LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

reel mower

Old 02-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
reel mower

anyone on here use a push reel mower? the house i just bought has a significantly smaller yard than the place i used to rent. i really don't need the gas push mower. i found my grandparents old push reel mower, who knows how old it is. i'd really like to "restore" it. last fall, i tried to push a section of yard at my parents house (they had the mower in their storage) and it cuts beautifully. Its just pretty rough looking, and im sure it could cut better with some sharper blades. any tips on bringing this thing back to life?

i was planning on trying to rust dissolving products and then repainting, but there is some decals on the bottom for the height adjustments. i'd really hate to lose those. i suppose i could paint them back on? i dunno, i'm in no hurry to get this done. i can use my gas push mower until i get this project finished.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Turduckin
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
They do work well and leave a lawn looking perty afterwards. Not a good idea for large lots, but in your case that's a non issue. Sharpen the blades, oil em' up and hit the turf.. PS you can still buy them - pretty cheap. Won't be near the steel/quality of the old school though..
Old 02-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
i was looking into the new ones, newer would be nice but i agree. the quality of this one from...geeze i dont even know...the 50's i'd imagine, has got to be better than the new stuff.

and this one has some sentimental value too. i know, stupid to have sentimental value in a lawnmower. hard to explain, i guess i feel like my pap would be glad to know that i'm still using his old mower. (my grandparents passed away several years ago now)
Old 02-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Jeffas7 is on a distinguished road

Jeffas7's Tacoma Gallery
That mower is classic! I have one similar (although much newer) and love the stupid thing. Just wish it had metal gears as I've already had to replace them twice. Bonus is that I always feel like I've earned my beer after mowin the yard! Good luck with the restoration!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Turduckin
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteisme View Post
i was looking into the new ones, newer would be nice but i agree. the quality of this one from...geeze i dont even know...the 50's i'd imagine, has got to be better than the new stuff.

and this one has some sentimental value too. i know, stupid to have sentimental value in a lawnmower. hard to explain, i guess i feel like my pap would be glad to know that i'm still using his old mower. (my grandparents passed away several years ago now)
I know what ya you're saying. I have an old Deere rider from the 80's. Couldn't let it go. Went through a total restore a while back - with upgrades. Gotta brand new water cooled motor in it now - love the thing. Work horse and can't kill it..
Old 03-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Just make sure you don't let the grass get tall
Old 03-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
na8rboy has a spectacular aura aboutna8rboy has a spectacular aura aboutna8rboy has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Name: Mark
na8rboy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a mid 70's model. Take it to any tool sharping guy/company/lanescaper or golf course.
They use the to cut there fairways, with multi gang units behind tractor. Work at golf course during college.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Any good lawn service co. will tell you that those reel type mowers will give the best/cleanest cut to grass.... rotary mowers just rip grass.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:55 AM   #9
are those blades supposed to be painted at all or does all of that rust just need taken off? i'll def. take them to get sharpened once i start disassembling. i wish i could find a picture of one in good shape for reference