1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which 18V Drill should I buy?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by OCTaco, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Dec 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    OCTaco

OCTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Hi,

So I've been looking to buy a nice cordless 18V drill for a really long time. This x-mas I got some gift cards to home depot and am finally going to pull the trigger. However, I dont know which drill kit to buy. So far I've nailed it down to 4. The items and reasons are listed below:

Ridgid 18v combo -
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...-Combo-Kit-3-Tool-with-Radio-R9601/203810442#

Reasons:
    1. Lifetime warranty
    2. Radio (I know it's dumb but I think that the radio is pretty cool)

Milwaukee -
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cat...Error?storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&langId=-1

Reasons:
    It's a milwaukee

Dewalt -
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-Li-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-DCK280C2/202922366#

Rasons:
    1. It's a Dewalt
    2. 20V (although I'm not sure what the difference is)

Makita -
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Compact-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-LCT200W/100596872#

Reasons:
    1. Charge time of 15 mins

All feedback is welcomed.

2. Dec 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garage Most Likely
    Vehicle:
    DCFB (RIP)
    Some Stuff
    I've never had any of those brands. I DO however have the new Ryobi 18V stuff. With the new batteries, they are much better than they used to be. Less expensive too!

3. Dec 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Love my 18V Makita tools

4. Dec 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    Glueman

Glueman Yersinia pestis

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    The Plague....
    6 inch Douche Bag lift...what else do I need?
    Milwakee FTW. Seriously, I work the sh!t out of mine and they are still going after 6 years.

5. Dec 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    Yaozer

Yaozer Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red DCSB TRD Sport
    Flowmaster exhaust, 3" Old Man Emu lift, Konig Countersteer Rims, and too much more.
    I really like my Rigid hammer drill. Never had a problem.

6. Dec 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    MI4x4Toy

MI4x4Toy The slowest build EVER!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MI
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    My Ridgid hammer drill has 4 years of pretty hard abuse. Still runs like a champ. Just got new batteries for my set this year.

7. Dec 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    Canadian Taco 705

Canadian Taco 705 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Windsor Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black 2.7L 2WD Debadged
    Interior: Hardwire GPS Hardwire USB x2 Extra Cig Lighter Mag Light Mod x2 Exterior: Debadged TRD hood Bull Bar Halo Headlights 6000K Lumens HID 50% Windshield Tint 5% Window Tint
    I love my 20v dewalt kit- TONS of power it'll drill through just about anything. and the saw is great for working on the roof.

Dewalt is my vote.

8. Dec 26, 2013 at 2:55 PM
    thebrick

thebrick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frontrange
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7L Base
    fox 2.0 remote res toytec UCA all pro add a leaf bilstein 5100 all pro standard bumper hid kit
    Rigid FTW. Makita and Milwaukee are great but Rigid's just as good, and you'll probably never need it but, you can't beat a lifetime warranty.

If you read the fine print on the packaging, you'll find that "With respect to 20V MAX*:Maximum initial battery voltage (measured without a workload) is 20 volts. Nominal voltage is 18." Meaning that as soon as you pull the trigger, your drill is actually operating at 18v.

9. Dec 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I put a 4" hole saw on a 18V DeWalt and went through 1/4" steel diamond plate no problem. I use DeWalt at work and at home. Just make sure its the XRP model. More expensive but worth it!:D

10. Dec 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    OCTaco

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    No shit.

11. Dec 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM
    OCTaco

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    I should probable mention I'm trying to stay in the $200 range since its just for DIY. I'm not a pro of any sort and dont expect to use it every day.

12. Dec 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    I've got 2 of the Dewalt 20v lithium combo kits with the 1/2" Drill and hex Impact driver's. We use them around my shop daily and have done so for about a year without any problems. They dont get treated the greatest either... Employee's never treat equipment like the person that bought the tool would. :rolleyes: I dont really have experience with the others, but the dewalt's get my vote based on a few of the other Rigid and Makita tools I have and have used in the past.

13. Dec 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Damn , ain't that the truth

14. Dec 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    monoman

monoman Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tacoma SR Access Cab 4X4
    SnugTop SuperSport shell CaliRaisedLED light bar Toyo Open Country AT/3's Bilstein 5100's up front, (#2) & 4600 in rear Daily driver....
    Earlier this year I picked up the Rigid kit but it didn't come with the radio. That's pretty cool. That must be something new.
    I've had pretty good luck so far with them. Can't go wrong with the lifetime warranty either.

15. Dec 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    OCTaco

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    How's the battery life? I've heard a lot of complaints about long charging time and poor battery life.

16. Dec 26, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    snorola

snorola Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Canmore Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Dbl Cab
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Eibach 14" 650lb springs Camburg UCA's All pro expo springs OME rear shocks All pro front bumper All pro IFS skid All pro sliders SCS f5 matt black rims Lightforce blitz 240's
    I would cross the rigid off the list we have that same kit in our shop tools and it stays in the shop as the battery life and power is pretty poor and that radio is junk.

All the guys I work with run dewalt and all my tools are makita 18v and have good power and battery life. I have a 5 piece 18v makita kit that I have been using daily for 3 years and it all still works great. I would say they are fairly similar in performance of course depending on model, battery size etc

I always heard good stuff about milwaukee but have never tried it because of the price. However I just spent 3 weeks working in -30 to -40 putting 500 screws in a roof per day and my makita batteries were dying quickly and so were the other guys dewalt gear so I went to home depot and picked up the new milwaukee fuel brushless impact..... damn that thing is awesome battery life in the cold was over double or triple other tools and the thing had power to burn, had to turn it to the second setting to stop snapping screws.

For home use I would go with the makita or dewalt

17. Dec 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I work for HD and own the Makita set you posted the link to.
    Excellent tools - I use the shit out of the drill weekly with my grills.
    I bought a step bit and it blew through boring out a hole in my LCA for mounting the skids like nothing.
    Best of luck with your decision!

18. Dec 26, 2013 at 4:26 PM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    Most of the tool reviews I've read all say that Ryobi is the best bang for your buck, if your a home DIY type person. Makita for more DIY and contractor duties.

19. Dec 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    I've had the ridgid combo for over a year without any complaints or problems

20. Dec 26, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    I have the Makita, but the blue one. I don't have much experience with other full size drills but the Makita hasn't let me down. I also have the impact and the blower. The blower is the best, which is why I would recommend Makita. I use it so often! Cleaning, blowing water off of the truck after washing... its the best for the mirrors, grill, emblems, you name it... also for cleaning out the bed, stoking campfires and bbqs. Just got one for my gf's dad for Christmas since he loved mine so much. I vote Makita!

Products Discussed in

To Top