Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Air Compressor in Attic

Old 03-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
L8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant future

Air Force: Retired
L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
Air Compressor in Attic

I have a small air compressor and decided to put it in the attic for a couple of reasons. One I wanted to clear up some garage floor space and I was getting lazy about dragging it out every time I wanted to use it.

The attic over my garage covers the front half of the garage only and I use it for storage. I made a small deck for it and had a neighbor help me lift it up there. I cut a 6" hole in the ceiling to route the air hose and power cord. I reinforced the hole with a piece of 6" PVC. The hole also allows me to get to the drain plug on the bottom of the compressor with out going into the attic.

I need a 20 amp outlet to run the compressor (compressor trips 15 amp outlets), so I plug it into the washing machine circuit on the back wall of the garage and use a 20' 10/3 drag cord to get to the outlet. I plan to hard wire it one day. Probably after I tire using the cord.

I got a hose reel for xmas and mounted it to the ceiling near the compressor hole. The hose is long enough to go to the street and the hole thing makes using the compressor very convenient.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
NICE!!.. good Idea. I'me afraid to put mine up there due to weight and how hot it gets in my attick.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
very nice idea indeed. But as mentioned before, how hot does it get in your attic? how do you turn it on/off?
Old 03-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
good looking setup man!!! great space saving idea.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
L8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant future

L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
very nice idea indeed. But as mentioned before, how hot does it get in your attic? how do you turn it on/off?
The garage is on the northwest corner of our 2 story home. The roof of the garage attic gets very little direct sunlight until the late evening hours. It still get hot but so does the garage in the summer.

The compressor has a swich on it that I leave on and the pressure regulator set at 90 psi. I plug it in to turn it on and and unplug to turn it off. After its off I open the drain through the hole in the ceiling and let it bleed off.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Rmike View Post
The garage is on the northwest corner of our 2 story home. The roof of the garage attic gets very little direct sunlight until the late evening hours. It still get hot but so does the garage in the summer.

The compressor has a swich on it that I leave on and the pressure regulator set at 90 psi. I plug it in to turn it on and and unplug to turn it off. After its off I open the drain through the hole in the ceiling and let it bleed off.
Good deal!
Old 03-21-2009, 05:56 AM   #8

L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
good looking setup man!!! great space saving idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherl View Post
Good deal!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

Nice!

We have an air compressor in our basement routed with PVC piping up to the garage. Best damn thing we ever did!
Wish I had a basement.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #10

L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
You could easily route PVC from your attic and have multiple airstations in your garage.
I mostly use an impact wrench and air up tires. When I start to acquire more air tools for work bench use I'll probably line out the garage with this stuff.

http://www.garage-pak.com/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshest View Post
Nice, looks good
Thanks.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
sdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nice
sdnicker2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I mostly use an impact wrench and air up tires. When I start to acquire more air tools for work bench use I'll probably line out the garage with this stuff.

http://www.garage-pak.com/index.html

Thanks.
FYI
The Menards store in my town sells the plastic fittings like the ones shown on garage-pak.com. They can be used on copper and pvc and maybe more. I used several when I put in my underground sprinklers and they work good. You might be able to save some money if you can find them locally.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
Sprayin' Paint like Its my Job
Choco Taco is on a distinguished road

Choco Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks!

Wish I had a basement.

Wish I had a Garage....
Old 03-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
sdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Me too....A big one...Full of tools and cars and motorcycles and stuff.....
I wish I had a bigger one. With two motorcycles, lawn mower and tools there isn't room for a car. I think my garage was built around a 2 door Geo. LOL
Old 03-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #15

L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnicker2000 View Post
FYI
The Menards store in my town sells the plastic fittings like the ones shown on garage-pak.com. They can be used on copper and pvc and maybe more. I used several when I put in my underground sprinklers and they work good. You might be able to save some money if you can find them locally.
No Menards in the southeast, although there is one near my outlaws in Indiana/Ill. I keep an eye out next time I visit them.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #16
Quote:
No Menards in the southeast, although there is one near my outlaws in Indiana/Ill. I keep an eye out next time I visit them.
I think I might be mistaken. I don't think it can be used on PVC but it can be used on PEX which would be cheaper and easier to use anyway.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #17
dozer711 is a name known to alldozer711 is a name known to alldozer711 is a name known to alldozer711 is a name known to alldozer711 is a name known to alldozer711 is a name known to all

dozer711's Tacoma Gallery
I used 3/4" PVC. Ran it along the ceiling and put "T"'s for drops to 3'-4' off the ground. Then put quick couplers on the ends.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer711 View Post
I used 3/4" PVC. Ran it along the ceiling and put "T"'s for drops to 3'-4' off the ground. Then put quick couplers on the ends.
Yeah this is how I have done it in the past. Way cheaper than buying a bunch of fittings. Glue is cheap (and maybe stronger).