LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Dremel took knock offs

Old 04-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
1 man wolf pack
Hardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Evan
Hardcorehehaw's Tacoma Gallery
Dremel took knock offs

Does anyone own a Dremel knock off, like one of the sets from harbor freight?

I want a Dremel tool but with how infrequently I would use it, I don't see the point in spending the money on the name brand when I can get a cheap harbor freight one for like $10.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94076

Should I spend the extra $40 or save it?
I plan on buying a house soon and will have a lot of tools to buy. That $40 could go a long way considering I don't even own a decent socket set yet. I have one of those cheap ass socket books, lol.
...I know, I know, I'm an embarrassment, but I live in an apartment and since I don't have a garage for projects or tool storage, I just go over to my parents and use their shit, lol.

When it comes time for the big stuff like drills, saws and nail guns I promise I won't skimp on the quality, I'll be purchasing good stuff: Makita, DeWalt, Hitachi, etc...
I did interior metal and exterior wood framing for a total of 5 years so I know all about good power and air tools
Old 04-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Everytime I use a harbor freight tool, it's broken after the second use...

I always pay the $$ for quality tools... so that's what I recommend...
Old 04-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
i have a knock off dremel but its not from harbor freight its from target. the dremel itself is fine, its just the accessories it came with aren't up to par. i just replaced them with tougher stuff, but the dremel itself is coo, always wear goggles !!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
SMSgt / 2W091
El Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: IYAAYAS
Name: Beelzebub
El Diablo's Tacoma Gallery
I use the regular Dremel and official accessories. I have a bed/load divider from Harbor Frieght that I use alot. It is still in good working order.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
dude harbor freight has some cheap stuff. i was just asking someone in my office today this very same question. i think of it like this. 10$ vs 40$ if the 10$ breaks breaks or stops working surely it still has some warrenty(hopefully) but if you have to buy another the two you just bought are still cheaper than the price of the name brand. hmmmmmm. you do get what you pay for.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
1 man wolf pack
Hardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Evan
Hardcorehehaw's Tacoma Gallery
That is very true. But upon closer inspection the harbor freight version is only 1 speed, 16,000 rpm.
The good Dremels range from 6,000 rpm to over 30,000.

Then again how often will I use this?
I plan on doing the Satoshi mod and could probably use this to cut the cross bars and such out. That's the main reason I want it right now.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
djs05tacoma will become famous soon enough

djs05tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I've got one of the harbor freight ones, and the accessories are definately cheap but for $10 I couldn't beat it. Not sure what one your looking at but mine has 3 speeds not sure of RPM's though. I've probably used it 20 times in the 8 months I've owned it and haven't any problems.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
boogie is on a distinguished road
boogie's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the HF special....moderate use..no problems yet. I do use the Dremel bits and such.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcorehehaw View Post
That is very true. But upon closer inspection the harbor freight version is only 1 speed, 16,000 rpm.
The good Dremels range from 6,000 rpm to over 30,000.

Then again how often will I use this?
I plan on doing the Satoshi mod and could probably use this to cut the cross bars and such out. That's the main reason I want it right now.
i work at harbor freight...the tools are crap, minus the hand tools and jacks...dont even waste your hard earned money on it

and thats why im quitting on thursday i hate ripping off people and i hate retail...farm ftw
Old 04-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
I love my cheap one! I can tell its not the greatest, but i use it like 3 or 4 times a year so for the 40 bucks i paid for mine and the 300 accessories, its held up fine.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
Spend the $40 or get a Black and Decker for about $30 the same price. The Harbor Fright one coudn't cut a dang piece of paper. Been there done that.....
Old 04-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #13
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
Harbor freight is hit and miss with me. I have a grinder and a sawzall from there that I have beat to death and they still work great. On the other hand I bought a drill from there and it lasted 10 minutes- I kid you not. I have an actual Dremel tool that's 10 years old. God those are the handiest tools on the planet. Can't tell you how many things I've fixed or done with mine. Worth every penny.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #14
DesmoBob is on a distinguished road

DesmoBob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcorehehaw View Post
but with how infrequently I would use it
Well once you have it, you may quickly discover that suddenly you have a multitude of uses for it you never even knew you had.