Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Tool Question....

Old 07-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #21
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr02 View Post
there is a wire wheel that you can put on a drill.it's about 2inches in diameter and they have smaller but i saw it done with the 2.the sanding disk won't give you the brushed look that i think your looking for

I've seen a buddy of mine use this method a while back and it turned out great. He used an air drill and a wire brush like you mentioned. It took quite a while to cover the piece of metal he was working (about 4x6) but was worth the work IMO.

The wire brushes can be picked up @ just about any hardware store.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #22
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
If it makes any difference the piece he was working on was stainless.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #23
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Hot rolled? That is going to take some work. Can you post a pic of it now?
Yes, it will take some work. I bought cheap and didn't want to pay up for more expensive stainless, etc. Here is some good info on Hot Rolled:
http://www.metalreference.com/INFO_H...led_Steel.html
I intend to practice and test what will work the best, but I am thinking steel paper on a metal polisher, working to smaller and finer grit, ending in a paste polishing compound with the final finish in clear lacquer. The 1/4" metal sheet will be on top of a 1 1/2" thick MDF table top so I think the steel may not even need to be glued or bolted down. The MDF top has a metal brace screwed into the underside to add rigidty and prevent sagging.....it's pretty damn strong already, withour adding the metal plate on top.

(I have found that spraying on enamel/lacquer with the plate in the full sun so it heats up really hot results in an extremely smooth finish which cures fast. The paint, due to the heat, spreads out very nicely and hardens well. Rustoleum works extremely well.)
Old 07-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #24
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
Yes, it will take some work. I bought cheap and didn't want to pay up for more expensive stainless, etc. Here is some good info on Hot Rolled:
http://www.metalreference.com/INFO_H...led_Steel.html
I intend to practice and test what will work the best, but I am thinking steel paper on a metal polisher, working to smaller and finer grit, ending in a paste polishing compound with the final finish in clear lacquer.

I am aware of Hot Rolled. To do engine turning properly and effectively, the metal surface needs to be flat. I don't think it will work on the hot rooled steel.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #25
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, here are some pics. Just got it out of the truck and set it on the workbench. This thing is HEAVY. Wife could hardly lift one end....but she's a wuss grrrl. Had to wear her apron so she wouldn't get doity. You can see in the last pic some of the the "bluing" color inherent to hot rolled steel. I think this will clean up very nicely. Perfect fit, no need to affix it to base at all. I am going to LOVE this thing!!!!! Tacoma Mods #1, Garage Mods #1.5. Edges have been ground and deburred.
Attached Thumbnails
Tool Question....-img_0005.jpg   Tool Question....-img_0007.jpg   Tool Question....-img_0006.jpg   Tool Question....-img_0008.jpg  
Old 07-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #26
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Pster, I don't think you are going to get the desired result with that surface finish.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #27
SMO
SaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
SaltySteve's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pster, I don't think you are going to get the desired result with that surface finish.
I think it would be possible to but only if you ground off all that scale first. My $.02.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #28

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltySteve View Post
I think it would be possible to but only if you ground off all that scale first. My $.02.
I would agree.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:46 AM   #29
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltySteve View Post
I intend to sand the scale off.....if possible. I realize it is a rough finish and needs lots of work. NO WORK = NO FUN!!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:48 AM   #30

Marines:
Quote:
I intend to sand the scale off.....if possible. I realize it is a rough finish and needs lots of work. NO WORK = NO FUN!!!!

Haha, atta boy!! Here I will help

Old 07-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #32
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure to use safety glasses if you use a wire brush attachment. Those bristles fly off too easily.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #33
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Make sure to use safety glasses if you use a wire brush attachment. Those bristles fly off too easily.
Thanks, in fact I just bought a new pair......I need to sand all the scale off and then I'll start working on a finish. I never expected I could get it to look as good as the engine turned swirls, but I should be able to get it looking tons better than it does now!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #34
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
I went at the metal plate yesterday with an orbital sander and 80 grit silicon carbide paper just to see the effect. It cleaned it about 80-90%, but man is this going to take a while. I need to find something much rougher for the first pass. I read also that muriatic acid would take off the scale, but I am assuming I would need to practically immerse the damn think in it for a day....I think I am just going to grind and grind and grind.....going to try paint stripper paper as I also read it can work well.....need tight grit.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #35

Marines:

Do you know any machine shops locally?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #36
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Do you know any machine shops locally?
No, I really don't. I just think I need to find the right tool/sandpaper....hence the name of this thread.....
Old 07-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #37

Marines:
It you want to rough cut the slag, a belt sander will work. Just keep it moving. Then you could finish cut with the orbital.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #38
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It you want to rough cut the slag, a belt sander will work. Just keep it moving. Then you could finish cut with the orbital.
Yeah, I thought the belt sander might be a good choice, but I don't have one and wouldn't use it for anything else if I bought one. I was thinking maybe one of those round sander/polishers?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #39

Marines:
Quote:
Yeah, I thought the belt sander might be a good choice, but I don't have one and wouldn't use it for anything else if I bought one. I was thinking maybe one of those round sander/polishers?
Do you mean one that is used on vehicles? Sort of a big angle grinder with a large pad?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #40
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you mean one that is used on vehicles? Sort of a big angle grinder with a large pad?
Yes. let me find a pic