Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Which 18V Drill should I buy?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #61
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskquatch11 View Post
not gonna happen for $200

Was there a $200 budget ? Guess I missed that , my bad
Old 12-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #62
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
My 18V Makita set up is an impact driver , hammer drill , circular saw , reciprocating saw , flashlight and a 4' concrete vibrator

http://blogs.toolbarn.com/2006/11/ma...white-vs-blue/
Nice link. I have a mix of milwaukee, makita, dewalt. I am slowly switching over to all makita cordless. Next on the list is a cordless jigsaw, then multitool, then maybe sawzall.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #63
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Was there a $200 budget ? Guess I missed that , my bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTaco View Post
I should probable mention I'm trying to stay in the $200 range since its just for DIY. I'm not a pro of any sort and dont expect to use it every day.
$289 is the cheapest I could find, which isn't bad considering that includes $200 worth of batteries.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18...202614509-_-N#
Old 12-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #64
International Jewel Thief
Drummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Michael
Drummer0247's Tacoma Gallery
I have had nothing but great luck with makita...had my drill for about ten years and thing still works like a champ..... might want to also consider craftsman , heard their power tool line is a craftsman shell with dewalt guts, i have a craftsman impact driver and it works great for my needs and it didn't break the bank.....
Old 12-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #65
victorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nice
Name: Victor
victorramse3's Tacoma Gallery
I have to vote for Makita. I have this kit of theirs and it does not disappoint.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18...00W/100596872#

I had used cordless drills years ago and never found them to be powerful enough but these drills almost seem too powerful. Albeit I just use them for around the house stuff they continue to impress.

I also received this circular saw as a present for Christmas and I was very impressed with the power behind it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18...11Z/202229529#
Old 12-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #66
2006TRDSPORT
2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
2006TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I've used a Channel lock 18V drill with no issues for over 2 yrs.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #67
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using the Dewalt 20v for two years with no issues at all. Long battery life, crazy torque, 1005 satisfied.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #68
williams63 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwilliams63 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwilliams63 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwilliams63 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwilliams63 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwilliams63 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwilliams63 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwilliams63 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwilliams63 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwilliams63 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwilliams63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: chili
williams63's Tacoma Gallery
//

i have both dewalt and porter cable both are 20volt lithium I use every day. both are great but love the feel and comfort of the porter cable. also I don't think hd sells porter cable.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #69
!@$%#
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks to all of you for posting your feedback. However, there's still no clear leader. I've decided to but all 4 sets and run them through some tests at home. I'll be looking at the following:

1. Ergonomics
2. Practical use
3. Extras (radios, batteries, clips, etc)
4. Ease of use
5. Charge time
6. Battery life
7. Power/Torque
8. Warranty

Am I missing anything? Is there anything else I should be looking out for?
Definitely not gonna stay under $200 that way!
Old 12-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #70
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robssol View Post
Definitely not gonna stay under $200 that way!
I'm looking to do the best I can with the $200.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #71
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm looking to do the best I can with the $200.

Stretch your budget a bit and buy this

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-V...-202614509-_-N

With a solid foundation you can add extra tools later
Old 12-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #72
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Stretch your budget a bit and buy this

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-V...-202614509-_-N

With a solid foundation you can add extra tools later
This. Plus HD is probably still running the promotion on this set. Buy the set and get a $100 value bare tool for free.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #73
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
This is a timely thread!

Just yesterday I picked up the Milwaukee combo from HD; a Hammer drill/driver and Impact Driver, 2 batteries (M18 Red-lithium XC), charger, and fabric case. The icing on the cake is that Milwaukee was offering an additional bare tool FREE with the purchase of the combo. I opted for the cordless 4 1/4" grinder. I thought it was an great deal @ $299.

Obviously they haven't 'stood the test' yet but they seemed to be very well built, were not too heavy, felt great in my hand, and featured some nice options

I have generally been a DeWalt guy but I'm optimistic about this new purchase. Starting a big job the first of the year and will really put these guys to work
Old 12-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #74
Ngotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Ngotoma's Tacoma Gallery
We have been running DeWalts at my shop for a long time, but the few recent items we use didn't last a year. I am slowly converting my shop at work with Milwaukee 18v lithium units. I was very impressed with how they handle the abuse. I also picked up a few of the smaller 12v lithium drills and they perform very well also.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #75
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
*********UPDATE*******

I ended up purchasing the Ridgid combo with free tool!
I paid $269 but received a reciprocating saw with it as well.
This, combined with the lifetime warranty sealed the deal!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #76
Insert nonsense here
rmerchant3 has a spectacular aura aboutrmerchant3 has a spectacular aura aboutrmerchant3 has a spectacular aura about

rmerchant3's Tacoma Gallery
Brushless is the way to go. Makita, Milwaukee, or Dewalt are the way to go. I personally have the brushless Dewalt that I use at work every day. No problems. Milwaukee is always out with the new technology first though and offers many more tools in the brushless department.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #77

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmerchant3 View Post
Brushless is the way to go. Makita, Milwaukee, or Dewalt are the way to go. I personally have the brushless Dewalt that I use at work every day. No problems. Milwaukee is always out with the new technology first though and offers many more tools in the brushless department.
I would agree that for a pro/daily use brushles is the way to go. However, I'm a DIY'er, meaning I use it for light projects around the house. In my case, brushless would be over kill and I really dont feel like spending the extra money to have the drill just sit around.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #78
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
I like Milwaukee
I also like Milwaukee... But I noticed your avatar... Local 8 here.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:46 AM   #79
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
I just got this set with a free 18v power planer for $299

So far so good.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE...884/203466936#
Old 01-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #80

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris77 View Post
I just got this set with a free 18v power planer for $299

So far so good.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE...884/203466936#
Damn! That's a lot of tools!

Products Discussed in this Thread