Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install

Old 08-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install

I finally got around to adding a finishing touch to my new garage.

Built from Azek, so I'll never have to paint it.
Attached Thumbnails
My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8060118.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8060120.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8060124.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8060121.jpg  
Old 08-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

More shots....
Attached Thumbnails
My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8060122.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8070125.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8110128.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8110129.jpg  
Old 08-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #4

Thanks Pete.

More...
Old 08-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #5

Attached Thumbnails
My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230130.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230131.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230132.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230133.jpg  
Old 08-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #6

More...
Attached Thumbnails
My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230134.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230136.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230138.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230139.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230140.jpg  

Old 08-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #7

Now the window sash and crown moulding install...
Attached Thumbnails
My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230141.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230143.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230144.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230145.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230146.jpg  

Old 08-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #8

Attached Thumbnails
My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230147.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230149.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230150.jpg   My Lighted Copper Roof Cupola Build And Install-p8230151.jpg  
Old 08-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #10

Thanks. The only thing I really sucked hard at was the soldering of the copper roof. I've seen way neater jobs.

I doesn't look pretty, but it keeps water out.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #11
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
That looks really good Mike! Excellent job!

Does the sash have any kind of sealant to prevent water intrusion around the glass?
Old 08-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
Will this eventually turn green? I love that green patina that copper gets. An added bonus is the leaching out copper keeps moss from growing in your shingles.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #13
vssman will become famous soon enoughvssman will become famous soon enough
vssman's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice work!
Old 08-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
That looks really good Mike! Excellent job!

Does the sash have any kind of sealant to prevent water intrusion around the glass?
Thanks guys.

Not around the glass to the Azek sash frame. The channel the pane sits in will allow any water between to weep out to the sides of the sash and onto the sill (it's at each side of the frames, not shown here).

I'm guessing it will turn green in 20 years... it will be a brownish color in about a year or so.

I never knew moss won't grow from the copper 'run-off' to the shingles, good to know.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #15

I had fun doing this, but there was a huge amount of cursing when time came for the roof to be soldered.

As for the roofing guys that work with copper, I now have a much higher regard for them and the fine, high-end work they do.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #16
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice. Congrats on a job well done!
Old 08-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #17
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by File IFR View Post

I'm guessing it will turn green in 20 years... it will be a brownish color in about a year or so.

I never knew moss won't grow from the copper 'run-off' to the shingles, good to know.
I read something not long ago about how you could run copper wiring and secure it across your roof if you have moss problems. As the water runs across it on the way down the roof it coats the roof so the moss won't grow.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #18
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
That works, but looks bad. The wire sags in between the fasteners.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #19
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Zinc moss strips fastened under the ridge cap work
Old 08-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #20
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by File IFR View Post
We put a copper standing seam roof on the turret of a house I recently built and the copper went from shiny like yours to dull brown in about a year , as you say , most likely green in about 10-15 years but there are products you can get that accelerate the patina process