John Deer 142 31.07%
Cub Cadet 31 6.78%
MTD 0 0%
Snapper 34 7.44%
Other 190 41.58%
Voters: 457. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
your thoughts on the Best mower

so, Im sure we've all used one at one point in time. So whats the verdict, who makes the best mower?

personally, I like John Deer. Because, for the most part, they are American made
Old 05-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Husqvarna
Old 05-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yeah forgot about good ole Husky mowers. quality at an affordable price
Old 05-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i voted others........i like craftsman, troy bilt and husqvarna mowers!!
Old 05-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
i opted for the toro they make a great zero-turn mower
Old 05-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
anything but troy built
Old 05-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtragweed View Post
i opted for the toro they make a great zero-turn mower
X2

Old craftsman it took 2+ hours to mow entire yard, new toro zero turn 1 1/2 tops
Old 05-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
craftsman and snapper is all we ever had and love both of em.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Always had good luch with the JD.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #10

so the general consensus is that zero turn are better than regular riding mowers?
Old 05-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
Old Duckman is a splendid one to beholdOld Duckman is a splendid one to beholdOld Duckman is a splendid one to beholdOld Duckman is a splendid one to beholdOld Duckman is a splendid one to beholdOld Duckman is a splendid one to beholdOld Duckman is a splendid one to beholdOld Duckman is a splendid one to behold
Navy: Gunners Mate-G, USS Detroit (AOE-4)
Old Duckman's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a JD X304 last year, about 30 hours on it so far. Too few to really give much of an opinion. But, so far I am very pleased. The four wheel steering is not as good as zero turn but far better than a regular lawn tractor. Plus the 4 wheel steer has a smaller foot print than a zero turn so it takes up less space in my garage.

I voted JD...MTD ??!! I think that stands for Made To self-Destruct. Junk from what I have seen (no votes so far).

I think you get what you pay for. If you get any known brand in the $3000 range plus...you will most likely have a machine that will give you great service.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #12
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
I currently mow with a John Deere tractor of 1977 vintage. It's been in the family since new. It's a 210 model. The main seal started leaking 2 or 3 years ago. I started looking into rebuilding the Kohler 10hp at a cost of around $1,000+ dollars. I then found a whole 212 tractor with a rebuilt motor for $400.00 and opted to swap motors.

My accessories include a rear mounted tiller, a snow blade, a snow blower and a bagger.

Other than the leaking mains, some odds and ends and regular maintenance it's been an awesome tractor. I've personally owned this tractor for 13 years.

As for a smaller push type, I have 3 Lawn Boys that I've had for 10+ years and had one coil pack go out on me. Two of them are 2 cycle and one is a 4 cycle. All 3 are rear baggers.

As for the mowers themselves, I don't love them but they keep running and mowing grass.

Marc M
Old 05-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I like the dixie chopper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmjzuB07X3k&NR=1
Old 05-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
sdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nice
sdnicker2000's Tacoma Gallery
Did you know MTD makes the following brands:
Troy Bilt
White
Yard Man
Cub Cadet
Bolens
Yard Machines
Vanmar
And maybe Snapper but Im not for sure. There also might be more.
And Tecumseh is now out of business. So don't buy anything with a Tecumseh engine on it.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #15
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
We've had good luck with john deere in the past- anything with a Kawasaki motor will run forever. The mover will fall apart around the engine! I ran a John Deere LX188 mower with the 18hp liquid cooled Kawi in it over 1100 hrs on a 26 acre estate over a couple years and never had a lick of trouble except for the occasional belts and a electronic blade clutch going out at about 1000hrs. It got oil and filter changes every 50 hrs and was washed and greased thouroughly weekly through its entire life.

It seems to me that the new john deere mowers are getting a little cheaper in the quality department. We personally own an old John deere STX38 rider with a 12.5hp Kohler thats like 15 yrs old and have never had a problem with it(except belts) after mowing our yard with it for years. It gets probably an hour a week use in mowing season over that many years. We also have a newer Kubota riding mower with a 15hp Kohler on it for our yard now and love it so far. We've only put about 60 hrs on it though.

I've used some Husqvarna riders and for the most part thought they were junk. Their commercial Zero Turns are in another world though. They rock with the Kawi motors on them and their heavay duty decks and drivetrain. Cant beat mowing a perfect cut at 10mph with the comfort of a suspension seat under you! They make really quick work out of acres of mowing.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:29 AM   #17
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Snapper self propelled that was 26 years old. And the gas tank rusted. I couldn't find a replacement tank. So when I was in the market for a new mower. I bought the same snapper mower. I've had it about 2 years now. Snapper still builds great mowers.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:57 AM   #20
Is there a long john silvers on the island?
TurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Scag, Gravely, Walker, Toro, Kubota. All Zero turn, all over $5k and all will last a homeowner a lifetime. This coming from a golf course superintendent and we own mostly john deere.....tells you what I think of the green stuff.