1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ideas for new contruction

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Joe D, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Dec 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    Joe D

Joe D [OP] .

Member:
    That's it, what things would you guys put in a new build house?

Pre-wire for sorround sound & security system? Lighting and electrical outlets in the crawl & attic? Interior switched exterior outlets? 2x6 exterior walls? Geothermal heat & cooling?

What are some things/extras that you guys might build into a new place?

Biscuits likes this.
  2. Dec 12, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    Some of my personal preferences (some learned from my last house purchase): 20 amp circuits (wired with 12 ga wire) for all outlets. No lights on outlet circuits. At least 4 outlet circuits at kitchen counters. Three or 4 way switches (as required) at all entrances of rooms for overhead lights. Surge (lightning) protection in the main breaker box. Copper plumbing, medium or heavy grade. Geothermal heating/cooling and 2x6 walls make good sense. Extra storage room. Steel roofing. Low maintenance siding. Good quality double pane windows. Good quality storm doors (solid wood interior, not particle board). More storage room than you might think you need. Quality flooring (not carpet--that is hard on allergies). Good quality cabinets (not particle board). Provisions for a back-up electrical generator. Did I mention plenty of storage room?

3. Dec 12, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Thermally break the 2x6 exterior walls by using 1" exterior styrofoam sheeting over the plywood. , hyrdonically heated concrete over framing , no potlights in the insulated ceilings

4. Dec 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Air to water heat pump for the hydronic heating system which provides domestic hot water preheat

Woodstove with interior masonary chimney

5. Dec 12, 2013 at 11:07 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Biggest thing personally I would do would be having the ENTIRE house prewired on all walls for power, TV, and internet. Put a big router in the main breaker room that can have each internet leg controlled individually. (So they can be on timer or blocked) and also have the living room set up so that you can get surround sound from any wall. You can do this automatically on some systems which can individually change which speaker is which internally.

Also I like the idea of 2X6 exterior wall studs, a 3 car garage, and state-of-the-art kitchen.

6. Dec 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    Wheres the new house going?

Consideration of climate should drive ideas.

7. Dec 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    Joe D

Joe D [OP] .

Member:
    Thanks guys, please keep the thoughts coming.

It'll be built near Oxford, Mississippi.

I have the ground and I'm making progress on getting it paid off (which I want before I start on the new house). So, I'm in the early planning stage.

I'm kinda thinking a single level (for when I get old or if my parents end up staying with me), 3 bed, 3.5 bath (full bath in each bedroom), 2.5 to 3 car attached & finished garage with between 2,000 & 2,400 square feet of living space (excluding porches & garage). Walk in closets in each bedroom. Hardwood floors except wet areas where I would put in ceramic. Plenty of porch area both screened & not.

I'd like to compile a "wish list" and then wittle it down based on my need/want/budget considerations. I don't wanna have a "damn why didn't I think of that sooner" moment. That's why I'm fishing for ideas now.

Again thanks for throwing some thoughts my way.

8. Dec 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    sex dungeon

9. Dec 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    NewRider

NewRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Charlottesville , Va
    Vehicle:
    '87 4runner
    No copper pipes! I grew up on house with those and we ended up switching over to all PVC because of oxidation issues with the copper... Same thing that happens to a pennies if left to get wet, and if you wanna know what that water tastes like go suck on a pennie (but clean it first..lol)

10. Dec 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    jlleiber

jlleiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport DC 4x4
    2x6 exterior walls would be awesome and would allow you to stuff plenty of insulation in there.

If you like to grill and run a gas grill - I had my contractor run a gas line to my back patio and bought a natural gas grill. Always hooked up and don't have to worry about refilling an LP tank. It's nothing major but is one of my favorite aspects of my house.

Another small thing I like is I have extended height bathroom sinks. I'm 6'2 and it makes it nice having a little more height at the sink.

11. Dec 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM
    00PowderSpecial

00PowderSpecial Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DC
    I'm in the process of a build now, and theres a lot of great ideas here in this thread already. My house is 1650 sq ft on main floor with a full basement which will have the laundry room, extra bathroom, utility room, storage room, extra bedroom and a tv room. I have a attached garage thats 24x22, and another 26x18 in the back yard. I am no putting in any land line phone, internet cabling, or cable for tv's. Seems like a waste of time now, with everything going wireless. My gf and I both just use iphones, and use wireless internet and smart tv's. Everything we watch on tv is in the itunes store or netflix. My exterior walls are 2x6. For heat I am using a 3.5 ton air to air heat pump with 15kW aux heating source, and will also have a 50,000 btu propane fireplace in the living room. Make sure you have lots of outlets in the walls, and go with LED lighting. Theres so many ways to customize everything now too, basically if you can think it, it can be done.

12. Dec 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    all depends on your water

13. Dec 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Seriously gents , 1" styrofoam over the exterior walls will be your greatest improvement as far as insulation goes , even changing from 2x4 to 2x6 construction won't gain you as much although I would do 2x6 and the exterior styro here as 2x6 walls meet our R20 exterior insulation code

14. Dec 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    GAS grill? Those words are dangerous in the south. lmao.:D

15. Dec 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    Nice big screened in patio.

16. Dec 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    phoxlabs

phoxlabs Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Rocklin, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma 4x4
    I've designed a lot of customs over the years and have seen a lot of them with revisions during construction and then the later retro fits.

Prewire the SHIT out of the house. As much wireless crap that is on the market you can't go wrong for hard wiring everything. I'm talking cat5 in every room and yes the bathroom along with coax. pre wire alarms. 220 for a welder in the garage. 220 in the rear of the house for hot tub. gas line to the rear of the house. out door bbq/kitchen with electrical, cat5 and coax.

love wet bars in homes and of course the movie theater.

storage, linen and coat closets, can never have enough

17. Dec 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Agree on the prewire , we run 2 Cat5E and 2 Coax to each " media " recepticle in the houses I build

18. Dec 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    chris5255

chris5255 Me mber

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Renton WA
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport-'07 FJ Cruiser
    BAMF Sliders Fog light switch mod, Pelfreybilt Front bumper, Warn Zeon10 winch pinstriping for speed
    Exterior hot water faucet at driveway for washing cars.

19. Dec 13, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    coffeesnob

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

also sink in the garage

20. Dec 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    coffeesnob

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    another thing if you have the option... placement of house in relation to the sun, nothing worse than sun bearing down on you in the summer as you are grilling out or having a get together.

Products Discussed in

To Top