1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stihl Weed Trimmers

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Veccster, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Apr 2, 2009 at 12:06 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Do you have one?

What model?

What do you like about it?

Anything I should be aware of when purchasing?

What did you pay?

I am looking at the FS-45. It is probably the most popular model and costs $149.95. I believe Stihl sets the price for their products and they are non-negotiable.

2. Apr 2, 2009 at 12:29 PM
    Slab

Slab Active Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off road double cab
    I don't have a weedeater, but I don't think you can go wrong with Stihl. I've got a Stihl chainsaw. Wouldn't buy another brand given a choice.

3. Apr 2, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    Slab

Slab Active Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off road double cab
    The FS-45 is the top-rated in consumer reports if you go by that stuff.

4. Apr 2, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    I got tired of buying a new weedeater every couple years cause the home owner type you pick up for around a hundred or so crap out and become almost impossible to start and keep running.

Went down to the local saw shop a couple years back and talked to the owner, he set me up with a Stilh FS 80 for about $280

Love it
    It starts when I want to use it without praying to the gardening gods before hand
    Rips the crap out of anything you point it at and never hesitates
    Feels stout like a real tool when you pick it up

I should have bought something like it years ago instead of going to the big box stores and grabbing on sale junk they offer

5. Apr 2, 2009 at 12:39 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I've only owned the curved shaft...is there any advantage to the straight shaft?

Good to know that it is rated high in the Consumer Reports. I do take note of that kind of stuff but also think there is some under the table bribery in that magazine.

The FS-80...that thing would definitely do the job! It would probably chop the tree that I am trying to trim around. I might hurt myself with this model but thanks for the insight.

6. Apr 2, 2009 at 12:42 PM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    I own the Stihl FS-36....it's the curved shaft one. I've had it for about 12 years and it still runs great, no problems except for the spark arestor screen plugging up. I removed it. I paid about $140 for it.

7. Apr 2, 2009 at 1:47 PM
    sdnicker2000

sdnicker2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Mostly Stock 08 TRD Sport
    Rear spring TSB, Fumoto Valve, No A/C on defrost mod., tailgate theft mod.
    I have an FS 46. I had to have the coil replaced under warranty after 3 uses. The rubber fuel line/fuel filter assembly after 1 year which comes to find out it was a faulty one that should have been replaced before it was sold. And it just never has run right after 3 years of ownership. I have replaced plugs, filters, everything and it is still a piece of junk in my eyes. I guess I bought a lemon because I never hear of anyone else having problems. I was much happier with my Eager Beaver for $60.00 from Pamida. So NO I can't recommend a Stihl. (Oh and the carburator on mine is "Non Adjustable". WTF)

8. Apr 2, 2009 at 2:54 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    I looked a Stihl when I wanted an extended articulating hedge trimmer.
    I wanted a 4 stroke and ended up with a Husqvarna(sp) that I can put on a weedeater, hedge trimmer or edger attachment. Actually has a Honda 4 stroke with Husqi labeling.
    I'm just tired of mixing fuel.

9. Apr 2, 2009 at 8:49 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro

Wow...that does suck! I guess any brand can have a lemon in the bunch. I have only heard good things about Stihl so I thank you for the input.

I'm going this weekend to check out the Echo's.

I also want a sold drive with a straight shaft. I'm told to stay away from anything else.

10. Apr 2, 2009 at 8:51 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I used to mow yards for a living and I also work on small engines. Basically, the japanese brand 2 stroke products are best. Personally, I really like Echo, Shindaiwa, and Makita.

11. Apr 3, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    tacomajason

tacomajason the anti mpg

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 ssm ac oc 6mt 4wd
    stock (for now)
    i have to respectfully disagree (although those brands are top notch also). i have a retired fs-80 from my fathers landscape buisness (he sold the buisness around 8 years ago). it's having its carb rebuilt right now, which is the first shred of maintence it's had done since new. while edging, barely any throttle is needed, starts on the first pull, ect ect. it's just a rock solid high quality peice of equipment :thumbsup:

12. Apr 3, 2009 at 9:05 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    They basically all have the exact carburetor these days anyway. I've rebuilt so many of those 2 cycle weedwackers, and the carbs from Echos, Shindaiwas, and Stihls are almost interchangeable. We have a Green Machine from the early 80's ( built by Shindaiwa) that still starts and runs great. Heavy sucker though.

