Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Air Compressor for the Garage

Old 04-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
Air Compressor for the Garage

Hey TW,

I am looking into getting an air compressor for my garage. I want something reliable that will allow me to run air tools, like an impact wrench, spray gun, etc. I don't need anything too crazy, but I want something that will get the job done. Sears sells a Craftsman 26 gallon 5.5 hp for around $300 but it doesn't have the best reviews. Would like to keep it in that price range, give or take. Any recommendations?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I think that is what I have. Mine might be 33 gallon. Mine runs everything I have except my die grinder. It runs it, but it is always on to keep up. Looking back I would have got something bigger, but I just use my electric angle grinder more.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
Smoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really nice
Smoke's Tacoma Gallery
Wait for a big one to go on sale. TSC here in Canada was selling a 60 gallon for 349$ a while back. Thats what you'll most likely want.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:45 AM   #4
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is a craftsman probably about 15 years old. Has always performed well. Granted I am not a heavy user but I have no complaints.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:57 AM   #5
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Air tools, spray gun, etc. take allot of cfm. I wouldn't go smaller than a 60 gallon 230v compressor and personally would go big with an 80 gallon two stage compressor which I plan on doing some day.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:48 AM   #6
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
My craftsman 12gal compressor is a pile of shit. Its maybe 5 years old now. Within 2 years with very minimal use the head gaskit had to be replaced. Now it can barely reach 100psi if i let it run forever. Smells like its burning up by bthe time it gets there. current craftsman = junk
Old 04-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #8
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
Whatever you get, make sure it is belt driven. Those direct drive, oilless compressors are stupid loud.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #9
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not too concerned about the loudness. Functionality is what I'm after. I will be using it for rotating my tires, freeing up stubborn bolts, etc with the impact. Down the road I'd like to get a spray gun for painting decoys, jon boats, etc. I'd prefer to get a unit that puts out no less than 5 cfms, but id also like to move it easily if I need to (wheels). Trying to keep it under $400. I've seen several 25-30 gallon compressors that will seemingly fit my needs. I've looked at the Dewalt, Husky, and Craftsman so far, found mixed reviews on all.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #10
vssman will become famous soon enoughvssman will become famous soon enough
vssman's Tacoma Gallery
It's all about CFMs. You need to decide what you'll be using the compressor for. If you plan to use a spray gun, you'll need a bigger compressor. Most HVLP's consume a healthy 10-14 CFM and you want to have a compressor that is bigger so that it isn't running constantly when spraying as you'll get quite a bit of moisture in the air which then requires really good filters. For an impact gun, the size/price point is good enough. Other things to think about are power and mobility. Bigger compressors for a home shop run best off 220V and are stationary. You then have to plumb your area with drops. Keep in mind that noise will be a consideration when it's kicking on and off constantly. I have mine in my unfinished basement so that it's away from the attached garage when I'm out working on the car/truck. It's a 3HP, 220V, 80 gallon very old sears unit - about 40 years old. It puts out 15CFM at 90psi and I have sprayed cars with it with a Deville-Bliss gun that consumes 12.5CFM. I wouldn't consider any smaller compressor that than for my spray gun. Finally, consider Craigslist too.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #11

Good info, thanks for all the replies