Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

The Search: New Boots

Old 11-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
The Search: New Boots

Time to get a new pair of work boots. The caterpillars have broken a sole and I can touch the bottom of my foot through it. Been that way a few weeks.

Learned not to cheap out on boots. End up spending more buying the $30 crap than just spending for a quality pair from the get go.

I do like the CAT boots. Plain black steel toe (necessary). Always have good luck with them it seems. Get a good couple years out of a pair.

Thinking of trying out a 8" boot.

Any good boots I should look at?
Old 11-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
You can call me Susan if it makes you happy
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Red wings are top notch although I've had decent luck with my current Ariats.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
I've had Ariats, Georgia Boots, Justins, and Red Wings. Red Wings are my favorite. I like lace ups though. My current pair are 8" lace up Red Wings that only cost me $99 brand new on sale. Best pair of work boot so far. My second choice would be Georgia Boots, then Ariats.

These to be exact
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...nch-boot-brown
Old 11-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Think I'm gonna try out a pair of Red Wings. Went to a store this afternoon and tried on a few pairs.

I tried a pair of these on. Simply amazing boot. Insulation is....unreal.
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...nch-boot-black

Want to look at/try a pair of these on. Price is a little better, no insulation however and after putting on a pair that has insulation...don't know if I could go for anything but. And spending this much on boots...get what I really, really want. I do like the lace system, simple all holes, no worries about going around the hook or shredding laces.
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...nch-boot-black

Tried this on also, didn't like it.
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...nch-boot-brown
Old 11-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Had a couple of pairs of Wolverines over the years, not the cheapest but pretty tough
Old 11-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
Had a couple of pairs of Wolverines over the years, not the cheapest but pretty tough
How could I afford a $325 pair of boots?????? Story below....long winded.

I bought a pair of CATs yesterday morning. $80 for the pair. Honestly, $80 is expensive to me living paycheck to paycheck. Several years for $80, not a bad value in my book.

Dropped my 5 year old off at her grandparents house for the night and was showing my dad my boots.

My pops starts talking about Red Wings.....His employer (AEP) bought him a pair of RWs and says that it's only pair of boots he's ever put on and not had them hurt his feet. My dad is 6'8"

So I got online and checked out some RWs while watching Saturday afternoon football. I laughed when I saw the prices. Several hundred dollars for a pair of boots. Yeah fucking right dad, I won't ever afford that shit.

In a nutshell, my old man tells me that he'd buy me a pair, or make it so I could afford a pair (by paying one of our larger bills for xmas, then I use what we would have spent on the bill, on boots.)

Damnit dad, I just spend $80 on new boots. Why are you fucking with me

Leave my mom and dads place and head back home. Get home, my dad has called my wife while I was driving and told her to give me shit about the boots I just bought when I get home. Walk in my house and am greeted with "Nice boots Chris, to bad their not Red Wings"...."Fuck You, woman"......my dad thinks he's funny.

Frankly, my pops makes a quarter mil salary. When he gets on a kick, such as he did with the RW boots, I can be quite sure than I'll end up with a pair.

So......New CATS came off and got put back in the box, back with all the tags and paper and blah blah blah and I returned them. I can suffer with the broke ass boots I got for a bit longer.

Wife, the 1.5 year old and I went over to the RW store to kill some time. Tried on some boots, tried on the pair that I had eyed online, the 2416. The pair the RW employee called the "Bugatti of boots", that statement was not a lie. The 2416s were just pure sex for my feet. That fucking insulation, Oh. My. God.

Dad starts texting me and giving me shit later in the evening about boots. I told him I returned the ones I bought and I can wait.

We come to a conclusion that him and I will split the cost of a pair of RW boots.

I would expect to have a pair by next weekend at the latest.

I did not know that the RW boots were able to be re-soled. So thats a huge bonus to know that I can resole a pair of $325 boots instead of buying a new pair.

So...that's why I'm getting Red Wings.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
How could I afford a $325 pair of boots?????? Story below....long winded.

I bought a pair of CATs yesterday morning. $80 for the pair. Honestly, $80 is expensive to me living paycheck to paycheck. Several years for $80, not a bad value in my book.

Dropped my 5 year old off at her grandparents house for the night and was showing my dad my boots.

My pops starts talking about Red Wings.....His employer (AEP) bought him a pair of RWs and says that it's only pair of boots he's ever put on and not had them hurt his feet. My dad is 6'8"

So I got online and checked out some RWs while watching Saturday afternoon football. I laughed when I saw the prices. Several hundred dollars for a pair of boots. Yeah fucking right dad, I won't ever afford that shit.

In a nutshell, my old man tells me that he'd buy me a pair, or make it so I could afford a pair (by paying one of our larger bills for xmas, then I use what we would have spent on the bill, on boots.)

