Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

What safety glasses do u wear around the shop?

Old 01-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
What safety glasses do u wear around the shop?

Well I'm fairly new to the auto mechanic industry and I'm thinking of investing in a good pair of safety glasses. I go to school at UTI and I just got a job working in a shop, both of which require me to wear safety glasses... Right now I have the super cheap $5 Home Depot glasses but I'm thinking of upgrading to Oakleys or something comfortable and that will last me a long time. I know there are other good brands out there. So what do u guys wear in the shop?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
Vang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to beholdVang Toua Moua is a splendid one to behold
Name: Vang
Vang Toua Moua's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, ones that protect your eyes and work. Lol. I have dewalt, I like them because it wraps around my face kinda and protects my eyes from dirt that falls down on me while I'm under vehicles, plus I use them while working on my truck and while welding at home. But which ever one fits you best, in the end the all get messed up and scratched.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
Jesus thinks you suck too
Frkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
Frkypunk's Tacoma Gallery
Stick with the ones that keep your eyes intact...I have to wear them at work all the time and as the previous post mentioned...they get destroyed. It's not a fashion statement or comfort thing it's just making sure you go home with both eyes.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replys... This is all true about them getting scratched up, but most of the nice ones have replaceable lenses. I'm thinking of something along these lines... Anyone have any experience with these?
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/wx-chval06.html
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/okt-oo9146-09.html
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bt-40168.html
Old 01-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Check out airgas or other welding supply stores. They have a better variety of fits and designs for safety glasses in the $5-$10 range. I wouldn't spend more than that since they need to be replaced frequently.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:11 AM   #7
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
I wear prescription eye glasses with side shields..As another posted don't waste money on designer safety glasses. Just get something that is comfortable
Old 02-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
I wear Smith optics Hideout's with prescription polycarbonate lenses ordered from medicalsafetyglasses.com service was great, fast shipping. To go against what everyone else is saying if you spend top dollar for glasses you tend to take better care of them, and the don't get scratched up if there on your face where they belong, best $220 I've spent in a while.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #9
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
I work in a machine shop and go to school in a machining program, I made sure my safety glasses were comfortable to me as well as being plenty strong enough. I bought a cheap (as in $30 cheap) pair of roached oakley flak jackets from a friend put new rubber sleeves and nose pieces and bought a set of clear oakley lenses. I wear a pair of flak jackets daily as sunglasses, so I don't notice my safety glasses because of it.

it was by far the best money I have ever spent on safety glasses. I also use them for shooting as well (when I am not wearing sunglasses). The best thing you can do when it comes to safety glasses in my opinion is get ones that are as comfortable as possible and will still protect your eyes
Old 02-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #10
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
Are Oakley's frames impact rated? I went with smith because they are impact rated and stamped with ANSI 787-2 safety rating.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in a Pharma plant, and they are required almost everywhere. I have to have the damn ones with a reading bi-focal lens. Just generic from Grainger. Scratched? throw them out. Not that expensive.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #12
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
I use nemsis safety glasses that I got from a previous job but they sell them at Praxair for $10-$15 ish I think. I got a bunch of clear and tinted pairs from the job so I haven't had to buy any yet, use tinted as sunglasses and safety on bright enough days in the shop
Old 02-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #13
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD 09 View Post
Are Oakley's frames impact rated? I went with smith because they are impact rated and stamped with ANSI 787-2 safety rating.

They aren't stamped as such, but I've seen the videos online as well as what oakley says on their website, they are ANSI rated, from what I saw on some of the videos, they are tougher than the ANSI. The plutonite (I think) lenses are freaking tough as hell and the frames are the same way. I will say that the lenses scratch easier than some, but they don't shatter as a result of being hard enough to be scratch resistant (if that makes sense)
Old 02-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
Ham N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ham N Egger's Tacoma Gallery
I was a safety officer for a large organization before retirement. Our organization frowned on folks bringing in their own PPE to our workplace. Before you spend buku bucks on safety glasses, check with your workplace to see if they allow PPE other than what they provide. OSHA is pretty strict on employers providing PPE.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #15
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Nemisis are great and wore those for a long time. Company provides prescription safety glasses so I now have 2 pair of wiley xs both with transitions. Transitions are shit fyi. I like the wileys though
Old 02-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #16
Tlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant future

Name: Trey
Tlook's Tacoma Gallery
as long as they're ANSI ( i think thats what its called?) certified i dont care
Old 02-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #17
Ravic is on a distinguished road

Name: TP
Ravic's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/1820/=qktusl Part Number 7541T2

These are what I use. I buy them by the case. Super light, and very comfortable. Get a scratch, toss them, get a new pair, and back to work.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham N Egger View Post
I was a safety officer for a large organization before retirement. Our organization frowned on folks bringing in their own PPE to our workplace. Before you spend buku bucks on safety glasses, check with your workplace to see if they allow PPE other than what they provide. OSHA is pretty strict on employers providing PPE.

True enough, but if I'm not required to use the ones provided I'm just gonna keep using my oakleys. There are a few things that OSHA gets it wrong on as well (I can think of one thing off the top of my head having to to with a guard and a wire brush wheel)
Old 02-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #19
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Oakley M frames with yellow lenses.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:38 AM   #20
Senior Injector
Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty Shackleford
Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
I use Edge at work (refinery). The lenses are replaceable and you can twist/stomp/beat the hell out of the frames and they'll remain intact and in its original condition.

http://edgeeyewear.com/site_us/