the C02 will give better penetration than a regular C25 mix on non flux single shield wire.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #46
Welder is on a distinguished road
Welder's Tacoma Gallery
With proper joint prep. and preheat with propane, you can weld a wider range of thickness' of steel with a 140 or 180 welding machine. Adding a bevel or chamfered edge with a grinder is the quickest and easiest way to obtain this result.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #47
Peanut butter mini time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welder View Post
With proper joint prep. and preheat with propane, you can weld a wider range of thickness' of steel with a 140 or 180 welding machine. Adding a bevel or chamfered edge with a grinder is the quickest and easiest way to obtain this result.
What are the advantages of using propane over a rosebud and oxyacetylene for pre-heating?
Old 12-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #48
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
I would guess more folks might have a propane torch laying around???? we just always use the oxy/acet torch because it is on the same truck the welder is on when we have to heat up hard plate to weld... would think they both serve the same purpose though.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #49
Welder is on a distinguished road
Welder's Tacoma Gallery
I just use propane as an example since it is simple and convenient to access. Propane is typically cheaper and has a higher BTU rating at a lower temperature for heating up material.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #50
Peanut butter mini time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welder View Post
I just use propane as an example since it is simple and convenient to access. Propane is typically cheaper and has a higher BTU rating at a lower temperature for heating up material.
Ahhhhh, gotcha.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #51
just dig it
EddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 19 D PFC, 165th brg 3-34 bat 5-17
Name: Eddy
EddyRRT's Tacoma Gallery
write a check or get a credit account for a miller 252. You be sooo happy
Old 12-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #52
Working at the Nauga Ranch (Not for long)
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Take a class, get some burn time, save up and buy a decent welder. At least you'll know what you're looking at when you're putting your money down. Personally I would buy new.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #53
CohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
CohbsTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyRRT View Post
write a check or get a credit account for a miller 252. You be sooo happy
Haha 2500!!! Holy cow! That's a tad out of my college student budget
Old 12-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #54
USArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant futureUSArchangels has a brilliant future

Coast Guard: MS3, USN.  FS3, USCG.  60% SC DV
Name: Max
USArchangels's Tacoma Gallery
I'm just starting out myself. Could go with this set-up for a limited budget:

· At least two (2) 12-volt car batteries (charged)
· At least two (2) sets of jumper cables or one set of jumper cables and a “patch” cable
· Vise-Grips
· Wire Brush
· File
· Leather Gloves
· Welding Goggles or hood with at least a shade 10 lens
· 3/32” Welding rod

6011 welding rod
347 stainless welding rod
1/8 rod
3/32 rod
Old 12-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #55
CohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by USArchangels View Post
I'm just starting out myself. Could go with this set-up for a limited budget:

· At least two (2) 12-volt car batteries (charged)
· At least two (2) sets of jumper cables or one set of jumper cables and a “patch” cable
· Vise-Grips
· Wire Brush
· File
· Leather Gloves
· Welding Goggles or hood with at least a shade 10 lens
· 3/32” Welding rod

6011 welding rod
347 stainless welding rod
1/8 rod
3/32 rod
Haha I have considered something like this, but I'm leaning towards this guy, looks like a nice little set up with the option to run with or without gas. It's got some solid reviews, and runs off a standard plug..
http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500559-...=Hobart+welder
Old 12-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #56
vssman will become famous soon enoughvssman will become famous soon enough
vssman's Tacoma Gallery
If you have any plans to ever weld sheet metal, you'll want infinite wire speed and voltage adjustments.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by vssman View Post
If you have any plans to ever weld sheet metal, you'll want infinite wire speed and voltage adjustments.
Ya I'm thinking just a pretty basic one to Learn on then hopefully get the hang of it and upgrade in a year or two
Old 12-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #58
just dig it
EddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 19 D PFC, 165th brg 3-34 bat 5-17
Name: Eddy
EddyRRT's Tacoma Gallery
Save first then buy! Its like a paintball gun you buy a cheap walmart one. then you keep upgrading to the 1200 buck bob long. Get the hobart 140 for $500 or miller 211 for 900+
use solid wire and run 75/25 gas.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #59
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Do not go cheap on a welder. Do not get a. Cheap flux core. Get a good welder and it will last a lifetime. . You don't want to go cheap..

Products Discussed in this Thread