Damnit dad, I just spend $80 on new boots. Why are you fucking with me

Leave my mom and dads place and head back home. Get home, my dad has called my wife while I was driving and told her to give me shit about the boots I just bought when I get home. Walk in my house and am greeted with "Nice boots Chris, to bad their not Red Wings"...."Fuck You, woman"......my dad thinks he funny.

Frankly, my pops makes a quarter mil salary. When he gets on a kick, such as he did with the RW boots, I can be quite sure than I'll end up with a pair.

So......New CATS came off and got put back in the box, back with all the tags and paper and blah blah blah and I returned them. I can suffer with the broke ass boots I got for a bit longer.

Wife, the 1.5 year old and I went over to the RW store to kill some time. Tried on some boots, tried on the pair that I had eyed online, the 2416. The pair the RW employee called the "Bugatti of boots", that statement was not a lie. The 2416s were just pure sex for my feet. That fucking insulation, Oh. My. God.

Dad starts texting me and giving me shit later in the evening about boots. I told him I returned the ones I bought and I can wait.

We come to a conclusion that him and I will split the cost of a pair of RW boots.

I would expect to have a pair by next weekend at the latest.

I did not know that the RW boots were able to be re-soled. So thats a huge bonus to know that I can resole a pair of $325 boots instead of buying a new pair.

So...that's why I'm getting Red Wings.
Nice, yeah, one of these days, I want a nice pair of those
Old 11-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
I finally had it with going through boots every 6 months. Bought a pair of redwings more than a year ago. These boots are as comfortable as the day I bought them. I also picked up the do it yourself toe cap, that thing is indestructible.
I will honestly never go to any other boot.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
RedWings

Don't cheap out on their import models or line either.
Spend the $200 for a solid boot.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Nice, yeah, one of these days, I want a nice pair of those
A good day indeed. Hopefully didn't come off like a spoiled punk or anything about this topic, it is what it is. I bought what I could afford and would have been quite happy with them. Then someone offered to get me something 100x's better, and pay for part of it. Fuck yeah I'm gonna take that deal up and return what I bought.

I was going to save up the $325 myself, dad chimed in with splitting them. Save up man, those 2416s were just killer and that was a box pair, can only imagine once they get broke in to the feet/ankles.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #12
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah my company came up with a pay for half of your boots thing. They were less than pleased when I walked in with redwings and a receipt for 289 bucks.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:04 AM   #13
Banned
Quote:
A good day indeed. Hopefully didn't come off like a spoiled punk or anything about this topic, it is what it is. I bought what I could afford and would have been quite happy with them. Then someone offered to get me something 100x's better, and pay for part of it. Fuck yeah I'm gonna take that deal up and return what I bought.

I was going to save up the $325 myself, dad chimed in with splitting them. Save up man, those 2416s were just killer and that was a box pair, can only imagine once they get broke in to the feet/ankles.
Not spoiled at all man, it's all good, decent pair of boots is worth their weight in gold. Gave me an idea though, my wolverines are kinda worn should look into gettin them resoled.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
Yeah my company came up with a pay for half of your boots thing. They were less than pleased when I walked in with redwings and a receipt for 289 bucks.
My luck of course I had to click on the 2416s first, has to be one of their most expensive boots.

Was checking them out, laughing, told my dad "These things are so expensive they don't even put the price on the page, it's like fucking Snap-On"
Old 11-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #15
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Might find some here

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mil...ite-boots.html
Old 11-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Not spoiled at all man, it's all good, decent pair of boots is worth their weight in gold. Gave me an idea though, my wolverines are kinda worn should look into gettin them resoled.
Yeah, that was a huge selling point for me. Asked the guy in the store and showed him my worn out pair. "For that much $$, is this gonna happen" and then poked my finger through my boot soles....

Then I learned boots could be resoled.

And my face was....

:::That "Shut up and take my money" futurama meme:::
Old 11-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #17
Banned
Quote:
My luck of course I had to click on the 2416s first, has to be one of their most expensive boots.

Was checking them out, laughing, told my dad "These things are so expensive they don't even put the price on the page, it's like fucking Snap-On"
lol
Old 11-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
I did look at that, but decided to make a new post in something was little more public, general, more...civilian since that was posted in military.

Thought this subforum would be good, still get views from quality TWers but the riff-raff doesn't tend to come down this far down the main page.

Damn it's 3:30am. Time flies talking about getting your Red Wings. hahahahahahaha, so punny and disgusting and yet my feet say screw your jokes, put that shit on me.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #19
TRD
Rodrigo is on a distinguished road

Name: Rodrigo
Rodrigo's Tacoma Gallery
I have some redwings. They're the best
Old 11-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #20
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have had 4 (i think) pairs of redwings, worn them all down to where the sole was separating from the rest of the boot (i would've had them resoled, but the leather was starting to come unstitched and there were several large holes in the boot) and they were vey comfy.
My newest boots are timberlands, and they're pretty comfy also, but i haven't broken them in yet, my redwings still work (they aren't waterproof anymore though), i'll probably start wearing the timberlands when it starts to rain so my feet stay dry.