Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Any fluid power experts want to help me design a wood mauler?

Old 09-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
berk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shed
berk's Tacoma Gallery
Any fluid power experts want to help me design a wood mauler?

I have a diesel source of 2500psi@8gpm and I want to build a kickass stationary splitter. Multi wedge if possible and 2 speed if possible. I don't know much about fancy valving and the like.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: Canadain bumber technician
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
I will take a stab at it if nobody else jumps in .
These wood splitters can get pricey and heavy .
Not sure how powerfull you plan to make the splitter ,but 2500 @ 8gpm is on the low side .
Do you know the pump ratings ? it would be great if you could boost to 3000 and somewhere around 20-30 gpm .
All depends on your cylinder size . Most guys use cylinders from an old loader or back-hoe with a rating around 30 - 50 tonnes
Old 09-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #3
berk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shedberk is one of the sharper tools in the shed
berk's Tacoma Gallery
The pump is a gear type possibly rated 10gpm can't remember. The pto is on my crane truck but there's no tach so I don't know exact rpms and no gauge so pressure also unknown. I don't want a sissy setup so need good power, but also speed of course. From what I can tell it seems a 4" cyl would give decent performance but a 5" might be the real power system, but slow, so my hope was some fancy valving might make up the difference in speed. I read there is a way to route the fluid on the retracting side to the pushing side to speed it up.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
berk's Tacoma Gallery
Or maybe an accumulator? Seems like a good application for an accumulator since there is always some amount of down time while wood is wrestled in and out of the machine. A 20"x5" bore contains about 1.7 gallons of fluid, so a 8gpm setup would stroke the cyl in 13 seconds, a little slow, but how about with a 5 gallon accumulator?

By comparison a 4"x20" cyl would have 1.1 gallons oil and would stroke in 8.2 seconds. Still slow.

I'd really like to get the full stroke in 3 seconds.