Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Lumber storage rack

Old 04-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Lumber storage rack

For those of you who do some woodworking...

Here is a great way to store your lumber in your workshop or garage...

Mine is only 2 shelves high but you can make it floor to ceiling...

12" between shelves. 12" ceiling to top shelf.

3/8 lag bolts attached to the wall.

4 inch blocks every 8 inches. secured by 1/2" plywood on the side. Shelves are angled up at 5-7 degrees so they will be level when weight is applied. The backs of the arms that touch the wall are also angled at 5 degrees so it sits in the support flat against the wall. Pretty strong. Im about 215lbs 220lbs and I can do chin ups on 2 of the 2x4 "arms" sticking out...So they will hold quite a bit of weight. I think I made the "arms" 14" maybe 16". I wouldnt go any longer than that...18" would be pushing it I would think...

Hope this helps somebody...
Old 04-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
good idea. Very nice worksmanship.

I need to build something in my garage, but I lucked out with unfinished walls.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
good idea. Very nice worksmanship.

I need to build something in my garage, but I lucked out with unfinished walls.

I'm going to choose to have half my garage unfinished. So easy to make mounting supports off the existing framing.