Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Sliding glass to French door upgrade

Old 06-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery

Curious as to how hard it is to upgrade sliding glass doors to french patio doors. I have measured them out and got the replacement and was wondering how hard is it to replace one for the other? Is this something that anyone can do or is it best left to the pro's. Any insight would be great.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery

Usually the rough opening for a french door is bigger than for a slider

depending on swing
Old 06-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meatman's Tacoma Gallery
The opening is 72 x 80 for the sliding door and the recommended opening for the french door. btw it is a left hand inswing door
Old 06-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
crazy joker is a jewel in the roughcrazy joker is a jewel in the roughcrazy joker is a jewel in the roughcrazy joker is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jesse
crazy joker's Tacoma Gallery
I would say as long as the rough opening is the same, anyone that is somewhat handy should be able to do this. Read the instructions carefully, so you don't end up with water leaks and so the door operates smoothly. It will get a little more difficult if the wall is a different thickness than the new door jam though.
Good luck!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatman View Post
The opening is 72 x 80 for the sliding door and the recommended opening for the french door. btw it is a left hand inswing door

Inswing double 3' french door with an astragal should have a rough opening of 76" x 83"

What size is your door unit ?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
I deal with dead animals

meatman's Tacoma Gallery
this is what i got to replace the slidding doors.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_290270-44176...7C1&facetInfo=
Old 06-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #7

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatman View Post
this is what i got to replace the slidding doors.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_290270-44176...7C1&facetInfo=

Interesting , looks like it's reduced in size to fit the slider RO as you described
Old 06-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
I deal with dead animals

meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Interesting , looks like it's reduced in size to fit the slider RO as you described
that's why i went with it. what should i expect in the replacement of the old door. Also what should i get for the instillation.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #9

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Is the slider metal , wood , vinyl ?
Old 06-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #10
I deal with dead animals

meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Metal slider
Old 06-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
So it most likely has a nailing flange , this flange is nailed to the wall sheathing and then the siding or trim laps over it .

You will have to remove any exterior trims and possibly cut back the siding to remove the slider in that case
Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #12
I deal with dead animals

meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So it most likely has a nailing flange , this flange is nailed to the wall sheathing and then the siding or trim laps over it .

You will have to remove any exterior trims and possibly cut back the siding to remove the slider in that case
This project is starting to sound like its more than i can handle correctly and a big "i told you so" from the wife.. I think i will let someone who does this for a living handle it.
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #13
crazy joker is a jewel in the roughcrazy joker is a jewel in the roughcrazy joker is a jewel in the roughcrazy joker is a jewel in the rough

I don't know your skill level, but I still think you should read up on the instructions before giving up. Homeowners change doors and windows out all the time.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:38 PM   #14
I deal with dead animals

meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy joker View Post
I don't know your skill level, but I still think you should read up on the instructions before giving up. Homeowners change doors and windows out all the time.
I have replaced several doors before (front,basement) but they were replaced with the same kind. I have not given up and are watching some videos but it looks like 2 people would be alot easier. Also i have got a few friends that are builders by trade and could swap out some of their help for deer processing
Old 07-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
I deal with dead animals

meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Contacted a contractor friend of mine and with his help we (or he) got the door replaced. I'm glad i left it to the pro's because he had to deal with some 20 yr old issues.. happy wife, happy life

Before:

And after:

Best of all we traded out deer processing for his time.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #17

Awesome! Looks great
Old 07-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #18
I deal with dead animals

meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy joker View Post
Awesome! Looks great
Thanks guy's. As long as the wife is happy then i will be happy.
Next up is new flooring