Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Table saw or miter saw?

Old 11-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
Table saw or miter saw?

I'm slowly acquiring tools as I need them, and I'm trying to decide on whether to get a miter saw or a table saw for Christmas for general DIY household stuff. I'd like to build an arbor with a swing in the next few months, and I'm going to rebuild a wooden bench that has some iron pieces that will require cutting some boards. I currently have a circular saw, and I'm going to buy a jigsaw pretty soon for curved cuts. I don't know whether to get a table saw or a miter saw because my circular saw can cut large pieces of plywood a table saw would cut, but it's also pretty similar in design to a miter saw. What do you guys think? For the arbor I'll probably cut some 4x4" fence posts. Can that be done on both saws? I may also do some angled cuts.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
For 4x4s the miter saw is the way to go, and it makes a lot of cuts real easy.

As you know you can do a lot with a circular saw and a straight edge just as nicely as a table saw. You don't want to cut 4x4s with a table saw.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
I would go for the miter saw. and if I can give a bit of advice, get a sliding compound with double bevel...nothing worse than trying to cut crown angles and have to sit there and think about it forever deciding which way to cut the wood because your saw only bevels to one side. and having a sliding arm makes it so you can cut wider planks than you could without.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Doc Jr 8156 is just really niceDoc Jr 8156 is just really niceDoc Jr 8156 is just really niceDoc Jr 8156 is just really niceDoc Jr 8156 is just really nice
Name: John
Doc Jr 8156's Tacoma Gallery
Hello,
If the goal is long term, a good table saw is the foundation of any wood shop. I think you can get away with the miter and circular saw building arbors and wood bench but for bigger projects and precise cuts, nothing beats a table saw.

Although I have both, a table saw is a much bigger commitment than the miter saw. Personally, I use a Delta cabinet saw, a Makita miter saw, and Festool circular saw. Godspeed.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Tough call on which to get first, but I would go with the Miter Saw.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
get BOTH!! treat yourself.
Do not get a CHEAP one--you will be dissappointed.
Sliding miter saw rather than just a chop-cut.
Heavy base table saw are much BETTER.
Most of the time you can find a good used one(table saw).
Check craigslist or local newspaper.
Miter saws are easier to store-if space is a factor.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Ham N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ham N Egger's Tacoma Gallery
For the project you mentioned, miter saw rather than table, but as another poster mentioned the table saw is a good starting point for anyone assembly tools for future use.

Baseboards, mouldings and angle cuts can be cut on both. I find my table saw to be easier to use for precise cuts. If you are just starting out, and from your post it sounds like you are, I tend to agree with the table saw purchase.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
TheDrMaSuess is on a distinguished road

Name: Loren
TheDrMaSuess's Tacoma Gallery
I'd probably go with a miter saw. They will do most of the cuts you need unless you are going to be ripping wood or have long sheets/boards to cut.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Fish On !!!
SH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
Get both if you can afford it, if not start with the compound slide mitre saw. There is always a way to rip a long straight board without the table saw until you can afford one.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
g34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Avionics
g34rh34d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
For 4x4s the miter saw is the way to go, and it makes a lot of cuts real easy.

As you know you can do a lot with a circular saw and a straight edge just as nicely as a table saw. You don't want to cut 4x4s with a table saw.
Concur.

Good luck with the decision.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
1mrwatermaker is a glorious beacon of light1mrwatermaker is a glorious beacon of light1mrwatermaker is a glorious beacon of light1mrwatermaker is a glorious beacon of light1mrwatermaker is a glorious beacon of light

1mrwatermaker's Tacoma Gallery
I do alot of wood working, cabinets, shelving and things like that..i do not own a table saw just a miter saw and a circular saw with a good straight edge (8 ft aluminum stock) and good irwin clamps....

IMO....i wld go with the miter saw.

most all table saws can only rip about 2 ft unless it is stationary with a large table attached to the side... whereas 2 sawhorses , a straight edge and a circular saw u can rip any size u want.... thats just my opinion and me thinking outloud...
Old 11-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
Update: I went with the Kobalt 10" sliding compound miter saw. It looks like the only consistent complaint online is that the laser isn't very accurate. I think it will do everything I need it to, and it was under $200 with a coupon.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, that think should be able to do a lot.

A better blade might be a future purchase, the stock blades usually aren't top quality.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
TACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to behold
TACO RKN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Nice, that think should be able to do a lot.

A better blade might be a future purchase, the stock blades usually aren't top quality.
X2...I have a Forrest blade on my mitre saw and it is amazing....

Keep that table saw on your list...and get one like previously mentioned. I have used my Delta cabinet saw for 15 years and it is still like new.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
Banned
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Table saw or miter saw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO RKN View Post
X2...I have a Forrest blade on my mitre saw and it is amazing....

Keep that table saw on your list...and get one like previously mentioned. I have used my Delta cabinet saw for 15 years and it is still like new.
Are the Forrest blades better than Freud's Premier line ?
Old 12-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DblCab View Post
Update: I went with the Kobalt 10" sliding compound miter saw. It looks like the only consistent complaint online is that the laser isn't very accurate. I think it will do everything I need it to, and it was under $200 with a coupon.

from my experience, unless you're spending top dollar on a miter saw, none of the lasers are accurate. nothing is more precise than an experienced eye.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
TACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to beholdTACO RKN is a splendid one to behold
TACO RKN's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know... I haven't tied that line...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Are the Forrest blades better than Freud's Premier line ?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #19
Banned
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauncho View Post
from my experience, unless you're spending top dollar on a miter saw, none of the lasers are accurate. nothing is more precise than an experienced eye.
What do you consider to be " top dollar " ?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #20
Banned

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO RKN View Post
Don't know... I haven't tied that line...
OK. , thanks