Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Tools and Compressors

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
Phillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud of

Phillyguy's Tacoma Gallery
Tools and Compressors

<-- Work for a large tool manufacturer (leave out name for now) so let me know if you have any questions and hopefully I can help out.

Impacts, ratchets, compressors, hoists, drills, cordless, etc.

New to the Tacoma world so I'm sure I will have questions for you all in return.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
My hose/air line keeps developing bubbles and bursting, I’m assuming I need a better hose or un the compressor at lower PSI? I bought on of those orange Goodyear 100’ hose from harbor fright; do I need a better house?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Phillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud ofPhillyguy has much to be proud of

What size/model compressor do you have?
What are you running off the compressor? impact wrenchs? grinders?
Where is the line puncturing? near the fitting or along the line?

In terms of tools or compressed air systems, I would stay far away from Harbour Freight, there is a reason why everything is so inexpensive there.

99% of all pneumatic tools are built to run optimally at 90 PSI. Most small recipricating compressors (which I am assuming you have) run close to 125 PSI out of the gate. If you pair the higher pressure with a crappy hose, not only can the hose line burst, but it can damage the tool.

I would pick up a higher rated hose and a Filter/Regulator/Lubricator piggyback system (relatively cheap) and pipe directly on to the compressor. Using the regulator, lower it to 90-95 PSI and now you should be golden.

If you want to get serious (since you live in Cali) I would even look at a smaller dryer to protect you from all that hot moisture you are getting in the line.... just a thought.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raskal311 View Post
My house/air line keeps developing bubbles and bursting, I’m assuming I need a better house or un the compressor at lower PSI? I bought on of those orange Goodyear 100’ hose from harbor freight; do I need a better house?
There is the problem right there. Most of their brand name stuff is reconditioned or "seconds" I have several hoses from them that have done the same. I would suggest getting a higher quality hose.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyguy View Post
Quote:

In terms of tools or compressed air systems, I would stay far away from Harbour Freight, there is a reason why everything is so inexpensive there.

99% of all pneumatic tools are built to run optimally at 90 PSI. Most small recipricating compressors (which I am assuming you have) run close to 125 PSI out of the gate. If you pair the higher pressure with a crappy hose, not only can the hose line burst, but it can damage the tool.

I would pick up a higher rated hose and a Filter/Regulator/Lubricator piggyback system (relatively cheap) and pipe directly on to the compressor. Using the regulator, lower it to 90-95 PSI and now you should be golden.

If you want to get serious (since you live in Cali) I would even look at a smaller dryer to protect you from all that hot moisture you are getting in the line.... just a thought.

- Its one of the bigger craftsman, I forget which so i'll have to check when I get home but I believe it’s a 22gallong 125 or 150 PSI.

- Mainly a nail gun so far but I do used an impact wrench and grinders every so often

- I don’t believe so, most of the bubbles are developing near the tool side of the hoses.

Filter/Regulator/Lubricator piggyback system???

Can you give me some for info on this? I’m not sure what you are referring to. My brother in-law did recently give me some valve that attaches to the outlet of the compressor which seems to regulate the pressure feeding the hose much like that is already built in to the compressor; I’ll take a picture of it when I get home.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
\m/.....\m/
ph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ph16drive's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Phillyguy, I have a torque ratchet wrench that I loaned to my brother-in-law who used it as a breaker bar. Needless to say, the next time I went to use it, it didn't work at all. After taking the retaining ring off, what came out was the center body and a lot of metal dust. I'm wondering if this thing is worth repairing and how good of a torque wrench it was to begin with. It's a Utica TCI-150FDR and I'm not finding much in the way of rebuild kits let alone google search hits. Any thoughts?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
Also I generally don’t need 100’ unless I’m working on the house. Would it be a bad ideal to just get a new 25’ for garage use and keeping the 100’ for when I need it that long? I don’t think I’ll need it that often now that the most of the house is remodeled. I’m also thinking about removing the damaged area by cutting 10’ of it off and attaching a new fitting with a hose clamp. Bad idea?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also I generally donít need 100í unless Iím working on the house. Would it be a bad ideal to just get a new 25í for garage use and keeping the 100í for when I need it that long? I donít think Iíll need it that often now that the most of the house is remodeled. Iím also thinking about removing the damaged area by cutting 10í of it off and attaching a new fitting with a hose clamp. Bad idea?
You'll get a pressure drop over 100' - typically about 5psi per 50'.

