Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

How to prep a house for sitting vacant?

Old 10-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
Flowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Flowin's Tacoma Gallery
How to prep a house for sitting vacant?

I'm moving to NC on Friday. House will sit vacant until it sells.

Some info upfront:

It's an end unit townhouse; build in 2010 so fairly new appliances. Gasheat, range, dryer and water heater.

Here’s my plan:

- Set thermostat to 62 degrees to keep the pipes from freezing (if it has to sit over the winter) and to make sure it’s still an OK temp to show the house
- Turn off the main water supply, there’s a lever in the utility room.
- Turn off (gas) water heater
- Open blinds so light can come in and put air freshener in the rooms so it doesn’t smell since nobody is letting fresh air in

The rest I think I will leave as is!?

Is there anything I may have missed? Should or shouldn’t do?
Old 10-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Arrange to have the mail/paper picked up so it doesn't look like the house has been vacant.

If you have a neighbor you can trust, let them know the house is going to be vacant. Hopefully they will call you or the police if people start showing up.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
loosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedloosnut is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: jerry
loosnut's Tacoma Gallery
put drier sheets in cabinets and closets dressers whatever,keeps mice out.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
Stupid should be painful!
W Bishop is on a distinguished road
Name: Stone
W Bishop's Tacoma Gallery
I would add some antifreeze to the p-traps and the toilet just in case the power went off. I would find the main cut off for the water and turn it off there instead in the unit. That way if a problem does happen with a freeze they will no water in the unit at all.

I figure if he is moving he will have no paper or mail running. ??????
Old 10-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
G8keepr is on a distinguished road
Name: Rich
G8keepr's Tacoma Gallery
Drain the pipes and you should be able to turn heat down even more. Very easy process. Paying for heat when your not in the house sucks!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't matter how much you prepare.... I would highly recommend having someone visit the home/inside periodically, just in case.

Talk to your realtor.... they'll know what things you should or shouldn't do while a house sits. They can even help 'watch' it for you. Afterall, they're supposed to help you sell it.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
Willie B has a brilliant futureWillie B has a brilliant futureWillie B has a brilliant futureWillie B has a brilliant futureWillie B has a brilliant futureWillie B has a brilliant futureWillie B has a brilliant futureWillie B has a brilliant futureWillie B has a brilliant futureWillie B has a brilliant futureWillie B has a brilliant future
Navy: ET comm, Hawaii, PI, Antarctica
Name: Brad
Willie B's Tacoma Gallery
Cover the toilet bowl with cellophane wrap. It keeps the water in the bowl from evaporating and sewer gas coming out.

If you put antifreeze in the toilet bowl, don't use the yellow stuff!!! There is RV antifreeze that is good for this that is pink.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
Flowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Flowin's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies, I will pay my dog walker to check the remaining mail and house once a week...it's $10 a week..don't think that's too bad (I changed most addresses and did the mail forwarding thing starting tomorrow...)

Hope it sells by the end if the year...
Old 10-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #10
SpoilsofWar has a brilliant futureSpoilsofWar has a brilliant futureSpoilsofWar has a brilliant futureSpoilsofWar has a brilliant futureSpoilsofWar has a brilliant futureSpoilsofWar has a brilliant futureSpoilsofWar has a brilliant futureSpoilsofWar has a brilliant futureSpoilsofWar has a brilliant futureSpoilsofWar has a brilliant futureSpoilsofWar has a brilliant future
Army: Commo/Intell
SpoilsofWar's Tacoma Gallery
What part of nc you moving to?