1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home wiring help

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Slesse, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Dec 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    Slesse

Slesse [OP] Tacoma level 27

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Port Coquitlam
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    Pro Comp Rims;32" Duratrack Tires; OME heavy duty lift in rear; 2" spacer lift in front; custom raised bed in box; Lear canopy; grillcraft grill; Rosen Head unit; Trail gear sliders; Tinted windows all around; Intermittent Wipers; White LED dash; Deactivated seat belt buzzer; Blue Sea Fuse panel; BAMF light bar running 4 Lightforce 170's (2 HID); FX-R retro HID's 4300k, with amber halo's, BHLM with black reflector bowl; stealth mode; Fenix Hide-a-way flashers as DTRL's; VIAIR OBA kit with 2.5 gal tank; 14" Magnaflow stainless steel cat back exhaust; de-badged; Hybrid badge applied; seasonal 4wheel camper "Fleet"
    Okay, I have a bizzar situation here and I could use some help. I have 4 strings of christmas lights plugged into each other (series) and into a switched plug. The first 2 lights aren't turning off but the last 2 strings go on and off with the switch. I can't figure out why this is happening. I am using the following;

2 - 50' strings of LED holiday lights (first 2)
    2 - 100' strings of smaller LED lights (last 2)
    7 day digital programmable timer wired in series with a photocell so the lights only come on between a certain timeframe if it's dark enough

Thanks,

2. Dec 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM
    Slesse

Slesse [OP] Tacoma level 27

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Port Coquitlam
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    Pro Comp Rims;32" Duratrack Tires; OME heavy duty lift in rear; 2" spacer lift in front; custom raised bed in box; Lear canopy; grillcraft grill; Rosen Head unit; Trail gear sliders; Tinted windows all around; Intermittent Wipers; White LED dash; Deactivated seat belt buzzer; Blue Sea Fuse panel; BAMF light bar running 4 Lightforce 170's (2 HID); FX-R retro HID's 4300k, with amber halo's, BHLM with black reflector bowl; stealth mode; Fenix Hide-a-way flashers as DTRL's; VIAIR OBA kit with 2.5 gal tank; 14" Magnaflow stainless steel cat back exhaust; de-badged; Hybrid badge applied; seasonal 4wheel camper "Fleet"
    Correction, the first 2 strings are dim until the switch is activated, then they get bright at the same time that the last 2 strings go on.

3. Dec 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    This isn't clear to me. Is the timer/photocell wired to the switched outlet? If everything is connected to the same outlet (not one to the upper and one to the lower of a duplex outlet--switched outlets are typically wired so only one half of a duplex outlet is switched), then you have a wiring anomaly. Get a voltmeter and measure the voltage when things are supposed to be off and let us know what you have.

4. Dec 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Initial thoughts is a bad switch? Some digital timers do not like LED lights. What happens if you plug the entire assembly directly into a wall outlet? That will tell you if it is a problem with the lights, or the timer/controller. If they operate properly (which I assume they will since they all come on with the timer turned on) then I would suspect that the timer/controller is either bad, or just is not handling the LED lights properly.

5. Dec 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    My first thought is stray voltage on your neutral side. Or check the switch to be sure it is switching the hot leg instead of the neutral. Another thought, is there something plugged into the other side of the outlet, if so try removing it.

6. Dec 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ditto.

Triac outputs need a fair load to properly shut off.
    Add a single 60w light bulb to the strings and see if they shut down properly. If so, your timer won't work with LEDs.

Products Discussed in

To Top