If you have a decent barbed fitting to go inside the hose and a decent tight hose clamp, it won't be a problem. What's the worst that can happen, it breaks away and the hose whips for a while. You should pressure down the system when not in use anyway.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph16drive View Post
Hey Phillyguy, I have a torque ratchet wrench that I loaned to my brother-in-law who used it as a breaker bar. Needless to say, the next time I went to use it, it didn't work at all. After taking the retaining ring off, what came out was the center body and a lot of metal dust. I'm wondering if this thing is worth repairing and how good of a torque wrench it was to begin with. It's a Utica TCI-150FDR and I'm not finding much in the way of rebuild kits let alone google search hits. Any thoughts?
Isn't a ratchet wrench only about $30 new? If so, ditch the old and buy a new one.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersharp View Post
Isn't a ratchet wrench only about $30 new? If so, ditch the old and buy a new one.
Actually the torque wrench he is talking about is over $150.00. What I would do is locate your nearest Utica distributor (should also be a repair facility) and ask them what their opinion is. Unfortunately when torque wrenches like those break, repair them would take some sort of calibration to ensure its hitting torque again.

Be cautious when you get a quote from them, they will probably charge you per 60 mins of repair when it will only take them 20 mins to actually fix. You may be able to find another used one online somewhere or at a local refab place.

Unfortunately I dont deal with Utica otherwise I would take care of it for you. I may be able to find one at a discount for you, PM me.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Also I generally donít need 100í unless Iím working on the house. Would it be a bad ideal to just get a new 25í for garage use and keeping the 100í for when I need it that long? I donít think Iíll need it that often now that the most of the house is remodeled. Iím also thinking about removing the damaged area by cutting 10í of it off and attaching a new fitting with a hose clamp. Bad idea?
Yes there will be a slight pressure drop over the span of 100' but if its just being used for a nail gun, it should not make too much of a difference.

You can cut the hose, however I wouldnt fix a bad hose because it will probably break again. Cheap airline hoses are VERY easy to pierce, even a slight hole. Every hole you get will result in a decrease of total CFM and pressure along with adding moisture into your lines.

If the leak is happening near the tool, it could be from constant twisting of the tool or rubbing the hose on something slightly abrasive. A more durable hose will not puncture that easily and should have little to no cfm loss.

Here is a link for the FRL's I was talking about for the compressor. This regulates your pressure down, filters dirt and other particulate, and lubricates your tools. Every compressor should have one.

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com...px-am_en-34385
Old 07-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #12
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Cool thread. I've got an old as dirt Speedaire compressor. It probably has about a 10 gal capacity and gets up to 80psi. This has an electric motor attached to a belt that runs a pneumatic cylinder. I keep this one on all the time for airing tires, blow gun, and quick jobs. I've got another compressor that I use for my nail guns.

Anyway, I added some pneumatic oil to the compressor and now when my compressor gets to 70+psi it starts to shake a bunch. What do you think is going on? Should I remove some of the oil?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Cool thread. I've got an old as dirt Speedaire compressor. It probably has about a 10 gal capacity and gets up to 80psi. This has an electric motor attached to a belt that runs a pneumatic cylinder. I keep this one on all the time for airing tires, blow gun, and quick jobs. I've got another compressor that I use for my nail guns.

Anyway, I added some pneumatic oil to the compressor and now when my compressor gets to 70+psi it starts to shake a bunch. What do you think is going on? Should I remove some of the oil?
Actually a little ironic that you asked this considering the recent posts on this forum about synthetic vs. standard oil.

What you have is a single-stage (belt driving one single piston) electric compressor. I would guess around 2-3hp. If you can be a little more specific on what oil you put in the compressor, it could help. But like any old motor or engine, if you put new oil in, it can break sludge seals and loosen old gaskets. What I see quite often are old compressors that people try to "revive" by changing the oil out. This can actually crack the seals and gaskets and unbalances the single piston (starts shaking) while it trys to hit peak pressure.

I would replace the oil one more time with proper synthetic compressor oil and see if it helps. If not, your pump is pretty much shot. If you are handy and can find the parts (pending age of the compressor) you may be able to rebuild the cylinder, otherwise you may be in the market for a new one.

