Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Tool Question....

Old 07-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Tool Question....

OK, I got my 8' x 2' and 1/4" steel workbench top today. I need to clean it up and polish it now. I want to put those nice swirl circles in it if possible before I seal it and may need to clean up some of the edges. Do I need to get a "polisher/grinder"? Is there a certain type or grit of wheel I need to get for it? I would like to use whatever I get to also polish my truck, if that is possible? I am just not sure of what tool to get. Any thoughts on type and a good brand in this category? Thanks!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, you want what is called "engine turned" finish.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Here is a good reference

http://www.pledge.co.uk/pledge_and_a...h/ref/ch2b.htm
Old 07-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
Mall Krawler
coppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
coppert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Other references...

http://www.workingpsychology.com/div.../jeweling.html

http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~eamonn/et/et.htm
Old 07-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #5

Marines:
This is a better reference t6han my first one.

http://volvospeed.com/Mods/engine_turning_jewling.html
Old 07-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
The Engine Turn is in fact what I had in mind, but this piece is 8 feet long and would it take forever to do this. I was hoping that I could accomplish something "similar" with an orbital grinder/polisher or something.......
Old 07-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
60% of the time it works every time
Hollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hollywood22's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry can't offer you any suggestions. Sounds like it will be sweet when you are finished. Post some pics of the finished product.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
You wont be able to get the finish your looking for with an Orbital.

Have a couple beers ready, because it can take a while and requires some patients.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #10

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
The Engine Turn is in fact what I had in mind, but this piece is 8 feet long and would it take forever to do this. I was hoping that I could accomplish something "similar" with an orbital grinder/polisher or something.......
You can, but the idea is to be evenly spaced which is almost impossible to do by hand. You can always test on one side to see what works best. i would recommend an air die grinder.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
I think what I am going to do is get an orbital grinder/polisher since I always wanted one....I'll use some rubbing compound on a disk and just go over as best I can to get it really clean and shiny....swirls are OK, even if not symmetircal. I just don't want it to look like bare metal. Thanks for ya'lls advice. Is there even such a thing as on orbital grinder/polisher? or is it an orbital sander/polisher? I don't suppose an orbital anything would be used to "grind metal"...
Old 07-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #12

Marines:
Quote:
I think what I am going to do is get an orbital grinder/polisher since I always wanted one....I'll use some rubbing compound on a disk and just go over as best I can to get it really clean and shiny....swirls are OK, even if not symmetircal. I just don't want it to look like bare metal. Thanks for ya'lls advice. Is there even such a thing as on orbital grinder/polisher? or is it an orbital sander/polisher? I don't suppose an orbital anything would be used to "grind metal"...
Just get an orbital sander. It is the pad/grit that is going to make the difference. Start with a low grit, say 180 then work up to a +600.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #13
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Just get an orbital sander. It is the pad/grit that is going to make the difference. Start with a low grit, say 180 then work up to a +600.
OK, I am going to look at them this weekend. Want a variable speed one as I know going too fast can damage your paint. Can I put polishing pads on an orbital sander as well?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #14

Marines:
Quote:
OK, I am going to look at them this weekend. Want a variable speed one as I know going too fast can damage your paint. Can I put polishing pads on an orbital sander as well?
I think so. The higher grit pads like +400 and above are pretty much polishing pads.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
SMO
SaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
SaltySteve's Tacoma Gallery
Here's an idea . . . .

With whatever tool you end up using you could make a "stencil" for it our of plywood with a hole saw or something. Hold it down with some clamps so it won't move. Then move the stencil over appropriately so you get the even spacing and finish you desire. Make sense? I actually think that'd work pretty well.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #16
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltySteve View Post
Here's an idea . . . .

With whatever tool you end up using you could make a "stencil" for it our of plywood with a hole saw or something. Hold it down with some clamps so it won't move. Then move the stencil over appropriately so you get the even spacing and finish you desire. Make sense? I actually think that'd work pretty well.
Makes perfectly good sense......I need to get this heavy thing onto the bench tonight (still in back of truck)......I'll clean it up first, go to Lowes and see what they have. I want to study it and think about it before diving in, which is why I value ya'lls suggestions.
I have a pretty steady hand and a good eye, if I used a non-orbital type polisher, I'll bet I could do this without have to use a template....
Old 07-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #17

Marines:
What kind of steel is it?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
jfr02 will become famous soon enough

Army:
jfr02's Tacoma Gallery
there is a wire wheel that you can put on a drill.it's about 2inches in diameter and they have smaller but i saw it done with the 2.the sanding disk won't give you the brushed look that i think your looking for
Old 07-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #19
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr02 View Post
there is a wire wheel that you can put on a drill.it's about 2inches in diameter and they have smaller but i saw it done with the 2.the sanding disk won't give you the brushed look that i think your looking for
It's Hot Rolled steel plate. Edges deburred with the two outside corners cut with rounded corners......I also was just looking at the wire brish attachment you mentioned and thought the same thing you mentioned. On the "face down" side of the plate I intend to do some practicing..... I'll take some good pics when I am done and how/what I did.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #20

Marines:
Hot rolled? That is going to take some work. Can you post a pic of it now?