Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Started building a work bench tonight

Old 05-31-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
HolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shed

HolyHandGrenade's Tacoma Gallery
Started building a work bench tonight

Here's what I has for a work bench before. It's just two old tables that I found in the basement when we bought the house. They are different heights and widths, and are not heavy or bolted down. Thus, they are awkward and wobbly.

So, I moved them and started building a new one 8' wide x 26" deep

I started by screwing an 8' 2x4 to the studs in the wall.

Then, since I wanted this bench to be rock solid, I screwed a second 2x4 though the first and right into the studs as well.

Next, back legs just to make sure it's not going anywhere.

Since I didn't want to loose my drawers, I made the new bench so the old would fit underneath. The old bench was too low and sitting on blocks, so it was perfect once it was sitting on the ground.

Then, I shot some nails through 2x4's into the concrete to work as platforms to attach the front legs to the floor. After that, I made front legs and another set of 8' 2x4's to go across the front.

Once the font legs and cross pieces were installed, I added the 26" 2x4's the the top of the bench 6" on center.

On the right side I added an extra 2x4 as a place to mount a big vice.

This thing is rock solid. You can't budge it. I know a lot of it is overkill, but that's what I was going for...

Tomorrow morning I'm going to put a 3/4" plywood top on and put a shelf on the empty side. After that, I guess I'll have to get back to working on the house...
Old 06-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
HolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyHandGrenade is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Alright, I finished up the bench this morning.

I screwed the top to every 2x4 across the top.

Built a shelf on the empty side.

Trimmed the gap in the front, Mounted the new vice and I thought I was done...

It just didn't look right, so I added a backstop. And, since I had some 3/4" left over from the top I made side panels for mounting tools and such.

So, for around $100 here it is all done and loaded up. That's without the vice of course.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin' Good!
Old 06-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great!! I bet its super sturdy too!!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #6

Thanks guys. It is sturdy, that's for sure!

I even did my first project on it tonight. It's really nice to finally have a usable bench...

I just threw this together out of scraps real quick:

Old 06-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
Gotta love a good workbench.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
is that a defrillbilutor kit there on the wall?
Old 06-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
is that a defrillbilutor kit there on the wall?
Ha! You're the fist person to pick it out. Its just the case. I use it as a cabinet.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyHandGrenade View Post
Ha! You're the fist person to pick it out. Its just the case. I use it as a cabinet.
I kind of thought maybe you were just using it as a case but I had to ask..
Old 06-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
I kind of thought maybe you were just using it as a case but I had to ask..
Here it is inside. I thought it was the perfect place for safety equipment.

The best part is that the alarm still works. It's a good laugh to turn it on and ask someone to get me my ear muffs!