1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for intro help for powering lights/equipment

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by st101, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Sep 30, 2014 at 10:51 PM
    st101

st101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hello all,

Was wondering if I can get a quick nudge in the right direction on expansion/modification of the electrical system in the vehicle so I can provide power to lights, a computer, cameras, etc. If there is a good sticky or tutorial thread somewhere, please link me over! I have a 2014 DCSB TRD Sport.

Have tried making a few searches on the forum but I can't find much aside from 'show off your distribution box!' threads.

Elsewhere on the web I've seen people adding 2nd batteries, new distribution/relay boxes, using add-a-fuse on the existing in-cab fuse box, or just wiring straight up to the battery. Which is the right solution for which application?

Should light bars with fairly large current-draws be hooked up direct to the battery?

At what point are mechanical relays appropriate?

How can I provide power to items without having to turn the key to accessory mode or ignition? Subsequently, how can I prevent leaching of the battery for those items over night?

At what point does it become "too much" for the battery? Some of the overland folks have a winch, air compressor, refrigerator, and a boatload of lights (obviously not all running at the same time) -- what kind of power distribution system are they likely to be using?

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance!

2. Sep 30, 2014 at 10:59 PM
    1993t100

1993t100 I’m good looking and I drive a Jeep.

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Sexy
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    12v system basics: don't overload wires, positive to positive, negative to negative (ground). Your entire chassis is a ground. Use relays when necessary. Fuse everything.

Bam, you can wire anything now.

3. Oct 1, 2014 at 7:20 AM
    st101

st101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks, but I don't know that I'm out of the woods yet...

I understand some things are common sense -- I'm OK on selecting the right gauge wire and grounding, but how much additional load can a battery take before other systems within the vehicle begin to suffer?

For relays, how do you define "when necessary"?

When do I use solid wire and when do I use stranded wire?

Does everything get a fuse or only the beefier items?

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top