Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Ideas for new contruction

Old 12-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #21
Jesus thinks you suck too
Frkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
Frkypunk's Tacoma Gallery
In the same boat. I designed a wood room that holds ten cords of wood under the front porch of the house. I am also am going a couple extra courses on the masonry, to accommodate for ductwork. My house has a basement though and I know a lot of houses down south are just on a slab. Start thinking about your heating and cooling options, that's what I have been doing recently. Good luck with it, sounds like you are on the right path.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #22
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkypunk View Post
In the same boat. I designed a wood room that holds ten cords of wood under the front porch of the house. I am also am going a couple extra courses on the masonry, to accommodate for ductwork. My house has a basement though and I know a lot of houses down south are just on a slab. Start thinking about your heating and cooling options, that's what I have been doing recently. Good luck with it, sounds like you are on the right path.
Does your area have termite / carpenter ant issues ?
Old 12-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #23
toyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Darrell
toyotaman29's Tacoma Gallery
If you're wanting wood heat, I like the water stove boilers like the all stainless steel Hardy brand and add some solar panels on the garage or shop so you can have plenty of hot water, and all you're fire wood can be kept away from the house and near the outdoor heater. I like the copper pipe also, but with well water, have it tested you may need a water softer to adjust the Ph and hardness of the water but town or county water should be fine.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #24
Frkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Does your area have termite / carpenter ant issues ?
No issues...and it will be well ventilated...thank you for the concern though
Old 12-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkypunk View Post
No issues...and it will be well ventilated...thank you for the concern though
I'm not concerned , just hate introducing bugs into a new home
Old 12-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #26

Quote:
I'm not concerned , just hate introducing bugs into a new home
I agree, but it will be all block with corrugated metal roof(for the porch) there are always bug problems and air problems I think I may have solved that.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #27
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
also sink in the garage
I gotta agree BIG time on that one!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #28
07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
07regtacoman's Tacoma Gallery
I would want a bathroom to every bedroom.Enough room in the kitchen for a kegerator.Underground shooting range in the basement.I think big.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
you need this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4411885.html
Old 12-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #30
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
I like all the things listed so far EXCEPT the squatty potty. That's NOT gonna happen. :-). Though I do think a urinal is a cool plan.

My last place had most of the stuff listed above. I didn't have the break between the brick & framed walls but, it does sound pretty reasonable.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #32
Fish On !!!
SH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
At least 3 exterior hose bibs; all exterior doors at least 3' wide; 3'6" wide stairs at minimum; 9' first floor ceiling; stick frame roof ( no trusses!) and install plywood on attic floor; minimum of 5 exterior outlets; on demand water heater; for private septic- two septic tanks and oversize drain field;
Interior doors 2'10" minimum width; 3'6" minimum width hallways; each room should have a home run for wiring; install plumbing in basement floor for future finish.
I also put a washbox in my family room at aquarium location.

This is added to the 2x6 exterior walls and insulation previously mentioned by prior posts.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #34
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
3 car garage, shop area (sound in the walls and ceiling throughout the whole house and garage, and shop),heated and cooled tiles in the kitchen, mudroom, and bathrooms.

Sound system controlled by a central computer, which is controlled by smartphone if you want.

Vault room, and a theatre room.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #35
MiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MiniBike's Tacoma Gallery
Concrete safe room w/plumbing if possible. False rear walls in bedroom closets for some additional hidey space. Full bath either in the garage or w/direct access from the garage. Walk in kitchen pantry.

I used to decorate a lot for Christmas, so I added outlets around the entire perimeter of the house, outlets around the yard and carriage lights throughout the outside living areas - all wired to a timer in the garage. I'm never more than 50' from electricity.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #36

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Ideas for new contruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH7mi View Post
At least 3 exterior hose bibs; all exterior doors at least 3' wide; 3'6" wide stairs at minimum; 9' first floor ceiling; stick frame roof ( no trusses!) and install plywood on attic floor; minimum of 5 exterior outlets; on demand water heater; for private septic- two septic tanks and oversize drain field;
Interior doors 2'10" minimum width; 3'6" minimum width hallways; each room should have a home run for wiring; install plumbing in basement floor for future finish.
I also put a washbox in my family room at aquarium location.

This is added to the 2x6 exterior walls and insulation previously mentioned by prior posts.
If you're going to have an attic why not trusses ?

and what's your reasoning on the 2 septic tanks ?
Old 12-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #37
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you're going to have an attic why not trusses ?

and what's your reasoning on the 2 septic tanks ?

My guess on the septic tanks would be one for toilet waste and the other for grey water.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #38
GrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Paratrooper
Name: Andy
GrayTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Have the garage/ shop detached from the house. It will be cheaper on the house insurance, ask them. And you will have more storage space space for a lift, man cave, office. Oh the ppossibilities. ....
Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #39

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
My guess on the septic tanks would be one for toilet waste and the other for grey water.
That's completely redundant if they both then go into the disposal field
Old 12-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #40

Quote:
That's completely redundant if they both then go into the disposal field
The tank should have both in it...it kind of acts like a giant toilet bowl...so what oz is saying is true, unless you have different codes there.