Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Why do we not have those self service auto shops like they have on military bases?

Old 04-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #21
Dragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Dragons Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Why do we not have those self service auto shops like they have on military b...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarthog View Post
BTW, I have an open thread on the build page that will give members the choice to build my truck, given each option one by one. Right now the poll is bull bar vs avid offroad lightbar ...

Hah! Given the topic, I read that you would give peeps a place to build YOUR truck!

There was a self service place in Durham NC, first lawsuit and they were done, or so I heard. Their advertisements and web site were still around last I checked, but the place gone.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #22
Quebeker
elclem21 is a jewel in the roughelclem21 is a jewel in the roughelclem21 is a jewel in the rough

Canadian Army:
Name: Clément
elclem21's Tacoma Gallery
We are no different in Canada. Some (and only some) of the military bases have a military Car Club. Otherwise, outside the fences, there is not so much places I know. In fact I am only aware of 1 place in Québec city where you can rent a bay. It used to cost me $15 an hour maybe 10 years ago, free tool rental, etc.

The only reason why there is not so much such places outside the military bases is because of the insurance coverage. It cost a lot to the owner to let anybody walk in and do their own work. Exposure to potential serious injuries is slightly increased compared to a professional workshop. Not every owners are willing to assume such risks.

As for the military clubs, the fact that it is restricted to the military community helps to narrow down who can use the facility. We also have to sign a waiver of responsibility, attesting that we understand and accept the risks associated with the use of tools and equipment.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
TheWarthog is on a distinguished road

Army: Convoy Security, veteran
Name: Justin
TheWarthog's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Dragons Taco;8575160]Hah! Given the topic, I read that you would give peeps a place to build YOUR truck!

Didn't think of it that way. I just want help making the tough decisions on parts. No better place to ask for votes.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #24
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarthog View Post
BTW, I have an open thread on the build page that will give members the choice to build my truck, given each option one by one. Right now the poll is bull bar vs avid offroad lightbar with trd skid plate. Please vote!

Link:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-my-truck.html
Doesn't work. The url is bad.