Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

reverse osmosis

Old 03-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
reverse osmosis

has anyone installed one of these systems before? i was reading my instruction guide last night and it was saying something about testing my water preasure. how do you test your sinks water preasure? any advice on installing this thing would be great. thanks
Old 03-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
you can test it using one of these guys

http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-Sprinkle...K8H1AABAW7SBZ1
Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
there is actually a calculator based on having 2 faucets open and how many gallons of water you can fill in a given amount of time... I had to do this when I put in my water softener.

FYI.. My dad had an RO unit forever. I grew up with it. Loved how clean the water tasted (or didn't taste ). I have recently heard that it isnt' good to have one because the water is so clean and free of minerals that it take minerals out of your body that you need. Now I haven't looked into it but I have just heard that.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

sorry that is for flow rate. my book says that if you call your local water department they can tell you what your pressure is for your location.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
There go my nipples again!
Dilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shawn
Dilsky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherl View Post
there is actually a calculator based on having 2 faucets open and how many gallons of water you can fill in a given amount of time... I had to do this when I put in my water softener.

FYI.. My dad had an RO unit forever. I grew up with it. Loved how clean the water tasted (or didn't taste ). I have recently heard that it isnt' good to have one because the water is so clean and free of minerals that it take minerals out of your body that you need. Now I haven't looked into it but I have just heard that.

From what I know this is completly true. Minerals naturally cling to water particles, if they aren't going in with the water they will adsorp them from your body!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherl View Post
sorry that is for flow rate. my book says that if you call your local water department they can tell you what your pressure is for your location.
They might be able to guess, but I wouldn't trust what they tell you. There are a lot of variables in your home plumbing that could affect your water pressure.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
They might be able to guess, but I wouldn't trust what they tell you. There are a lot of variables in your home plumbing that could affect your water pressure.
agreed. I was thinking the same thing as I typed it.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
To get the most accurate reading you would want to put a pressure gauge on your main line into the house, most likely where your hot water tank gets it's water from.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think it should much, unless there are restrictors like in the shower head. The pressure in from the main should be the same as the pressure out of your tap. Where are you going to install the RO filter? At the kitchen sink? You could try and get a pressure reading at the sink? You would probably have to do some plumbing. I only mentioned the hot water tank because they usually have some sort of pipe fittings on them and would be fairly easy to attach a pressure gauge to?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #11
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjay View Post
I don't think it should much, unless there are restrictors like in the shower head. The pressure in from the main should be the same as the pressure out of your tap. Where are you going to install the RO filter? At the kitchen sink? You could try and get a pressure reading at the sink? You would probably have to do some plumbing. I only mentioned the hot water tank because they usually have some sort of pipe fittings on them and would be fairly easy to attach a pressure gauge to?
Fair enuf- didn't really think about where the RO was going...
Old 03-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #12
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i plan on putting it under the kitchen sink. i have one of those fancy facets so hooking one of those gauges up wouldnt be impossible.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #13
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
you can test it using one of these guys

http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-Sprinkle...K8H1AABAW7SBZ1

x2.

If your still not sure call a home inspector. I worked with a home inspection company for a while and thats how we tested water pressure. Expect anywhere between 40-100 psi. Ideally you want 80ish psi water pressure. 60 is fine too though. Anything below sucks and anything about 100 or more can cause really bad problems. I was at a house once that had about 140 psi water pressure and you could hear the pipes shaking inside the walls everytime a sink or hose was turned on.

edit: you can get that part at walmart or any home improvement store such as lowes or homedepot.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
tossed salad anyone?

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. I'll let you know how the install goes. my wife is always saying pay someone to do it. f that i am do it your self kinda guy lol
Old 03-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #15

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
Under your sink there should be a hose connecting a hard (copper) line to your faucet? The fitting on your faucet is probably a standard garden hose fitting, if so you should be able to rig something up from your local plumbing store to get a pressure reading. Tell them what your trying to do, and they should be able to help. Just out of curiosity, why do you need a pressure reading for a RO system? Do they want a certain pressure? Or do they want under a certain pressure, say under 60psi?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I installed mine. It pretty straight forward.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #17
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I installed mine. It pretty straight forward.
+1, Mine was on a well system with no problems so if you have city pressure you should have enough pressure
Old 03-26-2009, 05:46 AM   #18
tossed salad anyone?

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjay View Post
Under your sink there should be a hose connecting a hard (copper) line to your faucet? The fitting on your faucet is probably a standard garden hose fitting, if so you should be able to rig something up from your local plumbing store to get a pressure reading. Tell them what your trying to do, and they should be able to help. Just out of curiosity, why do you need a pressure reading for a RO system? Do they want a certain pressure? Or do they want under a certain pressure, say under 60psi?
well i was reading the instructions and it said to make sure to get a water pressure reading 24 hours before installing. it says it has to be atleast 60 psi and below 100psi. my boss was saying that i am on city water and that i shouldnt have to worry about it. plus we just moved in like 4 months ago and its a brand new house. should have the right water pressure right?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #19

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
It should be fine, when you turn your shower on does it violently pelt you with beads of water? If your worried call your water company, they should be able to tell you what pressure is at the street. If nothing else they will be able to tell you the maximum pressure you will get. Around here city water is 60 psi.