Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Garage lifts?

Old 04-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
cntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
Garage lifts?

Anybody ever had/used one of these? I'm curious about how stable they are, what you have to do to secure them to the floor, do you have to have special footings poured to support the weight?

http://www.americanautomotiveequipme...FRLoxgod0G-RGA
Old 04-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
i know nothing about these lifts, but make sure you pour enough concrete under the posts.im not sure what the thickness should be. i assume every city/town/state has their own code.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
looks like the ones i used at auto shops as long as they are installed properly and the car or truck is on the lift properly then you should be ok
Old 04-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
bryce71780 is on a distinguished road
bryce71780's Tacoma Gallery
we have a 10,000 lb 2 post lift in our shop at the farm. we also installed it ourselves. we poured the concrete 6 inches deep and used standard anchors. fairly easy to install, but you will need some scaffolding, a backhoe came in real handy but you may not be able to get it in your shop,( we have 16 foot ceiling. As far as stability goes, alot of it depends on the vehicle. the tacoma is pretty stable best vehicle we have had on it was a canyon, it was super solid. I would'nt worry too much about a vehicle falling off. As long as you use a little common sense you will be fine. If yodo get a lift you will find yourself doing alot more maintanence than you normally do, just because it is SO much easier. I changed the belt out on my tacoma from the bottom last week. dropped skid plate and there it was made it a 5 min job. it was the best investment we made when we built the new shop for sure.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
cntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce71780 View Post
we have a 10,000 lb 2 post lift in our shop at the farm. we also installed it ourselves. we poured the concrete 6 inches deep and used standard anchors. fairly easy to install, but you will need some scaffolding, a backhoe came in real handy but you may not be able to get it in your shop,( we have 16 foot ceiling. As far as stability goes, alot of it depends on the vehicle. the tacoma is pretty stable best vehicle we have had on it was a canyon, it was super solid. I would'nt worry too much about a vehicle falling off. As long as you use a little common sense you will be fine. If yodo get a lift you will find yourself doing alot more maintanence than you normally do, just because it is SO much easier. I changed the belt out on my tacoma from the bottom last week. dropped skid plate and there it was made it a 5 min job. it was the best investment we made when we built the new shop for sure.
That's what I was looking for! When you say standard anchors, do you mean some type of bolt drilled into the concrete or having an anchor (bolt or rebar) placed in the concrete while it's still wet? Plus we only have 12' ceilings.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
bryce71780 is on a distinguished road
bryce71780's Tacoma Gallery
just drilled holes and beat the anchors in. the lift has to be exactly level. that is really important. It will come with shims that make it pretty easy. not a bad idea to have some various thickness washers handy just in case. we set one post then did the other. measured from a wall so it would be as square as we could get it. Pull the trigger on it you won't regret it.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
Forthedogs is on a distinguished road

Forthedogs's Tacoma Gallery
the company has been around awhile. Bend-Pak is fine for home use but it is not the same as Rotary lift. That's top of the heap stuff. Wiring and stuff comes in to play with a above ground type like these. If you do go this route look at the ones that are asymmetrical. Two of the arms will be long The other two short. This way you will be able to position the vehicle on the lift and still get the doors open without the posts in the way for example. You would be able to roll the vehicle in forwards or backwards to have the best access or even just swap the arms front to back.

If your intended use is just for futtsing around on the weekends you might want to look at the portable scissors lifts they have on the web site. Portable on wheels with the pump on a roll around cart. When you are done at the end of the day you can roll it over to the wall, lift it up on it's side and lock it down with strong bungies or RokStraps so it won't fall over.

And yeah every "Man Shack" is not complete until it has a lift of some kind in it.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
what ever you decide for a lift, once you get it installed just wait and see how many "friends" you make..lol