Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Which 18V Drill should I buy?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Which 18V Drill should I buy?

Hi,

So I've been looking to buy a nice cordless 18V drill for a really long time. This x-mas I got some gift cards to home depot and am finally going to pull the trigger. However, I dont know which drill kit to buy. So far I've nailed it down to 4. The items and reasons are listed below:

Ridgid 18v combo -
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18...601/203810442#

Reasons:
1. Lifetime warranty
2. Radio (I know it's dumb but I think that the radio is pretty cool)

Milwaukee -
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...0053&langId=-1

Reasons:
It's a milwaukee

Dewalt -
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20...0C2/202922366#

Rasons:
1. It's a Dewalt
2. 20V (although I'm not sure what the difference is)

Makita -
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18...00W/100596872#

Reasons:
1. Charge time of 15 mins

All feedback is welcomed.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
HolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shed

HolyHandGrenade's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had any of those brands. I DO however have the new Ryobi 18V stuff. With the new batteries, they are much better than they used to be. Less expensive too!
Old 12-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
I really like my Rigid hammer drill. Never had a problem.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
The slowest build EVER!!
MI4x4Toy will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
MI4x4Toy's Tacoma Gallery
My Ridgid hammer drill has 4 years of pretty hard abuse. Still runs like a champ. Just got new batteries for my set this year.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Canadian Taco 705 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Canadian Taco 705's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 20v dewalt kit- TONS of power it'll drill through just about anything. and the saw is great for working on the roof.

Dewalt is my vote.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
thebrick is on a distinguished road

thebrick's Tacoma Gallery
Rigid FTW. Makita and Milwaukee are great but Rigid's just as good, and you'll probably never need it but, you can't beat a lifetime warranty.

If you read the fine print on the packaging, you'll find that "With respect to 20V MAX*:Maximum initial battery voltage (measured without a workload) is 20 volts. Nominal voltage is 18." Meaning that as soon as you pull the trigger, your drill is actually operating at 18v.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Working at the Nauga Ranch
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
I put a 4" hole saw on a 18V DeWalt and went through 1/4" steel diamond plate no problem. I use DeWalt at work and at home. Just make sure its the XRP model. More expensive but worth it!
Old 12-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrick View Post
Rigid FTW. Makita and Milwaukee are great but Rigid's just as good, and you'll probably never need it but, you can't beat a lifetime warranty.

If you read the fine print on the packaging, you'll find that "With respect to 20V MAX*:Maximum initial battery voltage (measured without a workload) is 20 volts. Nominal voltage is 18." Meaning that as soon as you pull the trigger, your drill is actually operating at 18v.
No shit.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #11

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robssol View Post
I put a 4" hole saw on a 18V DeWalt and went through 1/4" steel diamond plate no problem. I use DeWalt at work and at home. Just make sure its the XRP model. More expensive but worth it!
I should probable mention I'm trying to stay in the $200 range since its just for DIY. I'm not a pro of any sort and dont expect to use it every day.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've got 2 of the Dewalt 20v lithium combo kits with the 1/2" Drill and hex Impact driver's. We use them around my shop daily and have done so for about a year without any problems. They dont get treated the greatest either... Employee's never treat equipment like the person that bought the tool would. I dont really have experience with the others, but the dewalt's get my vote based on a few of the other Rigid and Makita tools I have and have used in the past.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Employee's never treat equipment like the person that bought the tool would.

Damn , ain't that the truth
Old 12-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Earlier this year I picked up the Rigid kit but it didn't come with the radio. That's pretty cool. That must be something new.
I've had pretty good luck so far with them. Can't go wrong with the lifetime warranty either.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #15

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoman View Post
Earlier this year I picked up the Rigid kit but it didn't come with the radio. That's pretty cool. That must be something new.
I've had pretty good luck so far with them. Can't go wrong with the lifetime warranty either.
How's the battery life? I've heard a lot of complaints about long charging time and poor battery life.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
I would cross the rigid off the list we have that same kit in our shop tools and it stays in the shop as the battery life and power is pretty poor and that radio is junk.

All the guys I work with run dewalt and all my tools are makita 18v and have good power and battery life. I have a 5 piece 18v makita kit that I have been using daily for 3 years and it all still works great. I would say they are fairly similar in performance of course depending on model, battery size etc

I always heard good stuff about milwaukee but have never tried it because of the price. However I just spent 3 weeks working in -30 to -40 putting 500 screws in a roof per day and my makita batteries were dying quickly and so were the other guys dewalt gear so I went to home depot and picked up the new milwaukee fuel brushless impact..... damn that thing is awesome battery life in the cold was over double or triple other tools and the thing had power to burn, had to turn it to the second setting to stop snapping screws.

For home use I would go with the makita or dewalt
Old 12-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
se7enine has much to be proud ofse7enine has much to be proud ofse7enine has much to be proud ofse7enine has much to be proud ofse7enine has much to be proud ofse7enine has much to be proud ofse7enine has much to be proud ofse7enine has much to be proud ofse7enine has much to be proud of

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the tool reviews I've read all say that Ryobi is the best bang for your buck, if your a home DIY type person. Makita for more DIY and contractor duties.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #19
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the ridgid combo for over a year without any complaints or problems
Old 12-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #20
wth is a junior member?
Vigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant future

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Makita, but the blue one. I don't have much experience with other full size drills but the Makita hasn't let me down. I also have the impact and the blower. The blower is the best, which is why I would recommend Makita. I use it so often! Cleaning, blowing water off of the truck after washing... its the best for the mirrors, grill, emblems, you name it... also for cleaning out the bed, stoking campfires and bbqs. Just got one for my gf's dad for Christmas since he loved mine so much. I vote Makita!

Products Discussed in this Thread