Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

The Search: New Boots

Old 11-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #21
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Good deal from dad. It's a good gift.

I've got some RW, HH, Justin, Chippewa and Meindl. Some are pull on and some are lace ups some are for work (composite toe) and some are for home but, my favorite boot maker is Danner. Again (like Rich said) and IMO, don't mess around with those not made in the US.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:56 AM   #22
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
A good day indeed. Hopefully didn't come off like a spoiled punk or anything about this topic, it is what it is. I bought what I could afford and would have been quite happy with them. Then someone offered to get me something 100x's better, and pay for part of it. Fuck yeah I'm gonna take that deal up and return what I bought.

I was going to save up the $325 myself, dad chimed in with splitting them. Save up man, those 2416s were just killer and that was a box pair, can only imagine once they get broke in to the feet/ankles.
You did not.

You won't regret the RedWings, I've been happy with mine.

I think I could have a beer or two with your Dad.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #23
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
You did not.

You won't regret the RedWings, I've been happy with mine.

I think I could have a beer or two with your Dad.
We had a rough go of it during my teenage angst. I suppose I was a punk, now that I'm a dad myself....
Old 11-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #24
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
We had a rough go of it during my teenage angst. I suppose I was a punk, now that I'm a dad myself....
Maybe he wasn't the hard ass SOB you thought he was, huh?

We've all been there. From my little bit of interpretation of your posts, he sounds like a good guy with a sense of humor. Calling your wife to give you crap about the boots made me
... not that I've ever done anything like that to my boys.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #25
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i'm wearing Redwings now. i got them on sale. cheap. i got the carpenter boots with the soft soles. let me tell you..walking on rebar eats them up.

some of the RW boots are China made, so pay attention. Most of the Danners made are also China made.

i destroy my boots. i'm an engineer doing big bridge jobs. concrete, rebar, AC paving takes it's toll. my boots dont last. i can get them resoled, but they never feel comfy after that.

you want good boots..get Wesco boots. crazy money.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #26
TheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud of
TheCookieMonster's Tacoma Gallery
I got these from Cabelas called SAW-Shock absorbing workboot. Lasted 2 years of hard punishment. I replaced with the same,these are better than the Red Wings and cost less But are made in China. This model were discountinued but are still available on a sale price because they changed the style check out Cabelas website.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #27
TheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud of
Also I am looking at these Justin Model 444,$138 plus free shipping made in USA
Old 11-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #28
Justin444
Old 11-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #29
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
Also made in china, But comfortable right out of the box, Dr. Martens Industrial boots. I have a pair of pull on and lace up, internal met guard. Feel good even after 8 hours of standing on concrete.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #30
Most boots are made in China now,but I am going to try out those Justins 444 soft toe boots for the price they are worth a try. only thing that might bother me is that I notice these Justin lace ups have a small toe box which some reviewer complained about them.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCookieMonster View Post
I got these from Cabelas called SAW-Shock absorbing workboot. Lasted 2 years of hard punishment. I replaced with the same,these are better than the Red Wings and cost less But are made in China. This model were discountinued but are still available on a sale price because they changed the style check out Cabelas website.
$104 now on Cabelas.com site
Old 11-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #32
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
cdikkers's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
I've liked my Carolina's...

http://www.carolinashoe.com/Product?stockNo=FR1502
Old 11-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #33
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
The WORX division of Red Wings are made in China, and most of the RW shoes and their affiliates all carry the same "service".

I have a pair of WORX for um... work, a pair of composite toe Red Wings for general use and a pair of Vasque (also Red Wing affiliate) for hiking.

Not only can you get most of the resoled (not the waterproof ones, for the soles are sealed on) but you can bring the back every month to get them oiled again, which extends the life of the leather. Another good thing that I was able to take advantage of, is that they will also re sew should any stitches come out. You also get free shoe laces should yours get worn or break.

I love my Red Wings, Vasque and WORX. I think there is more value for the money here than buying any other brand, because of the free services they offer. The stand behind their product for sure.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #34
Tail Striker
flyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cam
flyboy.co2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
I swear by Redwings and my buddy loves his Chippewa
I love my chips
Old 11-11-2013, 02:34 AM   #35
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
Maybe he wasn't the hard ass SOB you thought he was, huh?

We've all been there. From my little bit of interpretation of your posts, he sounds like a good guy with a sense of humor. Calling your wife to give you crap about the boots made me
... not that I've ever done anything like that to my boys.
I'd say my dad is like a version of Hank Hill but with a sense of humor.

He's alright...don't tell him I said that though.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
The WORX division of Red Wings are made in China, and most of the RW shoes and their affiliates all carry the same "service".

I have a pair of WORX for um... work, a pair of composite toe Red Wings for general use and a pair of Vasque (also Red Wing affiliate) for hiking.

Not only can you get most of the resoled (not the waterproof ones, for the soles are sealed on) but you can bring the back every month to get them oiled again, which extends the life of the leather. Another good thing that I was able to take advantage of, is that they will also re sew should any stitches come out. You also get free shoe laces should yours get worn or break.

I love my Red Wings, Vasque and WORX. I think there is more value for the money here than buying any other brand, because of the free services they offer. The stand behind their product for sure.
The store was cool. Service like don't exist to much anymore.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:40 AM   #37
Dismembered
Robnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
Just a heads up, Chris. This is what the "Aztec SuperSole" looked like after about 6 months:

My new pair (left) after 1 year:

I've owned about 20 pairs of Red Wings & their "dual-density" soles just don't hold up, but they are more comfortable. Just wanted to let you know if you do a lot of walking.
Shoe on left: http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...nch-boot-brown
Shoe on right: http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...nch-boot-black
Old 11-11-2013, 03:55 AM   #38
Ka like a wheel
F75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
F75gunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
Another thing to think about..depending on the style of boot. Do yourself a favor and get the bottle of boot oil for those ! They sell one that's a lifetime fill...costs more..but they will refill it for free for life. Clean and oil 'em once in awhile....I've had pairs that are over 2 years old..the only reason I got new ones is that the old ones started to leak water if you stepped in something deep. The oil keeps em from drying out and waterproofs 'em. Ask the dealer who sold 'em to you which product to use for care and cleaning..they'll last longer for it.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #39
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
They will oil them for free if you stop by. But it is nice to have some of that at home so it's handy.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #40
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
I have Timberland 6'' Pit Bosses and I like them. Comfortable and strong. The only thing I did was cut off the little tab on the back that people use to pull them on because it always caught on the bottom of my pants.

Matt