Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Why do we not have those self service auto shops like they have on military bases?

Old 04-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
TheWarthog is on a distinguished road

Army: Convoy Security, veteran
Name: Justin
TheWarthog's Tacoma Gallery
Question Why do we not have those self service auto shops like they have on military bases?

I'm an Army vet. At Fort Campbell, KY they had an 8 bay garage with lifts and tool rentals. It was $10 an hour to rent a bay, basic tools included, special tools you had to simply sign out. Why is there nothing like this available in civilian market? I would pay $20 an hour to have something like that. I installed lowering springs on an RX8 by myself, using only the tools they had there. It was amazing. You could lift your car above your head and change your oil.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Sacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Sacrifice's Tacoma Gallery
There is a place like that here in kc.

diyautorepairkc.com

But I don't know of anywhere else there is one
Old 04-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Probably for liability purposes. I can say I've never heard of it (I'm not military) but it would be cool, other than, then I think of how many dumb asses there are out there. Today's society it would be too big of a risk to be the shop owner, people are too sue happy.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and then with places like AutoZone doing free tool rentals, other than a lift, my garage becomes quite suitable for most all of my needs.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
schaueelab is on a distinguished road

schaueelab's Tacoma Gallery
we have one here in Salt Lake city as well!!
Old 04-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Probably for liability purposes. I can say I've never heard of it (I'm not military) but it would be cool, other than, then I think of how many dumb asses there are out there. Today's society it would be too big of a risk to be the shop owner, people are too sue happy.

Easy fix, mandatory class on using lifts and workshop safety, and a no sue contract. You would probably have to put down a credit card but still. I miss those garages.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarthog View Post
I'm an Army vet. At Fort Campbell, KY they had an 8 bay garage with lifts and tool rentals. It was $10 an hour to rent a bay, basic tools included, special tools you had to simply sign out. Why is there nothing like this available in civilian market? I would pay $20 an hour to have something like that. I installed lowering springs on an RX8 by myself, using only the tools they had there. It was amazing. You could lift your car above your head and change your oil.
Yea. Like in the movie "Christine".
Old 04-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
Scenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud ofScenekyd has much to be proud of

Name: Jay
Scenekyd's Tacoma Gallery
I wish we had one here
Old 04-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacrifice View Post
There is a place like that here in kc.

diyautorepairkc.com

But I don't know of anywhere else there is one
+1 for you on this. Did not know this existed, but I'm going to use it if I ever get a lift list together.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #11
Sacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Sacrifice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
+1 for you on this. Did not know this existed, but I'm going to use it if I ever get a lift list together.
Here's the costs in case anyone was curious:

Lift, Tools & Bay Rental by the HOUR!!!

Open Bays.........$10/hr - $75/day

Midrise Lifts.......$15/hr - $100/day

2 Post Lifts........$20/hr - $150/day

Weekly & Monthly Rates Available
Old 04-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
Yea. Like in the movie "Christine".
I have never seen that movie so I have no idea what you are talking about. Elaborate please.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #13
velillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to all
Name: Nick
velillen's Tacoma Gallery
I've been a bit suprosed there aren't more either. But as mentioned could be a liability thing or worried people would misuse tools or tolls would walk off. But seems like you could have a single attendant to keep track of everything. Seems like it would be popular once word got around since see people looking for garage space and tools
Old 04-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #14
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
As stated before, probably the liability thing.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #15

In the military garages, the tools are all on a sign out basis, minus a very basic wrench set. They inspect your toolbox before you check out. Basic pneumatic tools are free. Certain bigger specialty tools were a small cost. I'm sure you would have your money back for tools within 6 months. Most of the lifts were frame lifts that would take the vehicle up to 7'. Some lifts lifted the wheels, those were mainly used for exhausts and oil changes. I miss walking underneath my vehicle to change the oil Perks of being active duty.

If they already exist, then it can't be that much of an issue for liability.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #16
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing that I've found close to what you're looking for is the auto shop at my college.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #17

BTW, I have an open thread on the build page that will give members the choice to build my truck, given each option one by one. Right now the poll is bull bar vs avid offroad lightbar with trd skid plate. Please vote!

Link:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-my-truck.html
Old 04-27-2014, 03:55 AM   #18
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarthog View Post
I have never seen that movie so I have no idea what you are talking about. Elaborate please.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085333/
Old 04-27-2014, 04:36 AM   #20
Wombat
romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Mechanic/Security
Name: Luis
romeo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
They had one outside of Ft. Stewart in Georgia, had to go through a mandatory class and sign a liability waiver for any accidents/damage that were caused because of you. You could bring your own tools or sign them out, there was no charge for tools only for the bay/lift you were using.