A compressor that size are not that expensive. If you are interested in a new, PM me and I can try help ya out.

But get back to me on the "pneumatic" oil you used and lets see if we can fix the old dog.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
OK. Thanks. It was advertised at Lowe's as compressor oil. I didn't replace the oil, I just topped it off.

I probably spent about $40 to get new shutoff valves and fittings on it...another $120 and I could have probably bought a new one.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #15
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
now that I'm thinking about it, when I checked the old oil, it looked really clean. I have my doubts that there is really much sludge build up in there. I may try taking a little bit out and see how it performs.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
now that I'm thinking about it, when I checked the old oil, it looked really clean. I have my doubts that there is really much sludge build up in there. I may try taking a little bit out and see how it performs.
Check the seals and gaskets. See if its leaking around the pump, thats where the shaking will be coming from.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:07 AM   #17
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 4HP 13 gallon compressor (cant remember the manufacture) that will run fine when first turn on, but when the compressor comes on the 2nd time it blows house my breaker. You know of any place in the NJ/PA area that fixes this or is it even worth fixing.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
I have a 4HP 13 gallon compressor (cant remember the manufacture) that will run fine when first turn on, but when the compressor comes on the 2nd time it blows house my breaker. You know of any place in the NJ/PA area that fixes this or is it even worth fixing.
Does it blow the breaker when there is pressure already in the tank? Or does it only happen when there is absolutely no pressure.

If happens occasionally when there is either pressure or no pressure, it is most likely your check valve. I would pull the check valve out and look to see if the plastic ball is still in there or if there is dirt inside of it. If you dont mind getting a little dirty, blow on the check valve and make sure air only goes through one way, not the other.

If it only happens when there is no pressure in the tank, there could be a "bad spot" in the motor that is shorting out the system by drawing more amps. The compressor SHOULD NOT be drawing more amps to routinely fill your tank up.

In terms of repairs, call the manufacturer of the compressor and ask what they think. My office personally only works with compressors 10-6000 HP, smaller stuff we don't get involved in.

If you are in the market for a new one, I can help you out with units on this link: http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com...px-am_en-12876
Old 07-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #19
\m/.....\m/
ph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ph16drive's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Actually the torque wrench he is talking about is over $150.00. What I would do is locate your nearest Utica distributor (should also be a repair facility) and ask them what their opinion is. Unfortunately when torque wrenches like those break, repair them would take some sort of calibration to ensure its hitting torque again.

Be cautious when you get a quote from them, they will probably charge you per 60 mins of repair when it will only take them 20 mins to actually fix. You may be able to find another used one online somewhere or at a local refab place.

Unfortunately I dont deal with Utica otherwise I would take care of it for you. I may be able to find one at a discount for you, PM me.
Hey Philly, thought I'd update you as to your advice. I contacted Utica which is made by Cooper Power Tools and they sent me a really nice e-mail with attached drawings that showed replacement parts. It was very thorough. I ordered what they said from Fastenal and $75 later, I have a torque wrench again. I saw a complete Utica model like I have on ebay that sold for $12 and was kicking myself but you never know what condition these are in. Anyhow, thanks for the advice. Luckily, I didn't have to buy this torque wrench in the first place - it was given to me.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph16drive View Post
Hey Philly, thought I'd update you as to your advice. I contacted Utica which is made by Cooper Power Tools and they sent me a really nice e-mail with attached drawings that showed replacement parts. It was very thorough. I ordered what they said from Fastenal and $75 later, I have a torque wrench again. I saw a complete Utica model like I have on ebay that sold for $12 and was kicking myself but you never know what condition these are in. Anyhow, thanks for the advice. Luckily, I didn't have to buy this torque wrench in the first place - it was given to me.
Awesome! So you saved yourself almost half compared to buying a new one. Yeah you need to be very cautious on ebay or harbour freight because you really never know what you are going to get, especially when torque is critical.

Sometimes it makes sense to pay double for something that will last 4X longer. Thats why we all own Tacoma's and not Chevy S10s! Same thing applies to industrial equipment. Working for Ingersoll Rand I have seen all of this first hand.

Let me know how else I can help!

Products Discussed in this Thread