Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Whole-House Surge Protection.. Thoughts, Experiences?

Old 06-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Whole-House Surge Protection.. Thoughts, Experiences?

...something i'm looking into... it seems that threre are two roads to go down for residential; (a) the simplest (and cheapest), a unit mounted at the service panel, and (b) multiple units, one at the service panel, one on incoming coax and phone lines, and one at the outdoor hvac disconnect...

..curious is anyone has any advice on how far to go w/ this, ...how much is too much to spend, etc...
Old 06-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
I mounted a unit in my service panel several years ago. Guess I don't know if it helped, but I have had no problems since. My UPS (uninterruptible power supply), with its internal surge protector, saved my phone and computer once when lightning struck the phone line. As I recall, the service panel unit cost around $200.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
...i'm definitely interested in a unit at the panel... that should provide basic protection for everything in the house, especially large appliances like the furnace, refrigerator, washer, etc... it seems that they make separate units that get installed at the outside fuse disconnect for the HVAC outdoor unit... i'm getting the impression I need both devices (at panel and at HVAC disconnect) for complete protection?..?..?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I have one in my main breaker panel
Old 06-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #5

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I have one in my main breaker panel
...then, I assume you will attest to it being a good investment?... do you install a lot of these in the new homes you're building?...
Old 06-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
...then, I assume you will attest to it being a good investment?... do you install a lot of these in the new homes you're building?...

Yes , and yes
Old 06-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #7

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes , and yes
...got any preferences on brand/model, from your experience?... install any of these systems? http://www.surgeassure.com/
Old 06-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #8

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
...got any preferences on brand/model, from your experience?... install any of these systems? http://www.surgeassure.com/

My electrician uses SquareD products
Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #9

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My electrician uses SquareD products
thanks, OZ-T!