Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Workbench Top Paint

Old 06-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Workbench Top Paint

I found a great local steel processing center that is doing a few small jobs for me. One of them is cutting a 1/4" thick metal top for my 8' x 2' workbench. I am having them swirl the top, so I will need to seal it with something. Can anyone recommend something I should spray it with? Rustoleum makes more than a few clearcoat type finishs, but I don't know whether to use an Enamel, Polyurethan, Water Based, Oil Based, etc. I would something that will stand up to spilled gas and oil and household chemicals. Any ideas?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
have you considered just getting an aluminum topper?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
The more I think about this, the more it seems that you should reconsider using mild steel for this. The paint isn't going to do a really good job for something like a workbench.

If you're stuck with it, then I would just keep it sprayed down with some oil. Just a light coat to keep it from rusting.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
stainless steel, like restaurant kitchens
Old 06-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
cntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
Will you be using this top for welding?
Old 06-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntstan View Post
Will you be using this top for welding?
Possibly. I wanted something I could beat the shit out of and not dent. Most stainless tops can be dented. This 1/4" is NOT going to dent. It will be swirl polished and the guy that did it said I should just spray paint it with some clear coat....I just don't know what type of clear coat to use.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
jpg366 will become famous soon enough
jpg366's Tacoma Gallery
I'd recommend blueing it... there is an old "cold rust" technique that produces a very tough finish. Degrease it, apply bluing, let it rust, steel wool it, and repeat. After a while, it stops rusting, and it's ready for a thin bit of light oil or paste wax.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg366 View Post
I'd recommend blueing it... there is an old "cold rust" technique that produces a very tough finish. Degrease it, apply bluing, let it rust, steel wool it, and repeat. After a while, it stops rusting, and it's ready for a thin bit of light oil or paste wax.
Interesting idea....
Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
tisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Alex
tisher49's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
x2

I covered my bench (wood) with indoor outdoor carpet, when it gets nasty I just pull it up and replace it. Looks nice, holds parts and absorbs some of the abuse on the wood. Next time I replace it I plan to do 50% carpet and 50% rubber mat.

If I had a steel bench, which would be cool, I'd coat it with a lightweight oil to prevent rust and call it good.
you have a pic of how you covered your bench? Did you just lay the carpet on top or have you attached it some how?
Old 01-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
Yota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yota1's Tacoma Gallery
light oil, or wd40 from time to time. make sit very easy to clean, and to work on stuff. paint may chip if you are hammering ect.

its a work bench, use it as one
Old 01-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #11
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
my bench in my shop sees quite a bit of extensive abuse... i am constantly welding, using the plasma cutter, grinding, and just beating the crap out of it in general. i choose to use 3/4" MDF as the base, then covered that with a thin sheet of diamond plate. thus far it has held up great, the diamond plate does show some abuse but nothing other than cosmetic damage...
Old 01-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I topped mine with some "sacrificial" plywood. I figure it's gonna get abused pretty badly (eventually), and resurfacing it even as often as once a year is cheap. I'm going to mount a vice with a strike plate on the front right corner if I really need to bang on something.