Notices

Headache Rack/Rooftop Basket Combo

Old 04-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
clarktom6 is on a distinguished road

Navy: SEABEES
Name: Tom
clarktom6's Tacoma Gallery
Headache Rack/Rooftop Basket Combo

I've been designing a headache rack with a rooftop basket attached (not sure if i want to weld rack or bolt it on for removal) and wanted to see if anyone had any input as to design flaws or additions. I plan on putting gussets where the rack and basket meet up. I only plan on using it for a camping gear/ATV riding gear, and a cooler. Curious to see what you all think. Also, plan on doing light tabs near wind deflector.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Headache Rack with Basket.pdf (495.5 KB, 156 views)
Old 04-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #3

Attached wrong file....
Attached Thumbnails
Headache Rack/Rooftop Basket Combo-headache-rack-rooftop-basket.jpg  
Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarktom6 View Post
Attached wrong file....

Same as I saw the first time

Have you considered running a top rail the length of the bed for tie down points ?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Interesting concept
I need extra storage for when i load the ATV and Dirtbike in the bed, so this is what I came up with.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Same as I saw the first time

Have you considered running a top rail the length of the bed for tie down points ?
It would get in the way of the Glidplate, brake and footpeg on my dirtbike. I only have an 1.5" clearance to the bed rail.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Like this

Old 04-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #8
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would add a support here. Those corners will have lots of stress on them.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarktom6 View Post
It would get in the way of the Glidplate, brake and footpeg on my dirtbike. I only have an 1.5" clearance to the bed rail.
Not Sure if you can see the footpeg in that picture
Attached Thumbnails
Headache Rack/Rooftop Basket Combo-20140114_155542.jpg  
Old 04-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #10
XJfella95 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
XJfella95's Tacoma Gallery
looks strong. Your cantilevered transition between the rack and the basket should be strong enough to hold its own weight but for extra measure, i would tie it into the factory roof racks forward most mounting points. this will alleviate any bouncing when you load it up with a cooler.

also, you're showing sq tube from the whole construction. I would opt to use flat bar behind the glass and angle iron in a heel up orientation for the base of the basket to save weight.

just a few things i can see, otherwise its a good design. just heavy.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJfella95 View Post
looks strong. Your cantilevered transition between the rack and the basket should be strong enough to hold its own weight but for extra measure, i would tie it into the factory roof racks forward most mounting points. this will alleviate any bouncing when you load it up with a cooler.

also, you're showing sq tube from the whole construction. I would opt to use flat bar behind the glass and angle iron in a heel up orientation for the base of the basket to save weight.

just a few things i can see, otherwise its a good design. just heavy.
Thanks, I forgot to mention weight reduction in my original post.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreidTaco View Post
I would add a support here. Those corners will have lots of stress on them.
You think this would be enough for the corners?
Attached Thumbnails
Headache Rack/Rooftop Basket Combo-headache-rack-rooftop-basket_supports.jpg  
Old 04-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Like this

My brother has a cheaply made ladder rack for his 1ton Ford LB that is like what you're describing Oz. For something tough to be made with that cross member would be very interesting to me. I also haul dirtbikes, OP, and I bet you could make the crossmember to be removable. Slide it out, load the bike, slide the beam back in. Bolts or quick pins.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch14 View Post
My brother has a cheaply made ladder rack for his 1ton Ford LB that is like what you're describing Oz. For something tough to be made with that cross member would be very interesting to me. I also haul dirtbikes, OP, and I bet you could make the crossmember to be removable. Slide it out, load the bike, slide the beam back in. Bolts or quick pins.
Great idea...wouldn't take much either.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch14 View Post
The rear crossmember in that pic is removeable and nests against the front when not in use , I'll see if I have another pic
Old 04-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
You can see the rear crossmember sits in a pocket and secured by a removeable through pin and cotter , when disconnected it nests inside the front crossmember

Old 04-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #18
avw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
avw4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The roof rack they made on "trucks" was kind of what you're going for. Theirs wobbled more than I would want though, that's going to be kind of tough to get around with the cantilevered design I would think.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #19
LINCOLN45 is a glorious beacon of lightLINCOLN45 is a glorious beacon of lightLINCOLN45 is a glorious beacon of lightLINCOLN45 is a glorious beacon of lightLINCOLN45 is a glorious beacon of light

Navy:
Name: john
LINCOLN45's Tacoma Gallery
so if you used something like the n fab or other roof rack mount to support the basket over the cab