Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

What Measurement for Torque Wrench?

Old 06-16-2014, 01:49 AM   #1
Wheeler in Training
Speedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zane
Speedytech7's Tacoma Gallery
What Measurement for Torque Wrench?

Hello Everyone,
I have decided that I need a torque wrench for working on my Taco and noticed that there are two Craftsman models in my price range. One measures in Inch Pounds (25-250 In lbs.) and the other measures in Foot Pounds (10-75 Ft lbs.). By my calculation the In lbs. model can go from 2.8-20.8 Ft lbs. I need to know what would be better for working on the Taco? Thanks!

Here is the In lbs. model:
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-m...3&blockType=G3

Here is the Ft lbs. model:
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-m...2&blockType=G2
Old 06-16-2014, 02:59 AM   #2
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
You won't need the inch/pound wrench unless you plan on rebuilding transmissions. If memory serves me, I think you might use the small one for differential work as well.

What I want to know, is why you are looking at 3/8 drive wrenches? 1/2 drive is more common for wheel nuts and suspension bolts.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:11 AM   #3
00yotasr5 is on a distinguished road

Name: lee
00yotasr5's Tacoma Gallery
Ft. Lbs is what u would need. in. Lbs are for smaller bolts like on valve cover example. Also 1/2 in. In the ft. Lbs
Old 06-16-2014, 03:15 AM   #4
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
Zane, definently go with the ft/lb. model first, though as Kirk stated, go up to a 1/2" model, preferably with a slightly higher range which can be had for the same cost. This will be more useful for general automotive need. I do have an in/lb. model also which I used when installing the tacos roof rack, though it's more suited for lawn eqpt, bicycles....
Consider Tekton wrenches- great tools in the price range of those you mentioned. Hope this helps
Old 06-16-2014, 03:27 AM   #5
Wheeler in Training
Speedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedytech7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zane
Speedytech7's Tacoma Gallery
I'm definately going to have a look at that Tekton brand, the only reason I chose 3/8 is because all of my sockets are 3/8. But they are cheapo sockets (haven't broken one yet) so maybe it is worth it to just buy all new sockets, ratchets and a torque wrench in 1/2 size instead. Any suggestions for good sockets as well?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:44 AM   #6
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedytech7 View Post
I'm definately going to have a look at that Tekton brand, the only reason I chose 3/8 is because all of my sockets are 3/8. But they are cheapo sockets (haven't broken one yet) so maybe it is worth it to just buy all new sockets, ratchets and a torque wrench in 1/2 size instead. Any suggestions for good sockets as well?
In that case, I'd still go w/ the 1/2" wrench, then consider Tektons impact-grade adapter set (#4957), less than $10 at Amazon, via prime, which has virtually every adapter/reducer you'll need
Old 06-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
That is a pretty light foot lbs wrench. Too light to check lugnuts. Which IMHO is what really needs a TOrque wrench the most often.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
ditto what sofiasdad11 said, ...the 1/2" wrench graduated in ft-lbs would better facilitate general duties including most car/truck tasks... I use my 1/2" wrench graduated in ft-lbs to tighten the oil pan drain bolt on my Tacoma.. ... get the 1/2" to 3/8" adapter and you can use your sockets...