Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

The Search: New Boots

Old 11-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #41
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnik View Post
Just a heads up, Chris. This is what the "Aztec SuperSole" looked like after about 6 months:

My new pair (left) after 1 year:

I've owned about 20 pairs of Red Wings & their "dual-density" soles just don't hold up, but they are more comfortable. Just wanted to let you know if you do a lot of walking.
Shoe on left: http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...nch-boot-brown
Shoe on right: http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...nch-boot-black
Hell I thought I walked a ton. Where are you that your putting that much wear into the soles? Gravel pit? Mine?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #42
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by F75gunslinger View Post
Another thing to think about..depending on the style of boot. Do yourself a favor and get the bottle of boot oil for those ! They sell one that's a lifetime fill...costs more..but they will refill it for free for life. Clean and oil 'em once in awhile....I've had pairs that are over 2 years old..the only reason I got new ones is that the old ones started to leak water if you stepped in something deep. The oil keeps em from drying out and waterproofs 'em. Ask the dealer who sold 'em to you which product to use for care and cleaning..they'll last longer for it.

you want GREAT boot oil..try Obernaufs. it is unrivaled.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #43
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I'm interested in what Robnik does as well.

My environment for work: I mostly stand on concrete floor(s), but I stand the whole 8 hours/day. Cold concrete floor in the winter. Steel toe is a must, don't feel like dropping heavy car parts on my toes. Auto fluids are a large part of life, step in fluid, get fluid on boots. Up and down, racking vehicles wears out the area where the balls of the feet reside in the shoe, not surprisingly that's where my current boots have split the sole.

Going to give the 2416s a go. Had to order them as none of the 3 stores around town had a pair in stock. Didn't get a call back with any bad news about backorders so hopefully 5-7 days.

That insulation man, my toes get so damn cold in the winter....I really though about another pair without it, but...I'd love not wearing 2/3 pairs of socks for comfort & warmth cause that shit never works. Ends up wet and cold. Always.

With most of the abuse my boots see coming from automotive fluids, what are the best ways to clean and protect to the get the max life from the boots?
Old 11-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #44
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
I recently won a pair of these on a Tool website. Can't beat free plus they are pretty comfortable as well ..........

http://www.steel-toe-shoes.com/Merch...mens-thorogood
Old 11-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #46
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post

That insulation man, my toes get so damn cold in the winter....I really though about another pair without it, but...I'd love not wearing 2/3 pairs of socks for comfort & warmth cause that shit never works. Ends up wet and cold. Always.
Have you considered a composite toe? I got composite toe because I work in refrigeration. You don't get frozen toes with composite. Plus they are a tad lighter.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #47
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Have you considered a composite toe? I got composite toe because I work in refrigeration. You don't get frozen toes with composite. Plus they are a tad lighter.
Before I moved into engineering, we were required to wear composite toes in the traffic signal shop.
Steel toes used to be standard, but now that composites offer comparable protection, they are better for EH rated (electrical hazard) boots.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #48
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yep. ^^^^ That too! But of course I failed to mention that (forgive me, I don't do electrical stuff) ~

But yes, that's mainly why there's composite toe.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:15 AM   #49
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
Very cool site with lots of boots and brands.

Was unaware of composite toe boots, will have to look at those a little more, especially if they offer good cold weather feel. Probably one of my biggest complaints honestly, cold feet/toes.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #50

Red Wings have them for sure.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #51
wisewolf is on a distinguished road
wisewolf's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought a new pair of keen's. They feel really comfortable and feel like I have good support.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #52
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Peace Officer currently, US Army "Retired" as well
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Very cool site with lots of boots and brands.

Was unaware of composite toe boots, will have to look at those a little more, especially if they offer good cold weather feel. Probably one of my biggest complaints honestly, cold feet/toes.
The RW "King Toe" is a composite. I've had my pair going on 6 yrs. now. Granted they don't get abused now like they did when I first bought them (not in HVAC anymore) but they were deff put through the paces when I did.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #53
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSgt - A.G.E. Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
for work (military) i wear rocky c4t's. very lightweight, strong and comfortable. ive also had a pair of redwing's (not for work) that were very comfortable and strong
Old 01-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #54
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery

White's

Bought a used pair on ebay 5 years ago... wearing them this day
And they've been through a lot
The only part of these boots that isn't super thick leather is the rubber soles, brass eyelets, laces, and nails & screws

They are all hand-made... you can go to their shop and watch the guys make them
They are also rebuildable
Old 01-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #55
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
^^i wouldnt wear a logger heel unless i was a logger.

those things feel unsteady under me. and those Whites (and black Wescos) have been popular with ..ah, nevermind.

i owned logger heels before. unless i needed to climb a telephone pole..i opt for a wider heel..and lower.

GREAT boots tho..those Whites are great. probably the best.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #56
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
^^i wouldnt wear a logger heel unless i was a logger.

those things feel unsteady under me. and those Whites (and black Wescos) have been popular with ..ah, nevermind.

i owned logger heels before. unless i needed to climb a telephone pole..i opt for a wider heel..and lower.

GREAT boots tho..those Whites are great. probably the best.
i actually feel a lot more steady/planted/sure-footed/comfortable in these boots
might have something to do with the way my foot is arched; never had a shoe/boot come anywhere near as close to giving me the support these do

but, i realize that may not be the same with everyone... they have boots that aren't loggers/without logger heels
Old 01-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
and those Whites (and black Wescos) have been popular with ..ah, nevermind.
skinheads?
combat boots are way more so

bikers?
bikers are cool with me

loggers?
smokejumpers?
yeah, that's who they were made for... makes sense
Old 01-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #58
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
skinheads?
combat boots are way more so

bikers?
bikers are cool with me

loggers?
smokejumpers?
yeah, that's who they were made for... makes sense
People who fly, not so much
Old 01-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
People who fly, not so much
LOL!!

funny you mention that. when i fly to some hunting destination..i have to wear my hunt-boots. big, clunky, 10" full lace up heavy boots. i was untying my boots and just dragging the laces as i shuffled thru the security checkpoint. the (hot) lady behind me was wearing flip-flops. she looked at me, and huffed, "it's people like you that slow down the line..why would you wear those boots?"

i looked her over and replied, "you know, if the plane goes down, and there is fire, broken glass, shards of torn metal, all over the place, and there is a slight chance of escape..i'll stomp over someone like you to safety..you'll be trying to excape on bloody stumps"

the look on her face was priceless. i quickly said.."just joking..it is easier to wear these things than pack them, i'll happily help you out of the fire"

there was no salvaging that relationship. it was done.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #60
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Priceless.