Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Torque wrench suggestions

Old 07-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #21
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I think Craftsman has a good one for about $70.00 or so. Yes, You set the torque, and it will cklick when it is achieved.

X2 I have the 1/2" drive Craftsman that I will assume you are talking about, and it works great.

I also have a 3/8" drive Snap-On that I reserve for the important stuff like engine work, etc.

The Snap-On is obviously of far superior in quality, but will cost you a pretty penny, and is not necessary for most work.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #22
SMO
SaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
SaltySteve's Tacoma Gallery
Check pawns shops too. Some people will say no but right now with the economy the way it is you can find a ton of stuff (some quality stuff) for relatively cheap. Just a thought.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #23
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
X2 I have the 1/2" drive Craftsman that I will assume you are talking about, and it works great.
Yep!
Old 07-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #24
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltySteve View Post
Check pawns shops too. Some people will say no but right now with the economy the way it is you can find a ton of stuff (some quality stuff) for relatively cheap. Just a thought.
Good idea. I am watching a few on Ebay, Amazon and elsewhere....should have one before the weekend is out. I am basically trying to upgrade and fill out my tool chest with a few things I didn't have. I gave up trying to stick with any one brand...now I just look for the best tool for the purpose and get it.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #25
*!tweaked!*
hunt4steve is a jewel in the roughhunt4steve is a jewel in the roughhunt4steve is a jewel in the rough

Army: Spc, 4th/27th FA, MLRS, Germany
Name: SteveO
hunt4steve's Tacoma Gallery
just found a 1/2" drive 20 - 250 foot pounds for ~80 bucks.

I should have qualified that it is a Husky Pro from Home Depot.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #26
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt4steve View Post
just found a 1/2" drive 20 - 250 foot pounds for ~80 bucks.
There's tons out there for ~$80. I'm trying to get mine cheaper.....
Old 07-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #27
*!tweaked!*
hunt4steve is a jewel in the roughhunt4steve is a jewel in the roughhunt4steve is a jewel in the rough

I almost got a Gear Wrench from Amazon for nearly $200 bucks, but just happen to see one in Home Depot for more than 1/2 the price. I'm happy
Old 07-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #29
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I almost got a Gear Wrench from Amazon for nearly $200 bucks, but just happen to see one in Home Depot for more than 1/2 the price. I'm happy
Yeah, GearWrench is made by Danaher which also makes Kobalt, KG, Matco and several other brands. There is one for sale on Ebay starting at like a buck, new, or used once maybe. I almost bid on it.....
Old 07-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #30
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using a Taiwanese made one 10-80lbft that I got off Amazon for like $25 shipped.

Spose my Taco's going to fall apart.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #31
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i learned my lesson the hard way, not to use cheap crappy tools. You either break the tool while working on what ever your doing, causing you to smash your hand/knuckles into the ground, or you strip/round off the bolt you are so desperatly trying not to, by purchasing the cheap(right now tool) to begin with. Ill stick with the craftsman/matco/snap on/mac tools
Old 07-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #32
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
I've been using a Taiwanese made one 10-80lbft that I got off Amazon for like $25 shipped.

Spose my Taco's going to fall apart.

Eh, I'm sure it will work for the smaller stuff. What do you use it for?

80 ft pounds isn't nearly enough for wheel lugs. You want to be at about 70-75% of your total capacity or lower. If not, you run a high risk of quickly decalibrating the wrench.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #33
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Eh, I'm sure it will work for the smaller stuff. What do you use it for?

80 ft pounds isnt nearly enough for wheel lugs. You want to be at about 70-75% of your total capacity. If not, you run a high risk of quickly decalibrating the wrench.
Mainly just the oil pan drain plug. I may look into something higher quality for spark plug and wheel work...but I got a good long time before I need to worry about either of those.

Most stuff works fine with just the German torque wrench anyway...gudnteight.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #34
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Mainly just the oil pan drain plug. I may look into something higher quality for spark plug and wheel work...but I got a good long time before I need to worry about either of those.

Most stuff works fine with just the German torque wrench anyway...gudnteight.
Gotcha.

Yea I forgot to throw in some information that was pretty critical to my statement. I meant to say, "You want to be at about 70-75% of your total capacity or lower."
Old 07-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #35
1sicktaco is on a distinguished road
1sicktaco's Tacoma Gallery
craftsman
Old 07-30-2009, 06:03 AM   #36
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
After reading the reviews here it looks like everyone is having the same problem with the Craftsman. Maybe its just that model. Something about a ring near the handle that breaks. Almost 30 reviews with the same problem. And Sears only fixes them for 1 year.

I don't want to spend $200 for an electronic model. So, I am starting to shop other brands.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:08 AM   #37
*!tweaked!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by db67fm View Post
After reading the reviews here it looks like everyone is having the same problem with the Craftsman. Maybe its just that model. Something about a ring near the handle that breaks. Almost 30 reviews with the same problem. And Sears only fixes them for 1 year.

I am starting to shop other brands.
Yup, I've got a craftsman that has a "locking ring" on the handle that broke as well. Piece of crap. And Craftsman stated they would have to send it back to the company to have it repaired, at my expense. Went out and picked up the Husky.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:21 AM   #38
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
Quote:
Yup, I've got a craftsman that has a "locking ring" on the handle that broke as well. Piece of crap. And Craftsman stated they would have to send it back to the company to have it repaired, at my expense. Went out and picked up the Husky.
Wow.. lame. I have the digital torque wrench.. been doin well with it for years. Husky is a great one as well. Everything else, you can buy crap - but something as precise as a torque wrench - buy quality

However - once i was using some random crap china made sockets and i couldn’t turn a bolt.. i put a craftsman wrench on the same bolt and took it right off.. Been a craftsman man ever since
Old 07-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #39
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a Powerbuilt ( Taiwanese made) torque wrench rated for 160Lbs. It cost around $55 and so far has held up well. I don't use it often, but when you need it, its handy. I got the super high torque rating because I had to torque a crank pulley which required 155Lbs. But now I have a wrench that will pretty much work for any setting.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #40
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
OK, I got my Craftsman 20-250 troque wrench for $36. Excellent condition! I used it last night. I set it to 80 ft/lbs and put on 4 Gorilla wheel locks. Now, since I have never used one, I torqued it until there was a "click/click" in raqpid succession. This is where I stopped. Did I use it correctly? Or should I continue torquing until it slips entirely and won't torque any longer?