Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Building a shed/shop

Old 05-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #21
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Are you going to insulate and sheetrock?
Nah. I've got to get the basement done before I can even think about making my new shop look like a shrine to tools and testosterone. I am going to build in a sound-deadening set-up for the compressor once I figure out how to do that without restricting the airflow and overheating the new motor.

Oh yeh. I forgot to mention that the compressor (along with an assortment of tools to go with it) are new to the tool set and were absolutely instrumental in getting as much work done as we did. My arms can barely make a fist right now as it is. If I had been hammering all of those nails I don't think I'd have been able to make it through the afternoon yesterday, much less today. Good stuff, those nail guns...
Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #22
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Probably the best thing you can do is to build a small attachment to the garage to store the compressor in there. Or you could build an insulated box around the compressor with one side being an exterior wall. Cut a rectangular slot at the top and bottom for proper airflow and then install some hardware cloth to keep the bugs out.

For cheap sound dampening material, I like a foam eggcrate mattress topper.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #23
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Probably the best thing you can do is to build a small attachment to the garage to store the compressor in there. Or you could build an insulated box around the compressor with one side being an exterior wall. Cut a rectangular slot at the top and bottom for proper airflow and then install some hardware cloth to keep the bugs out.

For cheap sound dampening material, I like a foam eggcrate mattress topper.
That's exactly what I was planning on doing. Building a box (that can open to move the compressor if necessary) and foam eggcrate all around the inside. I'm even going to try and build small sections about 5 inches on the outside of the slots and addition sound buffer for whatever makes it out of those. Biggest things right now is the resonance off the concrete and through the frame. It sounds like the building is being vibrated when you're outside.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #24
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Have you considered getting a thick rubber mat?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #25
Jackass to the masses

Quote:
Have you considered getting a thick rubber mat?
I think that would work as long as I can put a piece of metal under neath the compressor to protect the mat (or concrete) from the drain valve. I've seen concrete etched badly and soft materials torn apart from the force of draining a fully charged compressor with a day's worth of condensation in it. Bet I could just put a scrap of 1/8" steel on top of the mat under the drain to take the hit...
Old 05-18-2009, 07:57 AM   #26
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
A small roof in front of the shed would be really nice to have.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #27
txusa03 is on a distinguished road
txusa03's Tacoma Gallery
Nice progress. I built one from the ground up back in 2006 but very small compare to what you have there and ofcourse not as much work to built this tiny shed of roughly 8x8. I decided on 8x8 because each plywood is 4x8 so there is little left over plywood after it is built. It survived hurricane Ike (2008) without any problems while many houses surrouding got roof damages and leaks.

I wish I had made it a little roomier because now the lawn equipments just take over the shed. If you are looking for ideas for shelf, look at the shelf I made for my tiny shed with one on each side.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a shed/shop-shed1.jpg   Building a shed/shop-shed2.jpg   Building a shed/shop-shed3.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #28
Jackass to the masses

It's official... I now have a new shop. The trim still needs to be painted and I've got plenty of organization to get done but it's functional and I'm damn happy. Here's the updated pics.

Here's what the inside looked like before I got started today with moving stuff in.

And here's after about 85% of the stuff was moved in.

Complete with shelves on the rear loft for parts.

Bench (right and left)

Front loft
Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #29
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
very nice setup. I've spent many hours in my garage and it is no where near ready for public display.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #30
Rangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant futureRangerpeterson has a brilliant future

Army: 75th Ranger Regiment
Rangerpeterson's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:26 AM   #31
Allow myself to introduce myself...
Whataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhataboutbob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Whataboutbob's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet!! All you need now is a fridge for beer.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:29 AM   #32
txusa03 is on a distinguished road
txusa03's Tacoma Gallery
I am so jealous.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #33
Jackass to the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whataboutbob View Post
Sweet!! All you need now is a fridge for beer.
The wife actually mentioned that... I'm going to watch Craig's list for a college student getting rid of theirs. A little bleach and it'll be great.

Should have the inspection done thursday or friday and then I can work on running electric. Putting a 50a double post breaker in the box in the house and running 55a outdoor line to a service box in the shed with 3 circuits (15a x2 and 20a (for compressor and welder). Should get me right where I need to be.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #34
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to run new service to my garage, but the expense of the 55 Amp wire is holding me back. I'd probably need 100'.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:41 AM   #35
Jackass to the masses

Quote:
I'd like to run new service to my garage, but the expense of the 55 Amp wire is holding me back. I'd probably need 100'.
yeh. I've only got about 75' to run but that's gonna hurt. Cheapest I've found is about $3.75/ft. Luckily it's considered part of the addition and we'll be able to include it as part of the tax write-off for home improvements next year.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #36
mxracer16 is on a distinguished road
mxracer16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillechopper View Post
So the wife and I finally decided to build a 12x24 shed/shop for all of my "stuff" which includes the bikes, tools, yard implements, etc. Since our property only has one place that would make sense and it has a significant slope the simple build turned into a real project, especially since I'm pouring a 5" slab. So far the project has gone well over budget due to a real underestimate of the amount of gravel needed to backfill the foundation for slab prep and me not having a front-end loader (shoveled about 17 tons of gravel in one day by hand before my back gave out). Between inspections and the weather we've had a few schedule delays as well.
Short of it is I'm just now coming to a good place to be able to share the progress. Next weekend I've got friends coming over for a shed raising party so I should have some more pics after that. Hopefully I'll be able to post the completed work space in the show your shop thread shortly after that (once I can build my benches, lofts, etc and get everything moved in).

heck yah ! you have real nice spot for a shop.
i want one !!!!!!!!!!!