13. Apr 3, 2009 at 9:11 AM
    steelerfan7p

steelerfan7p My other car is a Bugatti

Member:
    First Name:
    Yes
    Fairmont, WV (1 Hour South of the City of Champi
    Vehicle:
    Non-TRD, Non-SR5, Non- Prerunner
    Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Metra IPod Adapter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, I was added to the truck to make it better, so does that count as a Mod?
    I worked for the state road for a summer during college. We weedeated along the roads just about every day all day. The Stihls we used were about 5 years old and ran great for as much as we used them. Very durable machines IMO.

14. Apr 3, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    Bakemono

Bakemono Wrath of the runbird

Member:
    Southern Wisconsin, USA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Toyota Tacoma regular cab 4x2
    Stihl trimmers are OK, but they are known for the recoil breaking. Im partial to Echo and Honda. Ive owned/used both and IMO they are the best.

15. Apr 3, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have 3 Stihl saws and 1 Stihl weedeater. So I'm partial to Stihls. Wish I could give more experience with many trimmers, but this thing won't die.

I'm at work so I can't remember the model right off 'cause I have had the thing for almost 18 years.

Straight shaft(a must!), handlebar grips with shoulder strap(easy on the back), and it has had 2 spark plugs put in it since I bought it new for around $300 I think. Never had another thing done to it, except I bought one of those heads with the 3 nylon blades that chew up everything in sight.

I trim a large country yard and have shown it no mercy on the dam of our pond and in the woods.

I never do anything to the fuel between seasons and it always fires up. Now that I bragged, it will probably blow up..........:eek:

edit: looks like this, but not sure the model of mine exactly..........these are in the professional category on this site>>> http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS250.html
    [​IMG]

16. Apr 15, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I decided on the Stihl FS 55R. I haven't fully put it to the test but it feels solid.

It's less responsive than my cheap Craftsman was. A touch of throttle will rev it up but not spin the head. Too much and the head will begin spinning. I could probably adjust the idle screw to fix that.

Starting is also harder. I figure because of the bigger engine. With the Craftsman, I could hold the loop with one hand and pull start with the other. For now, I have to hold this one on the ground to get a strong pull. Not sure if that will loosen up.

It cost me $199+tax from a local dealer/hardware store - Heplers Hardware in Youngwood, PA.

17. Apr 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    We use Homelite, Toro, and Echo for everything

18. Apr 15, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Every professional I asked said they used Echo. The Echo dealer I spoke to has worked on both and thought the Echo's were better than the Stihl.

No one denied that Stihl is a quality machine. It is capable of far more than I demand and will probably last longer than me - like my Tacoma :D

Anyway, I liked the Stihl better so that's what I chose.

19. Apr 15, 2009 at 8:12 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    We have an Echo Leaf Blower going on 5-6 years now. No problem.

Toro Edger and something else

Homelite Weed Eater

20. Apr 15, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    My mom has been in landscape maintenance for the last....hell, forever?.... and always used Shindaiwa weedeaters and Stihl chainsaws. A few years back an estate she took care of bought a couple Husqvarna weedeaters and she liked how they were a lot lighter and had more power for the size, though they didnt last quite as long. I worked at a local saw shop part time while in High school for 2 years and worked on all the brands. Seemed like many people were switching from Stihl to Husqvarna including the forest service and road department. I got my mom to buy a Husqvarna 324LX trimmer- its powered by a 4 stroke honda engine and is super torquey and quiet, and its also nice that it runs straight gas and not mix. I own a Husqvarna 323L trimmer(about $319) and 335 trimmer (about $429) weedeater now and like them both, the power of the 335 is amazing- it puts out 2.2HP compared to about 1.2HP from the 323 and 324! I've also got a Husqvarna 359 Pro saw w/ a 24" bar. It is a really nice, compact and powerful saw that revs to the moon but they're spendy at $500. They're built with a magnesium case, rather than the plastic cases that the consumer models came with for better durability and strength. It had some carb issues under warranty but nothing since then after about 5yrs of commercial usage.

Oh, and as for the straight shaft vs bent shaft trimmers:
    The bent shaft trimmers use a twisted cord that transmits the power from the motor to the head, whereas the straight shaft trimmers use a hardened steel shaft to transmit the power which is exponentially more durable in the long run.

Products Discussed in

To Top