1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tighten house advice

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by darrmill, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Mar 19, 2015 at 10:16 AM
    darrmill

darrmill [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DC SB
    Pop N Lock, Weathertechs, Viper remote starter, Intermittent wiper switch, devil horns, Access rollup tonneau, Wet Okoles, Rocky Mounts, EGR vent guards
    Hey all, looking for some advice . . . I've got two vertical cracks in my house that widen quite a bit during the winter. They're in upstairs bedrooms, are probably along sheetrock seams, and have grown a bit in length year to year. One has turned horizontal about halfway down the wall. Both have really grown this year due to the crazy snow totals we had. I plan to plaster them soon.

My question is, is there any type of support I could add in my attic to pull the house tighter in hopes of minimizing this issue down the road? I was thinking of something like a come-along from one side of the house to the other. The attic has a bed of insulation atop the beams and access through a closet ceiling, so getting up there is a chore. But, I'd like to look into a counter to snow loads cracking my walls if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
    Darrell

2. Mar 19, 2015 at 10:18 AM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
  3. Mar 19, 2015 at 10:23 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Are the cracks in the walls or ceiling ? Or at the wall to ceiling interface ?

Is the roof framing system trusses or rafters ?

4. Mar 19, 2015 at 10:27 AM
    !TacoTaco!

!TacoTaco! TACO LOVER!

Member:
    First Name:
    Felix
    PSL, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD SR5 Sport
    Removed coal filter, Also installed AFE air filter. Roof rack with custom diamond plate air diverter.
    Sounds like the foundation might be shifting? Since you mention that they get larger after the winter maybe that your footings are above the frost line. Just my guess.

5. Mar 19, 2015 at 10:35 AM
    crazy joker

crazy joker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Charlotte area, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB sport 4x4
    Real men just call it camping
    I would check the foundation first. If that's not it, I would be looking for evidence of remodeling. You never know, someone could have taken out a load bearing wall or something.

6. Mar 19, 2015 at 11:14 AM
    darrmill

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DC SB
    Pop N Lock, Weathertechs, Viper remote starter, Intermittent wiper switch, devil horns, Access rollup tonneau, Wet Okoles, Rocky Mounts, EGR vent guards
    The cracks are in the walls. They begin at the intersection of the wall and ceiling and work down, jagged like a lightning bolt. One wall is an outside wall. The other is between two rooms. I have no snow on my roof right now and they're barely visible. If one were to stand in the room facing the front of the house, the roof would be front-to-back and the cracked walls would be on the left and right.

The roof framing system is rafters.

While it's possible the foundation is shifting, they seem to change most by downward pressure from the roof.

Thanks!

7. Mar 19, 2015 at 11:36 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    There is a good chance the heavy snow load that was on the roof compressed the roof , deflected the roof rafters which then thrust outward on the exterior walls

8. Mar 19, 2015 at 11:40 AM
    darrmill

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DC SB
    Yes, that's what I was thinking. Do you know of any cabling system or alternative idea that I could put in place up there so I don't have similar/continuing problems each winter?

9. Mar 19, 2015 at 11:48 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Adding some collar ties might be the easiest solution but without seeing the roof framing it's hard to accurately suggest a remedy

10. Mar 19, 2015 at 11:55 AM
    darrmill

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DC SB
    Okay, thanks. I'll look into that. I appreciate the time!

11. Mar 19, 2015 at 11:59 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    If you can click a picture inside the attic it might help .

12. May 25, 2015 at 7:35 AM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Are your ceiling joist tails fastened together over the interior bearing wall(s)?

13. Mar 28, 2016 at 3:37 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Strong ties...do you have a lot of wind blowing against your house?

14. Mar 28, 2016 at 3:55 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Those are a pretty tough retrofit , ask me how I know

15. Mar 28, 2016 at 4:01 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    yeah I know too ;) really tough to know whats going on with OP house...without some pics and some more info...such as wind direction, wall heights etc.

16. Mar 28, 2016 at 4:06 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Those hold downs don't really effect wind loading for deflection anyways .

17. Mar 28, 2016 at 4:08 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Fracking in your neighborhood?

18. Mar 28, 2016 at 4:25 PM
    mij

mij Day work

Member:
    I'd would contact a structural engineer , I had to once , it took a lot of investigation by him to figure out and solve the problem . You could do more harm if your not sure of the solution.

19. Mar 28, 2016 at 4:35 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Well hopefully the OP got something figured out in the year since this thread was started haha

Products Discussed in

To Top