1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dremel took knock offs

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Hardcorehehaw, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Apr 3, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    Hardcorehehaw

Hardcorehehaw [OP] 1 man wolf pack

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray PreRunner
    Debadged, 20" Liquid Metal Magmas, Yokohama Parada Spec x 285/50/20, Llumar clear bra, Fold-A-Cover G4, Weathertech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, JBS technologies keyless entry keypad.
    Does anyone own a Dremel knock off, like one of the sets from harbor freight?

I want a Dremel tool but with how infrequently I would use it, I don't see the point in spending the money on the name brand when I can get a cheap harbor freight one for like $10. Should I spend the extra $40 or save it?
    I plan on buying a house soon and will have a lot of tools to buy. That $40 could go a long way considering I don't even own a decent socket set yet. I have one of those cheap ass socket books, lol.
    ...I know, I know, I'm an embarrassment, but I live in an apartment and since I don't have a garage for projects or tool storage, I just go over to my parents and use their shit, lol.

When it comes time for the big stuff like drills, saws and nail guns I promise I won't skimp on the quality, I'll be purchasing good stuff: Makita, DeWalt, Hitachi, etc...
    I did interior metal and exterior wood framing for a total of 5 years so I know all about good power and air tools :D

2. Apr 3, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Everytime I use a harbor freight tool, it's broken after the second use...

I always pay the $$ for quality tools... so that's what I recommend... :thumbsup:

3. Apr 3, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    I have a dremel from harbor freight and it hasn't broken yet, and it's used quite a bit on my dads boats.

4. Apr 3, 2009 at 1:09 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    i have a knock off dremel but its not from harbor freight its from target. the dremel itself is fine, its just the accessories it came with aren't up to par. i just replaced them with tougher stuff, but the dremel itself is coo, always wear goggles !!

5. Apr 3, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    El Diablo

El Diablo SMSgt / 2W091

Member:
    First Name:
    Beelzebub
    TacomaUnderWorld
    Vehicle:
    Your Wife
    I use the regular Dremel and official accessories. I have a bed/load divider from Harbor Frieght that I use alot. It is still in good working order.

6. Apr 3, 2009 at 1:41 PM
    jasonh

jasonh tossed salad anyone?

Member:
    Dallas, TX.
    Vehicle:
    2007 Pre Runner SR5
    Billy 5100's
    dude harbor freight has some cheap stuff. i was just asking someone in my office today this very same question. i think of it like this. 10$ vs 40$ if the 10$ breaks breaks or stops working surely it still has some warrenty(hopefully) but if you have to buy another the two you just bought are still cheaper than the price of the name brand. hmmmmmm. you do get what you pay for.

7. Apr 3, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    Hardcorehehaw

Hardcorehehaw [OP] 1 man wolf pack

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray PreRunner
    Debadged, 20" Liquid Metal Magmas, Yokohama Parada Spec x 285/50/20, Llumar clear bra, Fold-A-Cover G4, Weathertech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, JBS technologies keyless entry keypad.
    That is very true. But upon closer inspection the harbor freight version is only 1 speed, 16,000 rpm.
    The good Dremels range from 6,000 rpm to over 30,000.

Then again how often will I use this?
    I plan on doing the Satoshi mod and could probably use this to cut the cross bars and such out. That's the main reason I want it right now.

8. Apr 3, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    djs05tacoma

djs05tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab TRD offroad 4x4
    3" OME Lift, 285's
    I've got one of the harbor freight ones, and the accessories are definately cheap but for $10 I couldn't beat it. Not sure what one your looking at but mine has 3 speeds not sure of RPM's though. I've probably used it 20 times in the 8 months I've owned it and haven't any problems.

9. Apr 3, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    boogie

boogie Well-Known Member

Member:
    south florida
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD Sport 2WD 6" Fabtec 951 Moto Metals
    bull bar, lift, rims ,tires,TRD floor mats,led interior bulbs, color matched bed cap
    I've got the HF special....moderate use..no problems yet. I do use the Dremel bits and such.

10. Apr 20, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    i work at harbor freight...the tools are crap, minus the hand tools and jacks...dont even waste your hard earned money on it

and thats why im quitting on thursday i hate ripping off people and i hate retail...farm ftw

11. Apr 20, 2009 at 9:03 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    I love my cheap one! I can tell its not the greatest, but i use it like 3 or 4 times a year so for the 40 bucks i paid for mine and the 300 accessories, its held up fine.

12. Apr 20, 2009 at 9:06 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    Spend the $40 or get a Black and Decker for about $30 the same price. The Harbor Fright one coudn't cut a dang piece of paper. Been there done that.....

13. Apr 20, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    Harbor freight is hit and miss with me. I have a grinder and a sawzall from there that I have beat to death and they still work great. On the other hand I bought a drill from there and it lasted 10 minutes- I kid you not. I have an actual Dremel tool that's 10 years old. God those are the handiest tools on the planet. Can't tell you how many things I've fixed or done with mine. Worth every penny.

14. Apr 20, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    DesmoBob

DesmoBob Active Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Well once you have it, you may quickly discover that suddenly you have a multitude of uses for it you never even knew you had. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top