Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Which 18V Drill should I buy?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #41
Don't Compromise; Notarize!
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Craftsman.

Kidding aside, I bought my set close to 10 years ago, and everything still works. I've added batteries so I've got 4 in rotation and two chargers, and I've worked all day and never run out of juice. Plenty of torque for just about any job, and I can't even count how many times I've knocked the drill driver off of high places and had to climb down and get it. Nothing has broken, needed repair, or fallen apart.

Plus, they've got a TON of tools as part of the C3 platform.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:11 AM   #42
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
I have had Ryobi for years, abused and still working...

However, that said, the Makita's have the power and massive torque, it is all in the gearing and super efficient motor....

The Homey version is not bad either, lifetime warranty through HD, can't go wrong, I have one of their workforce tile cutters from years back, just keeps on working, good stuff...
Old 12-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #43
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to all of you for posting your feedback. However, there's still no clear leader. I've decided to but all 4 sets and run them through some tests at home. I'll be looking at the following:

1. Ergonomics
2. Practical use
3. Extras (radios, batteries, clips, etc)
4. Ease of use
5. Charge time
6. Battery life
7. Power/Torque
8. Warranty

Am I missing anything? Is there anything else I should be looking out for?
Old 12-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #44
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTaco View Post
Thanks to all of you for posting your feedback. However, there's still no clear leader. I've decided to but all 4 sets and run them through some tests at home. I'll be looking at the following:

1. Ergonomics
2. Practical use
3. Extras (radios, batteries, clips, etc)
4. Ease of use
5. Charge time
6. Battery life
7. Power/Torque
8. Warranty

Am I missing anything? Is there anything else I should be looking out for?
Read the reviews.
Oh, and anything that catches fire should be out.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #46
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
Buying all 4 sets and testing them is a little overkill, in my opinion. You said you're a DIY guy, not a pro, so most drills will probably suit you. Family Handyman (magazine) and several other companies have already compared many drills. FH chose DeWalt as their top choice.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #47
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
HD has a deal going on right now. Buy a drill/impact set for $300 and get a bare tool or radio for free. Oh ya makita FTW.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #48
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer Makita or Milwaukee. I currently have the Dewalt 4 pc kit from Depot and a two pc impact driver and drill from Milwaukee. I grew up using Makita's. I had the Dewalt set for years and like it but all of the tools in it are heavy as hell. I haven't touched them since I got the impact driver from Milwaukee. I needed to hang a single cabinet over my head in the laundry room. Didn't feel like building anything to hold it and I couldn't hold it up with one hand and fasten it to the wall with the other with my Dewalt. Not enough leverage. I bought the impact driver and it drove a 3" #1 Robertson one handed like butter, it was amazing. I also used it when building my deck to drive 8-10 3/8"x4" lags for the handrail posts. Worked great.

I love that thing.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #49
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the rigid combo and the first time I used the drill it stripped the gear. They replaced under warranty and is fine now. The impact is great. But I also bought the 20v dewalt lithium impact and drill(hammer drill) and it's bad ass
Old 12-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #51
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
I prefer Makita or Milwaukee. I currently have the Dewalt 4 pc kit from Depot and a two pc impact driver and drill from Milwaukee. I grew up using Makita's. I had the Dewalt set for years and like it but all of the tools in it are heavy as hell. I haven't touched them since I got the impact driver from Milwaukee. I needed to hang a single cabinet over my head in the laundry room. Didn't feel like building anything to hold it and I couldn't hold it up with one hand and fasten it to the wall with the other with my Dewalt. Not enough leverage. I bought the impact driver and it drove a 3" #1 Robertson one handed like butter, it was amazing. I also used it when building my deck to drive 8-10 3/8"x4" lags for the handrail posts. Worked great.

I love that thing.

I have this set as well as the newest makita 3 speed brushless impact driver. The makita leaves the Milwaukee in the dust. I used and abused my Milwaukee set for over a year and now the brushes are shot. I should post up a comparison video later if i get the chance. When it was brand new the Milwaukee was awesome, but now it is slow and loud, and does not have as much torque as my makita.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #52
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
I have this set as well as the newest makita 3 speed brushless impact driver. The makita leaves the Milwaukee in the dust. I used and abused my Milwaukee set for over a year and now the brushes are shot. I should post up a comparison video later if i get the chance. When it was brand new the Milwaukee was awesome, but now it is slow and loud, and does not have as much torque as my makita.
One thing to consider is that the milwaukee set is not brushless. Brushless drills are a lot more powerful and efficient, but out of my price range.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTaco View Post
One thing to consider is that the milwaukee set is not brushless. Brushless drills are a lot more powerful and efficient, but out of my price range.
If they're for homeowner purposes, brushless drills aren't worth the extra expense (IMHO).
Old 12-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #54
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That doesn't surprise me considering the price. I would expect the brushless Makita to be a damn nice tool. I use the hell out of my Milwaukee, had it for almost two years, and it hasn't missed a beat. I would think for a contractor/professional the Makita would be well worth the money but for a home owner or even someone who does a fair amount of stuff around the house the Milwaukee would be fine.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #55
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Milwaukee has a brushless 3 speed impact driver too and it blows my regular 18v makita impact out of the water.... got to compare apples to apples

I agree though brushless is expensive and not necessary for around the home occasional use but it kicks ass on the job site.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #56

^all good points. If i only used my drill occasional, and didn't use it for work, rigid may be a good choice because of the warranty and price.

O.P. If your still considering makita, the set you linked (http://m.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-V...200W/100596872) comes with a free LED flashlight at the home depots around here.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #57
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Get the Blue Makitas not the Black and White ones
Old 12-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I just bought the blue set for my dad for x-mas and got a free cordless skillsaw Have you had issues with the white ones? My buddy dropped his from waist height and the head completely seperated from the rest of the drill.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #59
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just bought the blue set for my dad for x-mas and got a free cordless skillsaw Have you had issues with the white ones? My buddy dropped his from waist height and the head completely seperated from the rest of the drill.

My 18V Makita set up is an impact driver , hammer drill , circular saw , reciprocating saw , flashlight and a 4' concrete vibrator

http://blogs.toolbarn.com/2006/11/ma...white-vs-blue/
Old 12-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #60
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
not gonna happen for $200

Products Discussed in this Thread