Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Ideas for new contruction

Old 12-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery

That's it, what things would you guys put in a new build house?

Pre-wire for sorround sound & security system? Lighting and electrical outlets in the crawl & attic? Interior switched exterior outlets? 2x6 exterior walls? Geothermal heat & cooling?

What are some things/extras that you guys might build into a new place?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
Some of my personal preferences (some learned from my last house purchase): 20 amp circuits (wired with 12 ga wire) for all outlets. No lights on outlet circuits. At least 4 outlet circuits at kitchen counters. Three or 4 way switches (as required) at all entrances of rooms for overhead lights. Surge (lightning) protection in the main breaker box. Copper plumbing, medium or heavy grade. Geothermal heating/cooling and 2x6 walls make good sense. Extra storage room. Steel roofing. Low maintenance siding. Good quality double pane windows. Good quality storm doors (solid wood interior, not particle board). More storage room than you might think you need. Quality flooring (not carpet--that is hard on allergies). Good quality cabinets (not particle board). Provisions for a back-up electrical generator. Did I mention plenty of storage room?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery

Thermally break the 2x6 exterior walls by using 1" exterior styrofoam sheeting over the plywood. , hyrdonically heated concrete over framing , no potlights in the insulated ceilings
Old 12-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery

Air to water heat pump for the hydronic heating system which provides domestic hot water preheat

Woodstove with interior masonary chimney
Old 12-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Biggest thing personally I would do would be having the ENTIRE house prewired on all walls for power, TV, and internet. Put a big router in the main breaker room that can have each internet leg controlled individually. (So they can be on timer or blocked) and also have the living room set up so that you can get surround sound from any wall. You can do this automatically on some systems which can individually change which speaker is which internally.

Also I like the idea of 2X6 exterior wall studs, a 3 car garage, and state-of-the-art kitchen.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Wheres the new house going?

Consideration of climate should drive ideas.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, please keep the thoughts coming.

It'll be built near Oxford, Mississippi.

I have the ground and I'm making progress on getting it paid off (which I want before I start on the new house). So, I'm in the early planning stage.

I'm kinda thinking a single level (for when I get old or if my parents end up staying with me), 3 bed, 3.5 bath (full bath in each bedroom), 2.5 to 3 car attached & finished garage with between 2,000 & 2,400 square feet of living space (excluding porches & garage). Walk in closets in each bedroom. Hardwood floors except wet areas where I would put in ceramic. Plenty of porch area both screened & not.

I'd like to compile a "wish list" and then wittle it down based on my need/want/budget considerations. I don't wanna have a "damn why didn't I think of that sooner" moment. That's why I'm fishing for ideas now.

Again thanks for throwing some thoughts my way.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
sex dungeon
Old 12-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis, Truck: Baja
NewRider's Tacoma Gallery
No copper pipes! I grew up on house with those and we ended up switching over to all PVC because of oxidation issues with the copper... Same thing that happens to a pennies if left to get wet, and if you wanna know what that water tastes like go suck on a pennie (but clean it first..lol)
Old 12-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
jlleiber has a spectacular aura aboutjlleiber has a spectacular aura about
Name: Justin
jlleiber's Tacoma Gallery
2x6 exterior walls would be awesome and would allow you to stuff plenty of insulation in there.

If you like to grill and run a gas grill - I had my contractor run a gas line to my back patio and bought a natural gas grill. Always hooked up and don't have to worry about refilling an LP tank. It's nothing major but is one of my favorite aspects of my house.

Another small thing I like is I have extended height bathroom sinks. I'm 6'2 and it makes it nice having a little more height at the sink.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
00PowderSpecial is on a distinguished road
Name: Chad
00PowderSpecial's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the process of a build now, and theres a lot of great ideas here in this thread already. My house is 1650 sq ft on main floor with a full basement which will have the laundry room, extra bathroom, utility room, storage room, extra bedroom and a tv room. I have a attached garage thats 24x22, and another 26x18 in the back yard. I am no putting in any land line phone, internet cabling, or cable for tv's. Seems like a waste of time now, with everything going wireless. My gf and I both just use iphones, and use wireless internet and smart tv's. Everything we watch on tv is in the itunes store or netflix. My exterior walls are 2x6. For heat I am using a 3.5 ton air to air heat pump with 15kW aux heating source, and will also have a 50,000 btu propane fireplace in the living room. Make sure you have lots of outlets in the walls, and go with LED lighting. Theres so many ways to customize everything now too, basically if you can think it, it can be done.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
No copper pipes! I grew up on house with those and we ended up switching over to all PVC because of oxidation issues with the copper... Same thing that happens to a pennies if left to get wet, and if you wanna know what that water tastes like go suck on a pennie (but clean it first..lol)
all depends on your water
Old 12-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery

Seriously gents , 1" styrofoam over the exterior walls will be your greatest improvement as far as insulation goes , even changing from 2x4 to 2x6 construction won't gain you as much although I would do 2x6 and the exterior styro here as 2x6 walls meet our R20 exterior insulation code
Old 12-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlleiber View Post
2x6 exterior walls would be awesome and would allow you to stuff plenty of insulation in there.

If you like to grill and run a gas grill - I had my contractor run a gas line to my back patio and bought a natural gas grill. Always hooked up and don't have to worry about refilling an LP tank. It's nothing major but is one of my favorite aspects of my house.

Another small thing I like is I have extended height bathroom sinks. I'm 6'2 and it makes it nice having a little more height at the sink.
GAS grill? Those words are dangerous in the south. lmao.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Nice big screened in patio.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
phoxlabs is on a distinguished road
Name: Chad
phoxlabs's Tacoma Gallery
I've designed a lot of customs over the years and have seen a lot of them with revisions during construction and then the later retro fits.

Prewire the SHIT out of the house. As much wireless crap that is on the market you can't go wrong for hard wiring everything. I'm talking cat5 in every room and yes the bathroom along with coax. pre wire alarms. 220 for a welder in the garage. 220 in the rear of the house for hot tub. gas line to the rear of the house. out door bbq/kitchen with electrical, cat5 and coax.

love wet bars in homes and of course the movie theater.

storage, linen and coat closets, can never have enough
Old 12-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxlabs View Post
I've designed a lot of customs over the years and have seen a lot of them with revisions during construction and then the later retro fits.

Prewire the SHIT out of the house. As much wireless crap that is on the market you can't go wrong for hard wiring everything. I'm talking cat5 in every room and yes the bathroom along with coax. pre wire alarms. 220 for a welder in the garage. 220 in the rear of the house for hot tub. gas line to the rear of the house. out door bbq/kitchen with electrical, cat5 and coax.

love wet bars in homes and of course the movie theater.

storage, linen and coat closets, can never have enough
Agree on the prewire , we run 2 Cat5E and 2 Coax to each " media " recepticle in the houses I build
Old 12-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
Me mber
chris5255 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
chris5255's Tacoma Gallery
Exterior hot water faucet at driveway for washing cars.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #19
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5255 View Post
Exterior hot water faucet at driveway for washing cars.

also sink in the garage
Old 12-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #20

another thing if you have the option... placement of house in relation to the sun, nothing worse than sun bearing down on you in the summer as you are grilling out or having a get together.