Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Need to dispose of old/bad gasoline, but waste collections will keep container.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Need to dispose of old/bad gasoline, but waste collections will keep container.

Hi All,

I have 10 gallons of bad gasoline. Approx 2 years old, and I didn't put Sta-bil in them before storing them. There is a free hazardous waste collection in my area, but they will not transfer out of my gas cans. They say they will have to keep the container the gasoline is stored in.

What are some cheap containers that will short term safely hold gasoline?

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
Um, plastic gas cans are pretty cheap. Just saying.

I understand if you have the pre CARB compliant gas cans and you want to keep them. I hate those new style gas containers.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Noisey Taco
mmtak6 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
mmtak6's Tacoma Gallery
Got a Match?
Old 01-03-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Just start collecting empty oil, antifreeze and windshield washer jugs...I have 7 gallons of waste gas and five gallons of waste oil, and bonfires to light. What I don't use for thermal treatment, I can pour into waste oil tank at the local transfer station.

Howard
Old 02-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna taco View Post
2 year old gas won't be so bad if the cans have been kept at a fairly stabie temperature. Put a gallon in a full tank and burn it. Think of it as free gas.

^^ This

Pour in a gallon at a time during/before fill ups... your truck will never notice it.

I had a BMW that was not used for 4 years, stored in a garage with about 3/4 of a tank of gas with no fuel treatment. With a fully charged battery, it started and the engine ran surprisingly well... I was shocked.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
maju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Retired
maju's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by koditten View Post
I understand if you have the pre CARB compliant gas cans and you want to keep them. I hate those new style gas containers.
Get a http://ezpourspout.com/ and replace the CARB compliant spouts.

I have found them at Tractor Supply for $8
Old 02-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #8
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM1
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Just use the gas man.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #9
CodyH. is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Aircraft weapons
Name: Cody
CodyH.'s Tacoma Gallery
You could use it as weed killer if you have weeds around your yard. Or ant killer haha
Old 02-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #10
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyH. View Post
You could go to jail if you use it as weed killer if you have weeds around your yard. Or ant killer haha
FIFY
Old 02-07-2015, 09:29 AM   #11
Clearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Billy
Clearwater Bill's Tacoma Gallery
As others have said, just burn the gas in your truck. 1 or 2 gallons in 20 isn't a problem, as long as it doesn't have any water in it.

This is how I dispose of my lawn tool gas after sitting all winter, and yes, it has 2 cycle oil in it. No problem.

If you really want to dump it, put it in one gallon milk jugs, and the jugs in a crate in the back of your truck.

Find an old gas can at a yard sale. I see them all the time for a couple bucks, in the 3-5 gallon range.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #12
CodyH. is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Aircraft weapons
Name: Cody
CodyH.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by File IFR View Post
FIFY

Lol really? I didn't know that. When I was a kid I was doing yard work for my grandpa and he had these weeds in his driveway but I guess he didn't have any weed killer so had me pour some of his lawn mower gas on them haha. it worked great.

I used it on ants one time. It was a huge group of them in some rocks on the side of my house. Lit it on fire and never saw those ants again. I guess maybe ill never do that again
Old 02-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyH. View Post
Lol really? I didn't know that. When I was a kid I was doing yard work for my grandpa and he had these weeds in his driveway but I guess he didn't have any weed killer so had me pour some of his lawn mower gas on them haha. it worked great.

I used it on ants one time. It was a huge group of them in some rocks on the side of my house. Lit it on fire and never saw those ants again. I guess maybe ill never do that again
Yeah, it's an EPA thing.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:08 AM   #14
Perpetual Cynic
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
No sewers, streams, or wildlife refuges near your house?
Old 02-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #15
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearwater Bill View Post
If you really want to dump it, put it in one gallon milk jugs, and the jugs in a crate in the back of your truck.
Dont do this. Those thin jugs aren't made for gasoline and will melt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearwater Bill View Post
Find an old gas can at a yard sale. I see them all the time for a couple bucks, in the 3-5 gallon range.
Do this. Or go to Walmart and buy a cheapo gas can
Old 02-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #16
Clearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedClearwater Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Billy
Clearwater Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Dont do this. Those thin jugs aren't made for gasoline and will melt........
Maybe. But it's far from instant.

Don't feel confident?

Fill one and set it in an oil drain pan for 'control'. If it fails in less time than it would take you to get to the disposal site, nix my idea and move along. And you've not damaged anything or made a mess. In fact, you'd cleaned up your drain pan

If it lasts overnight, you should be good to go.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #17
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Not worth the risk for the sake of a $5 can
Old 02-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #18
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
Just use the gas, that stale gas thing is out of the 1950's, all gas is pretty stable now and will last a long time in storage
Old 02-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #19
BYBO is a jewel in the roughBYBO is a jewel in the roughBYBO is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter:
Name: Byron
BYBO's Tacoma Gallery
I always burn my old gas, but then again I don't live in Commiefornia.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:16 PM   #20
Palehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Palehorse1's Tacoma Gallery
Are waste oil heaters not a thing out west? All my used oil and crap gas goes into the waste oil heater reservoir.